Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Old May 26, 22, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
I have 2 layovers in ADD (18 hrs, 5:55AM till 11ish PM) and another on return 9:30hr one (mandatory, 5:55AM to 3PM). I could cut my first 18 hrs layover to 3hrs at no extra cost (there's inventory available as we speak) and reach JNB early (more time for safari). Or I can maintain current schedule and take a gamble with STPC voucher just like you detailed earlier. Major question is does it makes sense or is it worth to take that gamble and explore Addis (hopefully) for an extra 12ish hrs . Or is it just enough to make use of the 2nd mandatory layover to get a local flavour. ?
I'd take the ET809 earlier flight to JNB on the outbound because that is ALWAYS a premium widebody (A350 usually) while ET859 is known to be sometimes substituted with a 737 depending on booked loads. 6 hours overnight on the 737 in Business Class has not been my favourite experience. I've actually done the opposite (taken a forced overnight to fly on ET809 rather than ET859) in the past simply to ensure the better ride. If you want to explore Addis, I'd do that on the return. You can get a fair bit of sightseeing done in half a day with an early start and return to the hotel by 1pm.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old May 26, 22, 10:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
I'd take the ET809 earlier flight to JNB on the outbound because that is ALWAYS a premium widebody (A350 usually) while ET859 is known to be sometimes substituted with a 737 depending on booked loads. 6 hours overnight on the 737 in Business Class has not been my favourite experience. I've actually done the opposite (taken a forced overnight to fly on ET809 rather than ET859) in the past simply to ensure the better ride. If you want to explore Addis, I'd do that on the return. You can get a fair bit of sightseeing done in half a day with an early start and return to the hotel by 1pm.
Thanks, that seals the deal. swapped to ET809. Regarding fleet, I kinda ignored optimizing as entire ET fleet is kinda lacklustre. I am now hoping that there's a tail change and A359 end up with a 1-2-1 configuration.

Which wifi provider does ET use? Wonder if I can get access via Boingo !

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; May 26, 22 at 10:35 pm
Old May 27, 22, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
Which wifi provider does ET use? Wonder if I can get access via Boingo !
No. You have to buy a pass - best deal is $25 for the full flight pass ($5/1hr, $9/2hr packs also available).
cheltzel and jugaadkabaap like this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 7:14 am

Programs: Sheba Miles
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
There are the official regulations which are spouted back to you by the social media teams and there is the reality on the ground.

If you have any connection >7h59m and <= 23h59m and are on ET metal both inbound and outbound, regardless of earlier flights being available, regardless of ticket stock, regardless of award or revenue, you will receive the STPC voucher. For Business Class, this will almost always be at Skylight (unless it is full then you may wind up in Radisson Blu or Ramada).

Once you are in the layover hotel, you can exit into town with a gate pass. Only Skylight seems to enforce this however - the other hotels couldn't care less. To get the gate pass you need to either show a PCR test <72 hours old, a rapid test <24 hours old or a vaccine certificate (2 shots, no booster needed). Addis is not particularly big on COVID protocols nowadays anyway. People are more likely to be wearing masks because of the pollution in town.

As for recent experiences, my most recent data point was from a relative approximately 2 hours ago, so unless something has changed since then....
I've got an overnight layover in Addis (first time, though flown on ET multiple times over the years) on my way to LHR from LUN, as its the only flight on that day. Would anyone happen to know which hotel they put up Economy passengers?
Old Jun 8, 22, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BAM_INZM View Post
I've got an overnight layover in Addis (first time, though flown on ET multiple times over the years) on my way to LHR from LUN, as its the only flight on that day. Would anyone happen to know which hotel they put up Economy passengers?
There are over two dozen hotels that Ethiopian uses for Economy passengers, so it really is a crap shoot as to which one you are assigned. The daily blocks are only allocated every morning so it varies from day to day depending on occupancy. The hotel quality ranges from extremely nice to extremely dire.

Personally, I wait to see which hotel I am assigned (you can check this in the "Feel Addis" tab of the mobile app after completing OLCI) and if it something I do not like, I book my own hotel somewhere near Bole. The Best Western Pearl and the Ramada are usually available for between $60-100 and both are excellent for a quick overnight stay. I then use the Ethiopian voucher for the transit visa, but pick up the other hotel shuttle in the parking lot. Never been an issue.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 1:23 am

Programs: Sheba Miles
Thank you so much for the info! I think I will do that then, and check on the app on the day off.
Another quick one, as it seems you have great experience transiting addis, on how long does it normally take to get out of the airport clearing all procedures there for such transits, considering I'm arriving on one of their evening bank flights?
Old Jun 18, 22, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BAM_INZM View Post
Another quick one, as it seems you have great experience transiting addis, on how long does it normally take to get out of the airport clearing all procedures there for such transits, considering I'm arriving on one of their evening bank flights?
If you have all your paperwork already in order (viz. onward boarding pass, transit voucher, etc..) you can be out of the building within 15 minutes of touchdown. Very rarely does it take longer than 30-40 minutes.
Old Aug 8, 22, 9:53 am

Feel Addis feature on app

I know I can't apply until check-in, but my EA app doesn't show anything about the "Feel Addis" program at all. Does the tab for this appear only after check-in? I'm flying ORD-ADD and then ADD-BKK, both on EA business with a 15+ hour layover in between. Sounds like I should qualify for the vouchers, visa, etc., but just want to make sure I'm doing everything I need to qualify. Fully vaccinated and double boosted (will probably be triple boosted by Jan., when I fly!). Thanks for any input!
Old Aug 8, 22, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by thefins View Post
I know I can't apply until check-in, but my EA app doesn't show anything about the "Feel Addis" program at all. Does the tab for this appear only after check-in?
In the Android app you can find it in the main menu (top left) under Check-in tab -> Feel Addis. See below.

Old Aug 9, 22, 9:35 am

Still looking

Thanks! I found that tab, and went to the page for Feel Addis. There's a box at the bottom that says to enter flight info to see if you qualify. The box doesn't do anything and there's nowhere else to enter the information. Again, does this only work after check-in? Thanks again!
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by thefins View Post
Again, does this only work after check-in? Thanks again!
Yes, only after you complete OLCI.
Old Aug 10, 22, 5:29 pm

Thanks!

Search this Thread