Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Royal Air Maroc: Cancelled my booking due to no show, without any notification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

I recently travelled to RAK from LGW via CAS
So my trip was scheduled to be:
LGW -> CAS -> RAK
and return
RAK -> CAS -> LGW.

When landing in CAS I ended up taking a train to Marakesh instead since it would be quicker than waiting the hours for my connection. (So I just missed CAS -> RAK)
Turns out they cancelled my entire trip including my return because of a "no show".

Looking around the forum it looks like "no show"'s are a known phenonmenon.

What I wanna know is:
Do I have any recourse with them cancelling my flight?
Should I have been notified that it was cancelled?

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:25 pm

As you note, no-shows are quite the known phenomenon and the general rule of thumb is that you should only no-show at the point where your trip is over. For most people that is the final leg(s) of the return portion of a R/T. Pretty much a slam-dunk, once you no-showed the rest of your trip is cancelled. As for notification, not sure why they should notify you of a breach of the contract of carriage. From a Royal Air Maroc "Legal Notice" Page: http://m.royalairmaroc.com/us-en-mob...l%20Notice.pdf

6. Cancellation of Reservations on an Onward or Return Flight If a Passenger does not check in for a flight, the Carrier may cancel their Reservations for the onward or return legs, unless the Passenger has informed the Carrier in advance and in compliance with the fare conditions (see, in particular, Article III.3 "Coupon Order of Use").

To those ends, did you notify the carrier that you were going to no-show?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I sadly did not. I've done a no-show before on other airlines and had never experienced this. JetBlue for instance allowed me to do this. I was reading their T&C earlier and saw this but also came across

5. Reconfirmation of Reservations
(a) Reservations for onward or return flights may be subject to re-confirmation, within certain
time limits. The Carrier shall state when reconfirmation is required and how to reconfirm. If a
Passenger does not reconfirm, even though they were requested to do so, the Carrier may
cancel their Reservations for the onward and/or return flights. However, if the Passenger
informs the Carrier that they still wish to travel and if there are available seats on the flight
concerned, the Carrier shall reinstate the Passenger´s Reservation. If there are no available
seats on said flight, the Carrier shall endeavour to transport the Passenger to an onward airport
or to their final destination.

At the airport when I found out my reservations were cancelled I did try to get them reinstated and was told that there were no available seats. However a companion on the flight confirmed that there were a lot of empty seats on the return flights
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
It is standard airline practice, to cancel all the following legs if you no-show on an intermediate leg. To re-instate your ticket you would likely have to pay the no-show fee. Your best bet is to contact the airline and try to get this done. Keep in mind the no-show fee may be higher than purchasing an outright new ticket depending on which type of ticket you have purchased. Unfortunately you broke the CoC's so the airline is within their rights to cancel the remaining legs and it was likely automatically done through the system when you no-showed.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I wasnt offered a chance to pay any no-show fee. I even tried to just outright buy a ticket and the rep told me I wasnt able to buy a ticket less than 3 hours before departure :-(
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry, but you no-showed for a flight/segment and the remaning coupons were automatically cancelled. Nothing new there - this is standard practise. Move on! - the Airline owes you nothing.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AdamMonroe
I sadly did not. I've done a no-show before on other airlines and had never experienced this. JetBlue for instance allowed me to do this.
In some cases, a "return" ticket is just sold as two one-way tickets; i.e. the airline doesn't really see the return ticket as a return ticket in the traditional sense. It's usually LCCs or airlines that have a (semi-) LCC model that operate in this manner; in my experience, Aer Lingus shorthaul operates this way (but not when transatlantic flights are involved); it seems like JetBlue are similar.

This, however, is very much the exception in the industry.

If you ever miss a flight, you really should contact the airline ASAP, and preferably as soon as possible after it becomes clear that you are going to miss the flight. If you don't, the rest of the ticket is forfeited - so it really behoves you to contact them. (Not that contacting them is guaranteed to have the return flight protected - but at least you should try)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.