Gulf Air & Star Alliance ??

Old Dec 2, 17, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Gulf Air & Star Alliance ??

Oh Wise FT sages,

Any speculation as to whether Gulf Air will be invited to join the Star Alliance ? I see a lot of code shares and joint cooperation flights between Gulf Air and Lufthansa/United flying out of Bahrain. Star Alliance is void any Flag carriers in the GCC.
Old Dec 2, 17, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
As far as I know, GF has never even been in the rumor mill for *A membership, codeshares mean nothing, there are thousands of examples of off-alliance or even inter-alliance codeshares in existence. As far as another Middle Eastern carrier joining (remember, for better or worse, we already have MS), assuming that EK and EY hold firm against joining any alliance, I'd much rather see *A flirt with WY than GF.
Old Dec 3, 17, 10:06 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
GF has code-shares with AA too.

WY would be a good fit for *A. Not very ambitious as far as network expansion like EK and EY so carriers like LH don't see it as a threat, filling voids for *A in the region.
Old Dec 3, 17, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise FT sages,

Any speculation as to whether Gulf Air will be invited to join the Star Alliance ? I see a lot of code shares and joint cooperation flights between Gulf Air and Lufthansa/United flying out of Bahrain. Star Alliance is void any Flag carriers in the GCC.
I don't see that happening.Gulf air doesn't need any alliance...GF would have to.improve itself totally to be considered for such an "invitation"i don't see them capable of that.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Star Alliance Invitation to GF IMMINENT

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I don't see that happening.Gulf air doesn't need any alliance...GF would have to.improve itself totally to be considered for such an "invitation"i don't see them capable of that.
Now that GF has announced their Business Plan, including working to become a "Boutique Airline", adding more 787s and 320 Neos, adding More *A Codeshares including TG, LH, UA, Agean, and TK, does anyone think the likelihood of them being invited into the Star Alliance is greater now than the last post in this thread ?

I think their *A invitation is imminent. Of course in Star Alliance terms, that just means in the next 5 years.
Old Feb 7, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
What business rationale would make GF valuable to Star ?

It's not really big or significant, nor does it operate routes that Star is really lacking in. Outside of the Middle East, GF only flies extensively to SubContinent, and a handful of destinations in Africa, Europe, and 1 in Asia (BKK). With the exception of Intra-GCC traffic, these markets are well covered by existing Star Alliance carriers
Old Feb 7, 19, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ET359

It's not really big or significant, nor does it operate routes that Star is really lacking in. Outside of the Middle East, GF only flies extensively to SubContinent, and a handful of destinations in Africa, Europe, and 1 in Asia (BKK). With the exception of Intra-GCC traffic, these markets are well covered by existing Star Alliance carriers
2019 is big year for GF....they've just announced new destination AGP albeit seasonal...and new aircraft deliveries this year. theve already hinted at new destinations.The new terminal at BAH will open, the newish CEO was previously at *A carrier.

We shall see what happens.

it will be interesting to see which new destinations GF announces as routes ex Gulf very well covered by the big 3 gulf carriers .
Old Feb 8, 19, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ET359

Agree that there's likely little value to Star but there is value to GF and perhaps Bahrain? May help them in their goal of being a bit more 'on the map' of the region and boost tourism (if they can get a little more through-traffic)?
Old Feb 10, 19, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by pafnyc
Agree that there's likely little value to Star but there is value to GF and perhaps Bahrain? May help them in their goal of being a bit more 'on the map' of the region and boost tourism (if they can get a little more through-traffic)?
GF have just announced seasonal service to AGP.
Also they have new aircraft deliveries scheduled for this year , coinciding with new terminal. I heard that they are negotiating to fly seperately to KUL and to JKT. This would tie in with Mecca pilgrimage traffic and possible codeshare (with MH?) to Australia.
IMO Bahrain is not too interested (despite the publicity to the contrary) in tourism or at least mass tourism,beyond what they "tolerate" now.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:18 pm

I wonder if the Etihad link means there's no longer any interest/possibility of joining an alliance?
Old Aug 18, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Or that it's irreverent since Etihad is fairly likely to join an alliance themselves. I don't see EY staying single for too much longer, either they'll merge with EK or join an alliance.
Old Mar 30, 22, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH, BA
Any news on that topic?
Old Mar 31, 22, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by flyasia
Any news on that topic?
None.
GFs aim right now seems to increase its network, especially as a connecting carrier..
BAH new airport certainly has been built with larger capacity.. So maybe we see something re alliance ..old or new happen when more of that infrastructure is there.
Ditto KUMaybe ditto SV with it's 2/3 hubs .
All the above 3 have plenty new planes too, and none are interested to make a profit.
Old Apr 16, 22, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
None.
GFs aim right now seems to increase its network, especially as a connecting carrier..
BAH new airport certainly has been built with larger capacity.. So maybe we see something re alliance ..old or new happen when more of that infrastructure is there.
Ditto KUMaybe ditto SV with it's 2/3 hubs .
All the above 3 have plenty new planes too, and none are interested to make a profit.
I'm guessing you are going to see direct flights to the US soon -- and then news of GF possibly joining an alliance. The new US FTZ is a step along the journey to i greater partnership between the kingdom and the USA...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.