Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Tanzania 787-8 almost delivered

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Some updates.

In short, DAR-JNB direct route scheduled to start in July. Tickets are not on sale yet. No mention of which aircraft will serve this route, but I would expect A220 to be most likely. Don't you think?
And perhaps more interesting, it says:
The Mumbai and Guangzhou routes will be inaugurated when negotiations with authorities in targeted countries to enable us to land are complete.
https://mobile.thecitizen.co.tz/busi...V0JWDcsQGkox5A
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Some updates.

In short, DAR-JNB direct route scheduled to start in July. Tickets are not on sale yet. No mention of which aircraft will serve this route, but I would expect A220 to be most likely. Don't you think?
And perhaps more interesting, it says:

https://mobile.thecitizen.co.tz/busi...V0JWDcsQGkox5A
For the moment, it looks like the Dreamliner
Let's see if they keep it that way
Old May 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
The schedule for these two new routes are as follows:

Dar es Salaam – Johannesburg eff 28JUN19 4 weekly 787-8
TC208 DAR1030 – 1245JNB 788 x246
TC209 JNB1420 – 1835DAR 788 x246

Dar es Salaam – Mumbai eff 17JUL19 3 weekly 787-8
TC400 DAR1800 – 0250+1BOM 788 357
TC401 BOM0410 – 0800DAR 788 146

As has been noted elsewhere, at least one of the new routes (to JNB and BOM) will have to be operated by the A220 as the announced route schedule means that the single 787 will not be able to fly both routes. I'd assume that, for prestige reasons, the 787 will end up operating to BOM and the A220 to JNB, even though traffic/freight loads might actually favour the opposite.

Besides the above logistical constraints in terms of aircraft usage, the fact that the flight from JNB arrives in Dar 35 minutes after the flight to BOM has departed also makes connections on the route impossible. This is very confusing from a business perspective.

Air Tanzania has recently increased its domestic flight offering in Tanzania, including increasing service to Dodoma and launching Iringa as a destination. All things considered it's evident that working on building up a comprehensive (and reliable!) network domestically and regionally (including launching flights to Nairobi which still haven't happened) is far more financially prudent that operating the 787 on such an underutilised, inefficient schedule.
Goaguy likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by W126Pilot
​​​​​​I'd assume that, for prestige reasons, the 787 will end up operating to BOM and the A220 to JNB, even though traffic/freight loads might actually favour the opposite.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they could get more traffic on the BOM route than JNB.
Fastjet had an increasingly difficult time to fill their seats on the DAR-JNB route, I assume one of the reasons beeing that their dept and arrival times were not favourable for business travellers.
There is a massive population of Indian origin in Tanzania, many frequently traveling to India, they all have to fly via e. g. NBO, ADD or DXB now. I am sure a direct route would be well welcomed. On the JNB route they have to compete with SAA that already fly nonstop.

What I really cannot understand is why a NBO flight hasn't been their first priority. Or maybe it is, but beeing delayed by politics.
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
So almost a full year spending tax payers money on a 787-8...... doing.... what...??? shame shame shame shame!!!
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
So almost a full year spending tax payers money on a 787-8...... doing.... what...??? shame shame shame shame!!!
Why shouldn't they?

Tanzania already offers free universal healthcare; everybody has running water and flush toilets; the thriving economy ensures full employment; pensions and welfare benefits are more than generous; the government runs a huge budget surplus; and education on all levels is world-class.

Surely it makes sense to spend any spare change on a shiny airplane?

Johan
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I believe the Dreamliner was used a few times for TPDF (Tanzania People’s Defence Force) troops heading to South Sudan for peace keeping missions also.
Like RwandAir with the A330 to CAR (MINUSCA).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
I believe the Dreamliner was used a few times for TPDF (Tanzania People’s Defence Force) troops heading to South Sudan.
I Wonder if they were offered upgrades to business class at OLCI?

Johan
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I Wonder if they were offered upgrades to business class at OLCI?

Johan
Apparently, only to those showing their ATCL FF card ...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dutch media report that this Tanzanian dream plane managed to taxi into a parked KL 744F at DAR last Saturday. Both aircraft sustained damage, the KL aircraft is no longer fit to fly and is awaiting repairs. No info on the damage to the Dreamliner.

Johan
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:56 pm

Dutch media report that this Tanzanian dream plane managed to taxi into a parked KL 744F at DAR last Saturday. Both aircraft sustained damage, the KL aircraft is no longer fit to fly and is awaiting repairs. No info on the damage to the Dreamliner.

Johan
I don't speak Dutch, but still pretty sure it says an Ethiopian Airlines 787?
And as it turns out, I was in ADD Sunday night waiting for someone to arrive on ET864 from DAR. It was 2.5 hours delayed due to "mechanical issues".
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goaguy
I don't speak Dutch, but still pretty sure it says an Ethiopian Airlines 787?
You're absolutely right, I obviously need to keep both eyes open and my brain in gear when reading the news online.

What luck that it wasn't the Tanzanian Dreamliner. Thousands of pax would have been left stranded.

Johan
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
You're absolutely right, I obviously need to keep both eyes open and my brain in gear when reading the news online.

What luck that it wasn't the Tanzanian Dreamliner. Thousands of pax would have been left stranded.

Johan
All those pour Government people flying up and down to Mwanza would not be able to do so...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Flights to JNB start Friday! Who is going on the inagural flight?

Return tickets will cost $299 as a launch fare up to July 15, then $347 as the normal charge for the route. The four direct flights per week will use ATCL’s recently-acquired Boeing 787- 8 Dreamliner jet, which has the capacity to carry 262 passengers.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Flights to JNB start Friday! Who is going on the inagural flight?
Definitely be there!
Online check-in is currrently unavailable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.