Air Tanzania 787-8 almost delivered

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just saw the A220 land in Accra presumably on delivery flight?
Yes, sounds likely. If I'm not mistaken there is an official welcome event for the A220 at DAR Airport tomorrow with the president of Tanzania.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just saw the A220 land in Accra presumably on delivery flight?
that is a plane TZ can use!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Nice that they ground fastjet the day the A220 arrives... lovely politics.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:58 am

For those of you that don't have access to local Tanzanian newspapers, here are a few points from newspaper articles printed in The Guardian and Daily News over the past weeks.

- Tanzania Tourist Board has visited Chinese Tourist companies/organizations and have identified a need for direct flights between Hong Kong, Beijing and Guanzhou. Has received a firm promise of 300 chinese tourists to arrive in Jan/Feb 2019, visiting Ngorongoro and Serengeti.
- It is expected the AirTanzania 787 will start flying to Beijing in beginning of 2019.
- The recently received A220 will "enable them" to start routes to Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa as well as various new local routes, e.g. many more frequencies between DAR and Dodoma. However no specifics as to whether these routes may also potentially be flown by existing fleet also.
- A planned renovation/construction of a hangar at Kilimanjaro airport is expected to be completed in 2019 which will enable AirTanzania to service their own planes so they do not have to fly to Ethiopia or South Africa for maintenance. $3m has just now been allocated by the ministry just for A220 maintenance.
- AirTanzania is currently at 34k passengers per month, up from 5k. Very small numbers indeed.
- President is furious over public officials which have been booked on tickets on AirTanzania by their offices but don't show up for the flights. Has ordered that these should be deducted in salaries for the costs of the tickets.

EDIT:
And re:fastjet - apperently Fastjet has leased some 737-500, but these will not be given permission to enter TZ until Fastjet has cleared their outstanding debt to TAA and other government institutions.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Speaking of the A220:
Air Tanzania to operate Dar es Salaam – Harare – Lusaka – Dar es Salaam service from 22FEB19 with A220-300, 3 times a week. Harare and Lusaka both previously served by the airline until mid-2000s
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goaguy
Has received a firm promise of 300 chinese tourists to arrive in Jan/Feb 2019, visiting Ngorongoro and Serengeti.
Let's hope the elephants and rhinos are shut in byre and hut well before these tourists land.

President is furious over public officials which have been booked on tickets on AirTanzania by their offices but don't show up for the flights.

Reminds me of LAM in the Good Old Days.

Showing up at the JNB check-in desk for my first ever LAM flight with a "status OK" paper ticket in my hand, I told that the flight was overbooked, so I had been placed on the standby list. The check-in agent hastened to reassure me that I had nothing whatsoever to worry about. Since I was white I was #2 on the list, with only an American diplomat ahead of me. Sure enough, I was soon handed a boarding card. Upon boarding the aircraft, I was rather surprised to see that not even a third of the seats were taken.

Once in Maputo, I soon discovered how things worked. Anybody with a connection to the ruling Frelimo clique could book tickets in the secure knowledge that they would never have to pay. Many of them therefore booked tickets to JNB by the bushel, just in case they wanted to go shopping, see a dentist or doctor or avail themselves of any other service not available in that war-torn hellhole country of theirs. Consequently, most flights departed with tons of empty seats.

I made sure to fly SAA to MPM from then on. If nothing else, they still served proper meals, whereas LAM gave you a stale sandwich and your choice of flat Coke or Fanta poured from steel coffee pots.

Johan
Goaguy likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

If Magafuli (president) is angry on officials not using tickets and demanding that the costs are deducted from their salaries... he should deduct the trillion shillings which the 787s have and will cost from his own salary. The purchase of the planes was wrong and he took the final decion. People actually die in Tanzania due to the lack of food and medical care...
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:12 am
Original Poster

So.... any news... was at the airport most of the day in DSM at the local flights terminal, yesterday and the 787 did not move...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
People actually die in Tanzania due to the lack of food and medical care...
Not sure where you get this information from?
People don't starve in Tanzania. That is a ridiculous statement.
Yes, medical care is an issue and I agree that the president could have found many other ways to spend that money that may have benefited the general population in a much better way. But saying Tanzanians are starving is untrue, this country is blessed with some of the most fertile land one can imagine.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Not sure where you get this information from?
People don't starve in Tanzania. That is a ridiculous statement.
Yes, medical care is an issue and I agree that the president could have found many other ways to spend that money that may have benefited the general population in a much better way. But saying Tanzanians are starving is untrue, this country is blessed with some of the most fertile land one can imagine.
I am involved in numerous projects. This is one which sums the problem up nicely.

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-fac...r-in-tanzania/

And you do not solve any of the problems by having a 250.000.000 U$ plane flying up and down to Mwanza.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:18 am

There is a massive difference between claiming that Tanzanians die from hunger and saying some are malnutritioned. If Tanzanians really die from this, then I do apologise for calling it ridiculous and have then learned something new.
​​​​​​According to WFP Tanzania is produces enough food but there can be local shortages due to difficulties in distributing it.

Anyway, lets move on to the real discussion. I also saw the 787 parked at a gate the other day, but surely it must fly?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

If you die from malnutrition you die of starvation in the end as you have not received the nutrition you needed to live. Lot’s of kids die due to this.
Tanzania has a very big growing issue in feeding the fast increasing population in a proper nutritious way. Tanzania will become a fully dependent on import food country soon.

back to the topic

I flew in and out DSM yesterday as we where flying up and down between znz and dsm. She was parked at gate 6 the whole day as far as I could notice.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
She was parked at gate 6 the whole day as far as I could notice.
Then at least she is pulling her weight in the global battle against apocalyptic climate change by not burning any fuel.

Johan
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
5H-TCG, the 788, has been flying a single daily round trip to Mwanza since it was delivered.

Up through the end of January, it was flying the evening out and back (leaving Dar at 6pm, back by 10pm), but since then it's been flying the morning rotation (leaving Dar at 6am and back by 10am). The rest of the time, as you've all noted, it sits in Dar.

They keep pushing back the expected start date of flights to India and China.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by W126Pilot
They keep pushing back the expected start date of flights to India and China.
They had so much plans, none come into action. Why is not deployed to ZNZ and KIA?

Hope the plane is not trashed....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.