FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   RJ Exist Row and Bulkhead Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1902762-rj-exist-row-bulkhead-seats.html)

flyerby Apr 7, 2018 1:36 pm

RJ Exist Row and Bulkhead Seats

Flying out of TLV. At checkin, RJ requesting $75 for exist row and $130 for bulkhead. Bulkhead used to be free not log ago. In OptionTown it’s $60 for exist row and there’s no options for bulkhead.
EDIT: The above journey is TLV-AMM-BKK. The seat info refers to AMM-BKK leg.

Rami Tamimi Apr 8, 2018 2:04 am

What took longer: to write this post, or the TLV flight? :D

flyerby Apr 8, 2018 4:37 am

I actually finished to write the post before I boarded the plane:)
In AMM they wanted JOT 85 (~ USD 120) for bulkhead seat. It was too expensive.
I ended up sitting on 2 bulkhead seats for free :)

SK AAR Apr 8, 2018 4:51 am

Who would pay USD 130 for bulkhead seat on a short TLV-AMM flight :confused:

Rami Tamimi Apr 8, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29615446)
I actually finished to write the post before I boarded the plane:)
In AMM they wanted JOT 85 (~ USD 120) for bulkhead seat. It was too expensive.
I ended up sitting on 2 bulkhead seats for free :)

It's cheaper if you do it online before check-in (25/75/85 USD for rows 6-15/ emergency exit/bulkhead seats respectively.)

Rami Tamimi Apr 8, 2018 5:18 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 29615474)
Who would pay USD 130 for bulkhead seat on a short TLV-AMM flight :confused:

100s of people a month pay 900USD for a return in J to TLV.

flyerby Apr 8, 2018 6:10 am

Sorry everyone. My bad. I was flying yesterday TLV-AMM-BKK. Everything I wrote was about AMM-BKK (I did ask at the aTLV checkin counter about seats for AMM-BKK). I wrote it in a hurry and hence the misleading impression that I’m talking about TLV-AMM.

flyerby Apr 17, 2018 5:39 am

On the way back, BKK-AMM, asked for a free bulkhead seat (instead of paying THB3,800) but was denied (nicely - the station manager at BKK is great and doing an excellent job). Was given an ailse seat with no one sitting next to me in the middle seat. Just before take off, the passenger sitting in the window seat went to sit next to his buddy, so I immediately went to sleep on the 3 seat sofa I got :)

makrom Apr 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Was told no exit row or bulkhead FOC for OWE (non RJ) at check in in BKK for BKK-AMM (787), but was able to select exit row for AMM-FRA (A320) during OLCI. When I checked in for FRA-AMM and AMM-BKK in FRA, I got free exit row for both flights. Exit row on A319 is actually quite nice as it is basically a regular seat with more legroom. On the 787 however, the middle seat gave me the most cramped flying experience I ever had (on a regular aircraft). I actually found the normal aisle seat I had on my flight back to be more comfortable.

Rami Tamimi Apr 23, 2018 1:18 am

Originally Posted by makrom (Post 29672402)
Was told no exit row or bulkhead FOC for OWE (non RJ) at check in in BKK for BKK-AMM (787), but was able to select exit row for AMM-FRA (A320) during OLCI. When I checked in for FRA-AMM and AMM-BKK in FRA, I got free exit row for both flights. Exit row on A319 is actually quite nice as it is basically a regular seat with more legroom. On the 787 however, the middle seat gave me the most cramped flying experience I ever had (on a regular aircraft). I actually found the normal aisle seat I had on my flight back to be more comfortable.

A few points:
-as I said before, there is no entitlement for an exit row seat/bulkhead row. In BKK, they went by the book, in FRA they used a bit of discretion. The probability of them going by the book will keep increasing with time.
-charging only applies to flights to LHR/BKK/HKG/KUL/JFK/ORD/YUL/DTW AND only the ones operated by 787.
Row 5 and 25DEF: 85USD (50USD for LHR)
Rows 6-15: 25USD (20USD for LHR)
Row 25ABC/GHJ: 75USD (35USD for LHR)
Row 16-20&26-37: 15USD (strange glitch, only applicable to SOME itienaries "touching HKG)
on narrowbodies, Row 7 (bulkhead) and emergency exit seats are free, but not available before OLCI. Occasionally, those seats might also be blocked and only released by the airport counter.... with RJ, you never know for sure.
on 787 (destinations closer than LHR) Rows 5-25 are blocked and the rest is available for free.

-since it's a relatively new concept for RJ, what we see today is not the final version. When launched, an RJ Platinum could select a seat in rows 6-15 for free... I can still do it on the LHR sector, but not on the HKG sector. Moreover, a charge now applies for every seat on the HKG sector and not for the first 10 rows. My prediction is that flights operated by the A32X and Embraers will also move to this scheme later on.
-Frankly, I don't care at all. I just always get 35G with 35H blocked. I just don't get why are people in general so obsessed with sitting in the exit row.

PS: I would NEVER EVER choose a middle seat over a seat in the aisle.

flyerby Apr 23, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 29672766)
Row 5 and 25DEF: 85USD (50USD for LHR)
I just always get 35G with 35H blocked.

Row 5 is now $130 at least for BKK.
You mean 26DEF since there's no 25DEF.
How do you get 35G with 35H blocked? Is that only possible at checkin time?
When sitting in 35G&H, are you able to move the armrest close to the window to use that extra space?

makrom Apr 23, 2018 8:08 am

-Frankly, I don't care at all. I just always get 35G with 35H blocked. I just don't get why are people in general so obsessed with sitting in the exit row.

How can you get 35H blocked? That would be quite the game changer. I sat in 35D and that XXX pax in 35A had free seat next to him, yet he put his legs through the aisle in my legroom, where he battled for superiority with the guy in 36D who couldn't decide whether to put his feet on my armrests or all the way through in my legroom. Not sure I can blame RJ for that but it was far from a pleasant experience.
I am not a fan of the 787 exit row either, as 3-3-3 is cramped enough as it is and the solid arm rests don't hep that at all. I truly wonder if there's an actual market for $130.

Rami Tamimi Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by makrom (Post 29673647)
How can you get 35H blocked? That would be quite the game changer. I sat in 35D and that XXX pax in 35A had free seat next to him, yet he put his legs through the aisle in my legroom, where he battled for superiority with the guy in 36D who couldn't decide whether to put his feet on my armrests or all the way through in my legroom. Not sure I can blame RJ for that but it was far from a pleasant experience.
I am not a fan of the 787 exit row either, as 3-3-3 is cramped enough as it is and the solid arm rests don't hep that at all. I truly wonder if there's an actual market for $130.

You need status, good attitude and preferably to know the station staff a bit (not too hard if you fly RJ regularly). In AMM, the staff at the Crown Check-in lounge only deal with elite members and J cl pax, so they do try to help out.... if you are transmitting, try the reception desk at the lounge. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but my ratio ex HKG and ex AMM is about 95%.... much lower ex LHR.

Appart from the blocking, people, in general, tend to try to sit in the front and preferably in rows 5 and 25... let them do that. 35G/H has slightly more legroom (as it was initially designed as a crew rest area) and since there are no toilets in the rear, there is virtually 0 traffic (outside of meal times). Compare that to the seats in the exit row, where everyone always queues up for the toilet, or just use the area to stretch out..... and you said, the seats in Rows 5 and 25 are slightly narrower due to the fixed armrest.

Rami Tamimi Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29673046)
Row 5 now is $130 at least for BKK.
You mean 26DEF since there's no 25DEF.
How do you get 35G with 35H blocked? Is that only possible at checkin time?
When sitting in 35G&H, are you able to move the armrest close to the window to use that extra space?

Well, it's like a lottery. You can get a guaranteed exit row seat for 75USD online, or try to ask them for a free one at the airport and potentially pay 0, or 130$.

The armrest @ the window seat does not move.... but you can still manage to use the extra space.

PS: Yes, my bad, I meant 26DEF.

SK AAR Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am

In general, how are the loads on the BKK flights? I'm booked in Y on RJ180 and RJ183 in mid July and considering to place a bid for an upgrade to C but I will not do it if there is a good chance of a free seat next to me. I have no status with RJ (I'm BA Bronze)

Rami Tamimi Apr 23, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 29673898)
In general, how are the loads on the BKK flights? I'm booked in Y on RJ180 and RJ183 in mid July and considering to place a bid for an upgrade to C but I will not do it if there is a good chance of a free seat next to me. I have no status with RJ (I'm BA Bronze)

​​​​​​
Generally, pretty full (especially now with all those cheap tickets), but sometimes you can just suddenly get a flight with only 80 seats sold. Keep checking expertflyer closer to departure.

flyerby Apr 23, 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 29673898)
In general, how are the loads on the BKK flights?

In July it quite full as it’s the summer holiday in Israel and there are many people traveling to Thailand.

flyerby Apr 23, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 29674021)
​​​​​​
Keep checking expertflyer closer to departure.

In my last flight BKK-AMM. A week before departure, EF showed Y was fully booked. A day before it showed there was 1 seat free and on the flight itself I was able to secure a full row for myself :)

Rami Tamimi Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29674228)

In my last flight BKK-AMM. A week before departure, EF showed Y was fully booked. A day before it showed there was 1 seat free and on the flight itself I was able to secure a full row for myself :)

Happens all the time... it only takes one flight to get delayed (especially LHR, andTLV) for the load to suddenly drop. 90% of pax on the BKK flights are connecting to/from somewhere.

flyerby Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29673046)
Row 5 is now $130 at least for BKK.

On RJ website, row 5 on AMM-BKK is still $85 but the counter price at least at TLV, AMM & BKK is $130.

Rows 6-15: 25USD (20USD for LHR)

On RJ website, it's free for RJ Gold/Platinum.