Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Kenya Airways announces daily non-stop flights to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways announces daily non-stop flights to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Thumbs up Kenya Airways announces daily non-stop flights to JFK

This is a really good news for US based travellers :

Kenya Airways plans New York launch in late-Oct 2018

KQ002 NBO2325 – 0625+1JFK 788 D
KQ003 JFK1225 – 1055+1NBO 788 D

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-oct-2018/

If you want to discover KQ's nice product, you can read this recent TR :

After the rain, comes the sun in BURUNDI, Kenya Airways to LHR via CPT in J
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Would be about time!! They keep advertising that these are "just around the corner" for the last two years at least. Sounds like more substance this time around. Any word on other direct routes by US carriers?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:25 am

Wait for the DL codeshare
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vytas315
Would be about time!! They keep advertising that these are "just around the corner" for the last two years at least. Sounds like more substance this time around. Any word on other direct routes by US carriers?
Nairobi JKIA had to be upgraded to cat 1 status by the FAA first before KQ could get the DOT approval for flights to US.
You're right, back in the day, it should have been a DL route ATL-DKR-NBO instead of a KQ nonstop NBO-JFK

FYI, from Dar Es Salam, Entebbe, Addis and Jo'burg to JFK, one can get attractive return J fares starting from only €1500 - €1600. To get the best fares, use/search/book from the special link provided by KQ:
https://www.kenya-airways.com/flight-to-usa/
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The first flight is this Saturday. Reports say over 7000 tickets booked on this route already.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
The first flight is this Saturday. Reports say over 7000 tickets booked on this route already.
That's very encouraging, hope KQ will do perform on this new challenging route!
Are you sure they move ahead the inaugural date to September?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Are you sure they move ahead the inaugural date to September?
Oops! You are right. The report I saw said September 28th, but after googling around everywhere else it says October 28th.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Oops! You are right. The report I saw said September 28th, but after googling around everywhere else it says October 28th.
Looks like some media might be very impatient and excited to discover a new exotic tail at JFK
Let's hope they will try the new service on the due date and not before
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
The frequency of this flight is being cut back to as little as 4x per week in November. Goes back up to daily in December.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Smile CNN onboard KQ's inaugural

Originally Posted by ETStar
The frequency of this flight is being cut back to as little as 4x per week in November. Goes back up to daily in December.
Kenya Airways Nov 2018 New York frequency variations

Kenya Airways during the month of November 2018 is temporary reducing Nairobi – New York JFK route, a new route to be launched on 28OCT18. Service reduction is based on seasonal demand, where it’ll operate mostly 5-6 weekly with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, instead of 7 weekly.

05NOV18 – 11NOV18 Day x13 (Day x24 from JFK)
12NOV18 – 18NOV18 Day x12 (Day x23 from JFK)
19NOV18 – 26NOV18 Day x2 (Day x3 from JFK)
27NOV18 – 03DEC18 Day x124 (Day x235 from JFK)

KQ002 NBO2325 – 0625+1JFK 788
KQ003 JFK1200 – 1030+1NBO 788

On a side note, it's now confirmed that Richard Quest will be on KQ's NBO-JFK inaugural flight this coming Sunday night, this is gonna be exciting, check below link, he already arrived in Nairobi over a day ago guess he will have one or two interviews before departure, KQ needs to make good use to market it.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/busi...augural-flight
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
On a side note, it's now confirmed that Richard Quest will be on KQ's NBO-JFK inaugural flight this coming Sunday night, this is gonna be exciting, check below link, he already arrived in Nairobi over a day ago guess he will have one or two interviews before departure, KQ needs to make good use to market it.
Oooh. Exciting. I'll actually be at NBO at the same time Sunday night too. However on a different flight. I wonder if I'll see RQ wandering the duty free shops.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Wink

Oooh. Exciting. I'll actually be at NBO at the same time Sunday night too. However on a different flight. I wonder if I'll see RQ wandering the duty free shops.
Wow lucky you, hope you'll see a bit of the event and spot other celebrities too
You probably may have more chances to meet him at the Pride Lounge!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

The BIG Day for Kenya Airways or for whoever wanting this evening to meet or seek for Stimpy at NBO!
If you are flying to the US better be early to the JKIA airport NBO ( a minimum of 3 hours) as it now adds a 4th security check from the airport toll security checks. Don't forget Nairobi horrendous trafic jam!
Lots of spotting, lounge or last minute shopping options afterwards though.
Better safe than sorry...

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Oct 27, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well there's no traffic jam on the road to the airport today. In fact there are no cars at all. Mombassa road is closed for the big Marathon! But that will all end this afternoon and on Sunday evening there is no traffic anyways.

I've always been a contrarian about getting to NBO extra early on evening flights. Most everyone does that so there are huge queues 2-3 hours before the flight. I choose to arrive an hour or less before the flight and find no queues and quickly make my way through passport control and to the lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew out of T1C, a good bit away from T1A where the JFK flight is. So I didn't see all the hullabaloo. On the monitors it showed the JFK flight as closed about an hour before scheduled departure. I guess they really want pax to arrive extra early to go through the extra US security.

I arrived about an hour before my LH flight and still had time for a drink in the Aspire lounge that LH and LX use. Only a few people in line in front of me at passport control.

Last edited by stimpy; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.