Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obscure African airlines - worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Where's the fun if you don't feel a little heat under the collar from the risk .
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Air Peace seems to fly from Lagos to Antigua a few times a year. Would be a fun route to fly.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ritesa
Air Peace seems to fly from Lagos to Antigua a few times a year. Would be a fun route to fly.
I flew on Air Peace in September last year (very short flight BJL-DSS, which is part of a triangular route to/from Lagos) and it was somewhat interesting that my seat (that I checked into) was already taken and I (and others who boarded in BJL) was told to just take any empty seat.
Also, because it's such a short flight, I wouldn't expect any service/refreshments (and there weren't any during the flight), but we were given a box with food/drinks by FA on our way out of the aircraft.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:50 am

This is basically a human trafficking flight. More than half the folks that fly to Antigua no show for the return leg and later on wind up at the US southern border.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
How do you know?

And how do they get to the US border from Antigua?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:42 am

How do you know? And how do they get to the US border from Antigua?
Lets just say that I have unfortunately had experience with getting tied up with these West Africa to Carribean charters in the past and continue to assist various authorities with combating them in my day job.

I'm not going to share modus operandi on a public forum for obvious reasons.
Swanhunter and ritesa like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 2:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
How do you know?
Its no secret that many people are trying to reach the US and Canada through central and south america

As mexico is getting thougher on the illegal immigration issue , migrants have to start their journey in america from the south , then crossing through panama to head north

Because many countries in the region have less/easier requirements for tourists from asia or africa , many arrive by air and/or sea often legally then disappear , or if caught they dont wish to return to their home countries and ask for asylum where they got caught or in the US

While i wish to see more flights between africa and the carribean , cause there is demand , the issue is that its not high enough for airlines to make a profit out of it

And how do they get to the US border from Antigua?
By sea or air to the mainland then cross mexico and try their chance
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew Mauritanian Airlines from CKY to DSS. It was...pretty crap. A fairly tired old E-190, some rather unruly passengers with a full on screaming match about women sitting next to unrelated males that required security to get involved. It was predictably late too. One to avoid unless you have no other choice.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have to say I quite like TAAG these days. The Emirates management team who were there circa 2016 to 2018 really turned it around. They improved safety and the passenger in-flight experience with new catering, a smilier service etc. TAAG has recently gone a bit LCC. The catering was pretty poor on my last couple of flights and delays and equipment changes seem a lot more frequent. Mind you I was still well looked after when my flight was recently cancelled and put in the Tropico with full board for three nights (that used to be Luanda's best hotel until not long ago and I ate lobster, bacalhau etc there on TAAG's dime). Much better customer recovery than a European airline would offer. TAAG has recently been run by an ex LCC guy who turned its first ever profit in decades so perhaps the cost cutting was worthwhile. Anyway it is way better now than it was a decade ago.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by cargueiro
I have to say I quite like TAAG these days. The Emirates management team who were there circa 2016 to 2018 really turned it around. They improved safety and the passenger in-flight experience with new catering, a smilier service etc. TAAG has recently gone a bit LCC. The catering was pretty poor on my last couple of flights and delays and equipment changes seem a lot more frequent. Mind you I was still well looked after when my flight was recently cancelled and put in the Tropico with full board for three nights (that used to be Luanda's best hotel until not long ago and I ate lobster, bacalhau etc there on TAAG's dime). Much better customer recovery than a European airline would offer. TAAG has recently been run by an ex LCC guy who turned its first ever profit in decades so perhaps the cost cutting was worthwhile. Anyway it is way better now than it was a decade ago.
Great to hear! Did you have a visa for Angola to be able to stay in Tropico, or did they take care of that?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
Great to hear! Did you have a visa for Angola to be able to stay in Tropico, or did they take care of that?
After law passed last year , citizens from mostly wealthy nations can now visit angola visa free , so cargueiro most likely was under this law
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I think TAAG would have assisted if I would have had visa issues. I didn't need visa on most recent trip although I had purchased one for that trip, then they changed the law and I didn't need it in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.