Oman air layover at muscat

Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
easy visa on arrival costs 5 OMR.
Not the most helpful comment

Follow the link below, then select unsponsored visas and look at details for visa type 23. You'll find visa sub-type 23A is a 24H visa available on arrival if travelling on Oman Air to a third country. It should be straightforward, but it's probably a good idea to call the airline and ask them to confirm the visa is available on arrival. The visa issuing process changed radically a few months' back, but easy access to the country for passengers on (say) overnight transit is essential for the working of the airline's hub at Muscat.

An alternative is to get a tourist e-visa in advance, it's a relatively simple process but the cost is a whopping OMR20: the short term tourist visa has disappeared.

https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/types-of-visa?p_p_id=ViewVisaTypes_WAR_viewvisawizardportle t&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p _p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_ViewVisaTypes_WAR_viewvisawizar dportlet_myaction=viewVisaType

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 30, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Would love to know how to get sponsorship from BA or QR.

Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not the most helpful comment

Follow the link below, then select unsponsored visas and look at details for visa type 23. You'll find visa sub-type 23A is a 24H visa available on arrival if travelling on Oman Air to a third country. It should be straightforward, but it's probably a good idea to call the airline and ask them to confirm the visa is available on arrival. The visa issuing process changed radically a few months' back, but easy access to the country for passengers on (say) overnight transit is essential for the working of the airline's hub at Muscat.

An alternative is to get a tourist e-visa in advance, it's a relatively simple process but the cost is a whopping OMR20: the short term tourist visa has disappeared.

https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/types-of...n=viewVisaType
The short term visa costs 5 OMR and is a straight forward procedure on arrival for eligible nationalities.
Arrive, fill form,pay money,get immigration stamp, walk out.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Thanks for the confirmation, I believe the is recent info ..?
Also, Any recommendation to see in/around MCT for our ~8 hr layover..?
Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Does the type 23A require airline sponsorship ? above website says so..
210. Must be sponsored by an airline which operates in Oman....

I checked with Oman Air and they say they, do not sponsor visas for layover of < 8 hrs , ours is 7h55mins...ridiculous.
Has anyone obtained above visa without airline sponsorship..?

Appreciate your response..Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I emailed the ROP and got the following response:

If you not live airport you don’t need a visa
If you want enter less 10 days you can take on arrival airport

Now it is a bit unclear and I am seeking further clarification as to the availability of a transit visa.

Another question is are visas still available on arrival.

All very confusing.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:56 am

The reply which confirms Ian's above post:

Yeas cost 5 RO
من:
تاريخ الإرسال: 03 يوليو, 2018 07:18 م
إلى: info-OmaneVisa
الموضوع: RE: Transit visa

Can you please confirm that the transit visa is available at the airport for a cost of 5 Riyals?

Thank you
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
The reply which confirms Ian's above post:

Yeas cost 5 RO
من:
تاريخ الإرسال: 03 يوليو, 2018 07:18 م
إلى: info-OmaneVisa
الموضوع: RE: Transit visa

Can you please confirm that the transit visa is available at the airport for a cost of 5 Riyals?

Thank you
visa is available on arrival for eligible nationalities for 5 Riyals. Arrive, pay your money , passport stamped, walk out airport.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:29 am

Where is the visa purchased from at the airport? Is there a kiosk?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:54 am

On arrival...You can not miss it
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
The short term visa costs 5 OMR and is a straight forward procedure on arrival for eligible nationalities.
Arrive, fill form,pay money,get immigration stamp, walk out.

I think we are talking at cross purposes. There was a short term (7-day) tourist visa available for favoured passports, available on arrival. This was done away with last year, replaced by the standard 2-week tourist visa for OMR20, also bought on arrival at the Travelex window.

The authorities have now introduced a system of electronic visas which they are trying to make stick, though they are having to allow some leeway during an interim period which might last years .... or end tomorrow . The standard tourist visa still costs OMR20.

Partly to aid the Oman Air hub, transit visas should be issued on arrival. These should cost OMR5. The website suggests these stays should be "sponsored" by the airline. Lord knows what that means, but it would represent an administrative feat quite beyond the abilities of Oman Air. I imagine you'll want to have a copy of your itinerary/boarding cards ready to show.

It's pretty shocking if the airline cannot give clear advice on the current situation.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
A few updates on Muscat lounges from around the web.

Primeclass lounge, which seems to get great reviews (and which some people prefer to the new Oman Air biz lounge) is, at least for the time being, accessible with Priority Pass:
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Loun...-International

Oman Air Lounges - both First and Business Class lounges are now open, with some good photos from Lucky of OMAAT (First Class only) and Sam Chui (First and business class).

Looking forward to my visit in August
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Has anyone passed through the WY lounge recently? Following the official opening of the airport last week can I hope that the spa has finally opened? Will be passing through next week so hoping to get a massage during my layover.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HKprince
Has anyone passed through the WY lounge recently? Following the official opening of the airport last week can I hope that the spa has finally opened? Will be passing through next week so hoping to get a massage during my layover.
I’ve been in & out of MCT a few times earlier this month and think I used the (fairly impressive) WY lounge on three occasions. Each visit was fairly short and I didn’t investigate the availability of the spa. Is it meant to be on the upper level ? If so, then I fear the answer to your question may be no - on the basis that the upper level appeared to be still closed off. If, however, the spa is located in the ‘quiet’ zone, to the right of the desk used by the Guest Services agent, then the answer could be yes ...... i did see one or two people going into this part of the lounge. Apologies for the inconclusive response !

I say above ‘fairly impressive’ lounge because I actually feel the old lounge was very pleasant, and perhaps (?) with more variety of seating types, including alcoves (sort of) where one could tuck oneself away. In the new set-up, people appear to be more ‘concentrated’ and less spread out, so to speak. Would be interested in what others think. Either way, the food & drink offerings are very good.

As an additional data point : with so little in the way of F class routes on WY, the First section of the lounge continues to get remarkably little use, and is in fact often closed completely. I was given a mini-tour of the area by a helpful WY staffer and it is certainly very well specced ..... not least the top quality, very elegant, table settings beside the bar.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Originally Posted by subject2load

I’ve been in & out of MCT a few times earlier this month and think I used the (fairly impressive) WY lounge on three occasions. Each visit was fairly short and I didn’t investigate the availability of the spa. Is it meant to be on the upper level ? If so, then I fear the answer to your question may be no - on the basis that the upper level appeared to be still closed off. If, however, the spa is located in the ‘quiet’ zone, to the right of the desk used by the Guest Services agent, then the answer could be yes ...... i did see one or two people going into this part of the lounge. Apologies for the inconclusive response !

I say above ‘fairly impressive’ lounge because I actually feel the old lounge was very pleasant, and perhaps (?) with more variety of seating types, including alcoves (sort of) where one could tuck oneself away. In the new set-up, people appear to be more ‘concentrated’ and less spread out, so to speak. Would be interested in what others think. Either way, the food & drink offerings are very good.

As an additional data point : with so little in the way of F class routes on WY, the First section of the lounge continues to get remarkably little use, and is in fact often closed completely. I was given a mini-tour of the area by a helpful WY staffer and it is certainly very well specced ..... not least the top quality, very elegant, table settings beside the bar.

Thanks for the insight! Yes, it should be on the upper floor with the staircase that has been roped off. Guess I'll have to try again on my next trip. I do cherish the old lounge but feel that the new lounge is a net improvement over it. At peak times the old lounge would be quite crowded and there just didn't seem to have the luxurious elegance the new lounge offers. For more privacy the room at the very back with curtained off chairs are there as well as the private cinema sort of rooms. Also on the left side before the first dining area there appear to be some sort of large rooms with seating. I actually think the new lounge has way more seating types with highchairs, bar seating, arm chairs, loungers etc. Not to mention that weird set of executive chairs in a circle in the back room with the curtained off loungers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.