Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Buying domestic tickets on ET plus luggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Ethiopia. Would be flying a total of FIVE domestic flights plus the return to/from Addis Ababa from home, so a total of SEVEN flights. You can only book 6 flights on a given itinerary online on the airline's own website.
- I find that if you book all the flights directly at one go, the domestic flights are already somewhat discounted, close to but not exactly discounts when you buy the domestic flights standalone and you then click "yes" that you are travelling internationally with ET and that gives you the "DOM71" discount code. (Class H if you buy in conjunction with international ticket but class T if standalone domestic flights). The advantage with buying everything on one go is that... I would get check in allowance of 46kg for the whole trip. If I buy the domestic flights separately, I only get 20kg of checked in luggage. (Not that I think I would go over... but still......) Also, buying the international section on ET's website saves 5% compared to buying from a travel agent.
- Thoughts/suggestions on how I should go around it ? Suck it up with 20kg and buy international flights online, and then buy the domestic sectors on their own ? Buy all 7 sectors from a travel agent ?
- I know I can't win on everything, so wondering what anybody who has done similar trips would recommend.
- P.S. is paying for a slight surcharge to fly business class on 737 between Addis and Mekele as well as Addis and Gondar worth it ?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Found some literature from Lonely Planet back in 2011 that for domestic flights, each extra kg of check-in luggage costs 10 Birr. If that is still true today, this would essentially solve my problem, if I go over the 20kg at all. Anyone can confirm ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.