Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
INFO AND FAQ ABOUT ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES' STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) PROGRAM

If you have a connection between two Ethiopian Airlines international flights at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD) scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length on a single ticket, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) package.

Eligible passengers should get a voucher for hotel, visa, meals and transport when you check-in for your first Ethiopian Airlines flight. On arrival in Addis Ababa, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. As soon as you exit the customs area, there is an Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a handful of seats (and free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

FAQ

Qsn : How long does my layover need to be to take advantage of this program?
Ans : Your layover needs to be between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length. A layover of 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

Qsn : My layover is during the daytime and not overnight. Am I still eligible?
Ans : YES. As long as your layover is between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible.

Qsn : Which hotel will I be assigned to?
Ans : In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel located in Bole. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

https://www.ethiopianskylighthotel.com

Qsn. Do I need to book in advance?
Ans : No, you just show up at check-in for your first flight and you will receive the voucher.

Qsn : I did not receive my voucher at check-in. What should I do?
Ans : If you did not receive your voucher at check-in, you will most likely receive it at the boarding gate. If you still do not receive it for some reason, you can collect it at the "Transfer and Layover Office" in Addis Ababa which is located on the left (west) side of the transit security area.

Qsn. Do I get to choose my hotel?
Ans : No, your hotel will be assigned to you. In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

Qsn. Do I need to buy my own food?
Ans : No, your voucher includes complimentary meals at the hotel appropriate to the time of day.

Qsn. How do I get to the hotel?
Ans : Your voucher includes complimentary transfers from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. The Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs will direct you to the appropriate pickup point for the shuttle bus.

Qsn. Can I skip the shuttle bus and take a taxi instead?
Ans : Sure, but you need to get your voucher stamped by the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs. The hotel requires a stamped voucher in order to allow your check-in.

Qsn. I prefer to stay at the Hyatt Regency Addis Ababa - will Ethiopian Airlines reimburse my expenses there?
Ans : NO. You have to use the complimentary hotel provided by Ethiopian Airlines. They will not refund any expenses incurred elsewhere.

Qsn. I read and hear a lot of negative things about the security situation in Ethiopia. Is it safe to leave the airport?
Ans : Each person has their own risk appetite and needs to conduct their own security assessment. However, hundreds if not thousands of visitors in transit enter Ethiopia every day and do not fall victim to insecurity issues in the provided hotels. The wider city of Addis Ababa has the same security and crime issues that plague any big city, and tourists will stand out as prospective targets for pickpockets, etc..

Qsn. Can I request the In-Terminal hotel instead of a hotel in town?
Ans : The In-Terminal Hotel in Addis Ababa is also operated by Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. Anecdotally, if you receive a voucher for "SKYLIGHT", you may be able to choose to use it at either the airside in-terminal hotel, or the landside hotel which is around 300m from Terminal 1 and 1km from Terminal 2. Officially however, you should be using the landside hotel (which is a 5-star property and much nicer).

Qsn. Can I use the transit visa only and then go to my own hotel or take a city tour?
Ans : In practice, this is possible. Once you exit customs, simply exit the building rather than going to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk for the shuttle bus to the provided hotel.

Qsn. Do they have free Wifi?
Ans : Yes, all hotels that Ethiopian Airlines uses for this program provide free Wifi. However, speeds may vary significantly and there are often Government imposed blocks of certain websites, apps and functionalities. You can purchase a local SIM card at the Safaricom or EthioTel desks located right next to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk after customs. The SIM card costs 30 Birr (approx. $0.50) and you can purchase a data package of your choosing depending on your requirements.

Qsn : Can I leave the hotel and go sightseeing during my layover?
Ans : There should be nothing that stops you from doing this. However, if you are a military age male fitting a specific ethnic profile, you may experience some pushback from hotel security (UPDATED 2023). There have been situations where transit passengers who might not otherwise qualify for a visa have left hotels and joined up as mercenary soldiers with anti-government forces, so they want to ensure that doesn't happen. Some hotels may require you to leave your passport with them as a "deposit".

Qsn : I have a firearm in my checked luggage. Can I access it during my transit stop in Addis Ababa?
Ans : NO. Local regulations do not permit you to access your firearms while in transit in Addis Ababa. Hotels will conduct X-ray screening of all luggage and require guests to pass through metal detector screening to ensure no weapons are carried.

Qsn. Does my passport get stamped?
Ans : NO, in most cases, your passport will not be stamped. However, your photograph and/or fingerprints will be collected at immigration. In some cases however, your passport may be stamped.

Qsn. I am in transit to South Africa and I am concerned that using this program will trigger a requirement for Yellow Fever vaccination. What should I do?
Ans : If you enter Ethiopia, even in transit, you may be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in South Africa.

Qsn. How long does it take to deal with all the formalities?
Ans : If you have all your paperwork already in order (viz. onward boarding pass and transit voucher) you can be out of the building within 15 minutes of touchdown. Very rarely does it take longer than 30 minutes.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans. YES. If you are on a paid ticket and there is a shorter connection available, your fare already includes a surcharge of $70 to cover this program. If you are on an award ticket, no surcharge is applicable and you will receive the vouchers anyway.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Customer service says I am not eligible, but this FAQ says I am. Who is right?
Ans : This FAQ is based on hundreds of passenger experiences over the course of multiple years. There is no single data point where a passenger has been denied this program due to a "shorter connection" being available. There is an official policy, and then there is the reality on the ground.

Qsn : I am on an award ticket. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible.

Qsn : I am on a partner issued ticket (revenue or award). Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible. Both revenue and award tickets issued by partners are eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Turkish Airlines and departing on Ethiopian. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Ethiopian Airlines and departing on Egyptair. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am traveling on separate tickets but both flights are on Ethiopian Airlines. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on a domestic Ethiopian Airlines flight and departing the next morning on an international flight. Am I eligible?
Ans : This program specifically applies only to international flights. If either your arrival or departure flights is domestic, you need to check the specific fare rules for details about eligibility.

Qsn : I am not eligible for the complimentary package as I am on separate tickets. Can I pay extra and purchase this anyway?
Ans : YES. You can usually purchase this package for between $70-135 depending on hotel availability from the "Transfer and Layover Office" at Addis Ababa

Qsn : My country is not eligible for visa-on-arrival in Ethiopia. Am I eligible?
Ans : YES. Citizens of all countries traveling on national passports are eligible for this program. Ethiopian Airlines arranges your transit visas, which is a separate program from the Tourist Visa On Arrival program.

Qsn : I am an Ethiopian citizen traveling on a refugee travel document issued by a foreign country. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Your refugee travel document will, in most cases, not be eligible for entry into Ethiopia in such a situation. Please confirm with your local Ethiopian Embassy.

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Old Jun 14, 2024, 1:13 pm

Bringing back the Yellow Fever vaccination question. If I have a stopover at ADD of 17 hours and do use this program - in principle the next country might require a YF certificate? Anyone with more or less recent experience flying ADD-ICN - do they check?
(To be clear, I do not have a YF vaccine and don't plan to get one just for a stopover).
Old Jun 14, 2024, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Bringing back the Yellow Fever vaccination question. If I have a stopover at ADD of 17 hours and do use this program - in principle the next country might require a YF certificate?
Yes.
Acerola and tr3k like this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Yes.
That's what I suspected. So, that means that essentially everyone that takes the stopover option has to have the vaccine, then?
Old Jun 14, 2024, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
That's what I suspected. So, that means that essentially everyone that takes the stopover option has to have the vaccine, then?
Or be over something like 60 or 65 and have a letter from a doctor indicating that you have a medical risk exemption. See the link below.

https://nathnacyfzone.org.uk/factshe...r-of-exemption
Old Jun 15, 2024, 3:45 am

That depends where you are going to.

Old Jun 15, 2024, 4:06 pm

That depends where you are going to.
South Korea in this case.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 9:06 pm

Have a 14 hour daytime layover in ADD, connecting from BKK to IST flying with ET on the inbound and TK on the outbound, both in J. I'm aware I don't have access to the stopover program due to the flights involving two different airlines but I do wish to head in to the city during the layover. Is there any luggage storage at or around ADD airport where I can leave my backpack?
Old Jul 7, 2024, 3:30 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
are you aware you will need to buy a visa on arrival about $80 these days I think - there is no transit visa
Old Jul 7, 2024, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by shayaanl
Have a 14 hour daytime layover in ADD, connecting from BKK to IST flying with ET on the inbound and TK on the outbound, both in J. I'm aware I don't have access to the stopover program due to the flights involving two different airlines but I do wish to head in to the city during the layover. Is there any luggage storage at or around ADD airport where I can leave my backpack?
You can try to purchase the stopover package for $70 (higher if in Business Class) subject to availability. It is cheaper than the visa on its own, plus comes with a hotel room where you can shower, etc.. after your city exploration.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Bringing back the Yellow Fever vaccination question. If I have a stopover at ADD of 17 hours and do use this program - in principle the next country might require a YF certificate? Anyone with more or less recent experience flying ADD-ICN - do they check?
(To be clear, I do not have a YF vaccine and don't plan to get one just for a stopover).
In 2022, I flew IAD-ADD-BKK all on Ethiopian. I didn't do the stopover, just stayed in the international terminal. The BKK immigration officer immediately said I had to be processed by the Bangkok Health Office to certify my YF certificate. I had to fill out a form and show them my YF cert. Took about 20 min in all, and you need a device to access the website. I tried to explain to the immigration officer that I didn't even leave the terminal for this connection but he didn't care.

In 2023, I flew IAD-ADD-DEL all on Ethiopian and used the Skylight hotel (off the airport) in both directions. At DEL, nobody cared or asked about YF.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
If I take a UA positioning flight to my ET departure city and UA checks my luggage through to my destination, I will typically stay air-side and just do the checking in at the departure gate for the ET flight and get issued my ET boarding pass, have my passport checked, etc.

Can I reasonably expect to get my voucher at the gate or would it be better to go land-side and check back in land-side?
Old Jul 8, 2024, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
are you aware you will need to buy a visa on arrival about $80 these days I think - there is no transit visa
I'm aware of that. Thanks.

You can try to purchase the stopover package for $70 (higher if in Business Class) subject to availability. It is cheaper than the visa on its own, plus comes with a hotel room where you can shower, etc.. after your city exploration.
Neat! Didn't realize that's a possibility. Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Can I reasonably expect to get my voucher at the gate or would it be better to go land-side and check back in land-side?
Yes, you can expect the voucher at the boarding gate. If not, you can collect it at the office in Addis.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
In 2022, I flew IAD-ADD-BKK all on Ethiopian. I didn't do the stopover, just stayed in the international terminal. The BKK immigration officer immediately said I had to be processed by the Bangkok Health Office to certify my YF certificate. I had to fill out a form and show them my YF cert. Took about 20 min in all, and you need a device to access the website. I tried to explain to the immigration officer that I didn't even leave the terminal for this connection but he didn't care.

In 2023, I flew IAD-ADD-DEL all on Ethiopian and used the Skylight hotel (off the airport) in both directions. At DEL, nobody cared or asked about YF.
Obviously different countries will vary . As far as the Thais are concerned they automatically direct anyone arriving on Ethiopian to the Bangkok Health Office regardless of how long they stopped However I do not know how they treat those who stopped less than the 12 hours as for me it was not an issue as I had stopped 17 hours
Old Jul 18, 2024, 7:20 am

From my discussions with ET UK team, Gatwick has been a challenge for them because of the high volume of passengers on that flight who qualify for the STPC vouchers. They are not always able to process all the vouchers in advance due to the volume, and also they tend to wind up sending passengers to a wide range of hotels around town since the daily block at Skylight is often filled up already.

You always have the option of buying a-la-carte food at Skylight (room service or one of the other restaurants) which are usually excellent quality. The buffets have now become hit-or-miss slop other than the pastries.
They had it downpat today, a big stack of forms on the counter - so was handed one over. A nice change! Only 4 pax in J this time (an increase of one from my last ex-LGW flight).
B747-437B likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.