Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Old Jul 18, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I am looking at business class flights LAX-ADD-BOM where the transit times are either 10 hours or 18 hours. Will I be eligible for the transit hotel program if I take the later flight? Both connections are between 8 and 24 hours but the web site seems to indicate you have to take the earliest available connection. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:38 am
Original Poster

So I can report back that our Ethiopian Air layover included a stay at the Hilton Addis Ababa, meal credit, r/t airport transfers and they also took care of the transit visas. We brought it up at check in and went to the desk upon arrival.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
So luckily, I arrived with just about an hour for the connection. We were bussed from the remote stand and made our way upstairs. I joined the long queue to gates 8-9. Spent about 45 minutes inching forward.

The ET reps in both the light blue suit as well as the dark greens just walked up and down looking at their papers. I was the guy shouting "Johannesburg?" to them before they finally whisked a couple of us upfront.

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this unless you are over an hour late departing from Chicago. ET809 is one of the flights with huge numbers of tight connections, so they will always have multiple buses on hand to transfer passengers directly between aircraft if needed. Look for the guy shouting "Johannesburg? Cape Town? Accra? etc.." as you disembark and follow him to the next plane - most likely bypassing the terminal entirely.
Old Jul 26, 18, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket View Post
I joined the long queue to gates 8-9. Spent about 45 minutes inching forward.
Ugh, that was your mistake. You should have used the "GOLD TRACK" fast track lane for Cloud Nine / Star Gold passengers. Never longer than a few minutes there.
b_magee and TTC192Rocket like this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Ugh... I'm sure you recommended it to myself or others up-thread. I wandered halfway up and told myself I better just start lining up before it gets even worse. I didn't want to DYKWIA to the reps. I must have also missed the Cloud Nine/Star Gold signage. I didn't see any overhanging signs, so I definitely missed any signage mounted on a regular post.

Ugh, that was your mistake. You should have used the "GOLD TRACK" fast track lane for Cloud Nine / Star Gold passengers. Never longer than a few minutes there.
Old Jul 27, 18, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I am looking at business class flights LAX-ADD-BOM where the transit times are either 10 hours or 18 hours. Will I be eligible for the transit hotel program if I take the later flight? Both connections are between 8 and 24 hours but the web site seems to indicate you have to take the earliest available connection. Thanks.
Bump.
Old Jul 27, 18, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Bump.
Yes.
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:53 pm

Just a data point here - when we checked in yesterday (BLZ-ADD-GRU in Cloud Nine) we were given vouchers for the "Debre Damo Hotel" (rated 110 of 125 hotels in Addis Ababa by TripAdvisor) rather than the expected Hilton. This was not acceptable so I sought out the duty manager and she very happily printed a new voucher for the Hilton instead and delivered it to us as we were boarding.

Moral of the story is that (especially as *G in Cloud Nine) you don't need to accept whatever fleabag (literally in this case) they put you in and agitating a little can deliver results. That said, you're unlikely to get into the Hilton flying in Economy although the Radisson Blu is supposed to be "priority" for *G in Economy subject to space available in the block (I've gotten lucky ex-BOM a couple of times).
Old Nov 23, 18, 7:52 am

May be slightly OT... but I was wondering about vaccination issues.

I have a 18-hour transit in Addis Ababa with ET - currently planning to spend the day in the city especially when there is free hotel provided! However, I was surfing online and realised that I need yellow fever vaccination if I am having a >12h transit at airport. May I know if this also applies if I plan to enter the city during my layover, and do I need to show any proof? I may have to cancel my ticket otherwise since I may not have enough time for the vaccine.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by AviationAddict View Post
I have a 18-hour transit in Addis Ababa with ET - currently planning to spend the day in the city especially when there is free hotel provided! However, I was surfing online and realised that I need yellow fever vaccination if I am having a >12h transit at airport. May I know if this also applies if I plan to enter the city during my layover, and do I need to show any proof? I may have to cancel my ticket otherwise since I may not have enough time for the vaccine.
Ethiopia doesn't care and doesn't check for Yellow Fever vaccination paperwork. Their Port Health people are screening inbound passengers for Ebola and that is their main (only) focus right now.

Your next destination might check however, depending where you are headed to. Keep in mind that your passport is not usually stamped if on an Ethiopian Airlines transit STPC voucher, so there is often not any proof you entered Ethiopia at all.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:24 am

Ethiopia doesn't care and doesn't check for Yellow Fever vaccination paperwork. Their Port Health people are screening inbound passengers for Ebola and that is their main (only) focus right now.

Your next destination might check however, depending where you are headed to. Keep in mind that your passport is not usually stamped if on an Ethiopian Airlines transit STPC voucher, so there is often not any proof you entered Ethiopia at all.
Thanks a lot B747-437B. Also I would like to know since I am just staying in Ethiopia for around 18 hours, may I know if it is generally safe in terms of not being affected with ebola/yellow fever/etc. if I just stay in the city centre?
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:52 am

Thanks a lot B747-437B. Also I would like to know since I am just staying in Ethiopia for around 18 hours, may I know if it is generally safe in terms of not being affected with ebola/yellow fever/etc. if I just stay in the city centre?
I'd say you are 100% safe from contracting ebola, regardless where you travel in Ethiopia.

As for yellow fever, you will also be fine in the city.
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:13 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK Gold

I am a regular traveler to ADD. While I haven't been asked to present my vaccination card the past months, earlier this year they did ask both my wife and I to prove that we had a yellow fever vaccination. Last year this also happened once or twice to me. But I also think it depends where you arrive from? Recently I only got the usual "Have you been to DRC within the past 3 weeks?" question, then they let you go.
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Goaguy View Post
I am a regular traveler to ADD. While I haven't been asked to present my vaccination card the past months, earlier this year they did ask both my wife and I to prove that we had a yellow fever vaccination. Last year this also happened once or twice to me. But I also think it depends where you arrive from? Recently I only got the usual "Have you been to DRC within the past 3 weeks?" question, then they let you go.
Hmm I'm travelling from Europe to Asia via Ethiopia.. Now makes me worry if I should cancel my award ticket and book another one given that I still haven't had the vaccine..
Old Nov 27, 18, 8:25 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK Gold
Hmm I'm travelling from Europe to Asia via Ethiopia.. Now makes me worry if I should cancel my award ticket and book another one given that I still haven't had the vaccine..
- You are planning a stop-over in Addis? If not, this will not affect you, even if enforced.
- I have been entering through ADD four times the past month alone, didnt get asked about the vaccine. Last time was beginning of the year. Now they seem to only care if you have been to DRC.
- I have a feeling, that even if you dont have the card, they will still let you go, since you arrive from a EU which isnt prone to yellow fever. (Unless you are on a 3rd world country passport?)
- Strangely, the one time I got harassed the most, I was with my wife, she is Ethiopian. Unfortunately, Africans often discriminate against their own kind, in this case same nationality. Chances are, if you are on an EU passport (and dont look African) you will walk right through.
B747-437B likes this.

Search this Thread