Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Malawian Airlines - 1hr 15min layover in Lilongwe

Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, SK, QR

Will 1hr 5min in Lilongwe be too short of a transfer time? Am thinking of booking the below flights (BLZ stop is on same flight so no worries about that one).

Will they put me on the next flight if I miss the flight to Nairobi?

Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:39 am

The same aircraft does the JNB and NBO flights so no chance of missed connection.

Malawian has 2 planes - the 737 does NBO-LLW-BLZ-JNB vv and the Dash 8 does DAR-BLZ-LLW-LUN/HRE vv

That aside, 1h05m is about 1h04m longer than you need to make a connecting flight in Lilongwe. It isn't a particularly large airport.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
The same aircraft does the JNB and NBO flights so no chance of missed connection.

Malawian has 2 planes - the 737 does NBO-LLW-BLZ-JNB vv and the Dash 8 does DAR-BLZ-LLW-LUN/HRE vv

That aside, 1h05m is about 1h04m longer than you need to make a connecting flight in Lilongwe. It isn't a particularly large airport.
That works out quite well in that case! Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles

Accurate... you'll stay on the plane in Blantyre, get off in Lilongwe, go through the customs hall where you'll have a separate cue to go to the transit lounge / departure gate... then you'll get back on the same plane.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b_magee
Accurate... you'll stay on the plane in Blantyre, get off in Lilongwe, go through the customs hall where you'll have a separate cue to go to the transit lounge / departure gate... then you'll get back on the same plane.
Thanks for confirming.

Do you think there is a large chance that the flight times change or the route is cancelled? I am considering purchasing the ticket for August, but am a bit wary given they only have 2 planes.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by AJ747M
Thanks for confirming.

Do you think there is a large chance that the flight times change or the route is cancelled? I am considering purchasing the ticket for August, but am a bit wary given they only have 2 planes.
Malawian is owned and operated by ET, so if in the remote chance they did cancel the route, I would expect ET just to switch you over to their own flight via ADD instead. I wouldn't worry about that part.

This is interesting, so assume then even transit passengers have to go through the currency check shakedown even they didn't enter Malawi?
(OP, no concern for you, it's to check if people are leaving the country with Malawian currency as it's highly restricted, foreign currency is fine)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
This is interesting, so assume then even transit passengers have to go through the currency check shakedown even they didn't enter Malawi?
(OP, no concern for you, it's to check if people are leaving the country with Malawian currency as it's highly restricted, foreign currency is fine)
If you're referring to the physical search at the departure gate security point, then yes. But from my experience this physical search is more because their x-ray machine and/or metal detector isn't always functional (or an employee has unplugged it in order to charge their phone) - Though I was through last week and for the first time in several years the x-ray equipment at the main entrance (pre-check in) was actually working! There are upgrades in progress (thanks to the Japanese Development program), and I believe getting the security equipment functional is part of that program.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:56 am

It's to check if people are leaving the country with Malawian currency as it's highly restricted, foreign currency is fine
Not quite. It remains illegal to enter, exit or transit Malawi with over $10000 or equivalent in cash without making a declaration.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Not quite. It remains illegal to enter, exit or transit Malawi with over $10000 or equivalent in cash without making a declaration.
True, but that's the same in almost any country.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:39 am

True, but that's the same in almost any country.
The catch is that Malawi customs doesn't actually know what to do if you declare the currency. I had an issue where I was carrying $14000 cash in transit through Malawi to Zimbabwe last year and I spent the better part of an hour while they tried to figure out how to document it as being declared. Eventually, my lawyer (wife) contacted a senior manager at MRA who called the head of customs and they found a form that was repurposed for currency declaration by scratching out the heading and re-writing "Currency Declaration Form" in pen.
b_magee and dvs7310 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Will a transit visa be required for this flight?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:10 pm

You will be herded over to a separate immigration desk for transit passengers where they will check your onward boarding pass and passport (and possibly stamp it?), and then you'll go directly up to the transit lounge. Nothing that you should have to pay for or worry about before-hand.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:04 am

You will be herded over to a separate immigration desk for transit passengers where they will check your onward boarding pass and passport (and possibly stamp it?), and then you'll go directly up to the transit lounge. Nothing that you should have to pay for or worry about before-hand.
It is actually a very smooth process as there are dozens of pax transiting from JNB through to LLW and points onwards every day. Just follow the person who is calling out for transit passengers and they will ensure you get through the formalities with minimal hassles. If someone tries to ask you for cash, just pretend you don't have any and they will laugh and move on.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

@b_magee @B747-437B thanks for the help. I'll make sure to have empty pockets
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:46 am

Nothing that you should have to pay for or worry about before-hand.
Just to clarify, you WILL be required to obtain either a visa or a transit clearance letter in advance if you hold a passport issued by Libya, Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Sudan, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Egypt or Russia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.