Wiki Posts
Search

Taag to start flying to Singapore from Luanda

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Taag to start flying to Singapore from Luanda

The front page of the print edition of today's Jornal de Angola includes a story that Taag will start flying to Singapore.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Meanwhile other Angola newspapers run the story that a bilateral agreement allows each country up to four frequencies a week between the two countries.

Aberta rota aérea entre Luanda e Singapura
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Looks like an ego / prestige route. Too thin.

But then we, Singaporeans, have just been granted visa-free access to Angola. Are they expecting a flood of tourists there? While I am not the typical singaporean and would love to visit Angola, the majority of my fellow citizens would still prefer to go to Australia or Taiwan for their vacation.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
There are many Chinese and Vietnamese in Angola. I presume the rationale is Taag will fly them to Singapore and they will connect onto SG and other airlines to continue onto China and Vietnam.

At present EK has the China - Angola market rather wrapped up. KQ and EK share the Vietnamese market.

There are very few Singaporeans in Angola although China Sonangol is based in Singapore.

There is a small Korean and Japanese community in Angola too. Some Australian mining companies have interests in Angola too.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Yeah, I suspect this was decided on the expectation of business travelers to Angola, not for tourists. For those tourists who want to go, Angola is opening up it's Tourist visa availability to quite a few countries as opposed to in the past where it was very difficult. But for business travel, it's a big oil & gas market which is why there has been a direct LAD-IAH flight for a number of years (though Sonair is discontinuing the flight this year). If I were going on the company's dime from SE Asia, I'd still prefer EK, ET, or KQ. There are a couple of recent fairly humorous reviews of TAAG's First Class (LIS-LAD and LAD-GRU), I can't imagine Business Class.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I would much rather go SQ then connect onto SAA at JNB.
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.