RJ as OWE (Oneworld emerald) with guest

Old Jul 6, 18, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
RJ as OWE (Oneworld emerald) with guest

Hello all
Can't find much by searching - though I've probably missed it.

My partner and I (both Oneworld Emerald/BA Gold) are taking my cousin (no status) to Aqaba for some diving later this year. Our plan was go to LHR-AMM and make our way down to Aqaba. The days we want to travel (Tuesdays) there are no BA flights, only RJ, from LHR - AMM. It's been quite a few years since I have travelled RJ.

I am curious - what kind of benefits are available for OWE on RJ? We are all tall so would love to be able to choose exit row seats for the three of us, for instance. Also when I clicked through to buy the tickets, on the cheapest fare (labelled economy super saver, R fare basis code) it said 0 checked bags allowed (but was not labelled an HBO fare like on BA).

Many thanks for your help!
EB
Old Jul 6, 18, 9:36 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, A3 Gold, TK Elite Plus
IME from flights between KUL and BKK, RJ doesn't care about OWE anyhow above the general benefits. Also, no free seat selection before OLCI and their IT is a joke (OLCI gives you a BP, but it has no QR / bar code, so you still have to reach the check-in desk). Flight attendants were mostly rather indifferent.
I can only wish you some better experience, but those short 5th freedom flights were not really convincing enough to book a future long-haul trip on RJ.
Old Jul 7, 18, 5:03 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Standard OW benefits, including the CX F lounge in LHR and yes, you will have to pay for a seat in the emergency exit row. If you are tall, I would suggest searching for a date when the LHR flight is operated by an A321, where you get plenty of legroom in Y.

Since you are going to AQJ, let me give you a link to this thread:

RJ domestic flights guide (including connections/AQJ airport transportation)

PS: Will come back on the baggage question after I double check with my contacts at RJ. Not sure if the non RJ Emeralds get the allowance on the HBO fares.

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Jul 7, 18 at 5:14 am
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
Standard OW benefits, including the CX F lounge in LHR and yes, you will have to pay for a seat in the emergency exit row. If you are tall, I would suggest searching for a date when the LHR flight is operated by an A321, where you get plenty of legroom in Y.

Since you are going to AQJ, let me give you a link to this thread:

RJ domestic flights guide (including connections/AQJ airport transportation)

PS: Will come back on the baggage question after I double check with my contacts at RJ. Not sure if the non RJ Emeralds get the allowance on the HBO fares.
Thank you! Will await your response... we are going to do some diving so will have a bit of kit with us.
Old Jul 9, 18, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Expatbear View Post
Thank you! Will await your response... we are going to do some diving so will have a bit of kit with us.
I am afraid you won't like the response though. I emailed RJ today and got this:

Old Jul 11, 18, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Aha... ok thank you. might just try and shift my travel days and go with BA then :-(
Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Expatbear View Post
Aha... ok thank you. might just try and shift my travel days and go with BA then :-(
Thanks for the help!
Ironically BA are the ones who pioneered removing free baggage for OW status with the cheapest Y fares.
Note that you get free baggage with RJ for booking classes above super saver.
Regardless, RJ definitely isn't the OW airline with the strongest status recognition. Unlike CX though, which generally has strong status recognition, RJ gave me priority security vouchers at BKK, FWIW.
Old Jul 23, 18, 3:17 am

OWE. So on a normal fare (Y), with normal baggage (30kg) are you guys saying that RJ would only give me an extra piece as per one world website extra baggage allowance

I wonder if its 23 or 30kg? One would think 30kg allowance + 30kg extra piece, since its an extra piece allowed.

Anyone have any actual experiences with this?
Old Jul 23, 18, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by s115 View Post
OWE. So on a normal fare (Y), with normal baggage (30kg) are you guys saying that RJ would only give me an extra piece as per one world website extra baggage allowance

I wonder if its 23 or 30kg? One would think 30kg allowance + 30kg extra piece, since its an extra piece allowed.

Anyone have any actual experiences with this?
Yes, 2x30 in Y and 30+30+23 in J.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:05 am

Hi thanks for the reply. I see you are RJ emerald (I assume that means RJ platinum plus).
I am qantas platinium = OWE. My concern is that the below website is only applicable to yourself as an RJ OWE, not to other airlines OWE, flying on a RJ fare.

https://rj.com/en/royal-plus/manage-...luggage-policy

Search this Thread