Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Airlines Domestic Discount

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Ethiopian Airlines Domestic Discount

A friend and I are going to be traveling from Dar es Salaam to Ethiopia, spending 16 days in Ethiopia, and then leaving back to the USA on Qatar Air.

Ethiopian Air offers discounts on domestic ticket prices for people that fly in internationally on Ethiopian. The discount is significant given the number of internal flights we will take--will probably be worth $420/person when all is said and done.

I'm trying to figure out whether to use Aeroplan miles to book a Star Alliance award ticket on Ethiopian metal or whether to actually buy a ticket from Ethiopian Air with $s. Using miles is a better deal, but I'm not sure whether I'll actually be able to get the domestic discount this way. The ticket number, I think, will be an Air Canada/Aeroplan ticket number, and it seems like one needs an Ethiopian ticket number to get the discount. On the other hand, a local tour operator I contacted said they would "manage" to get me the discounted domestic rate.

Not exactly sure who to believe and am wondering if anybody else has any experience with this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
Here's a somewhat anecdotal comment / semi answer from me:

When I was last in ADD (late March this year) I went to the ET ticketing office at the airport to buy a discounted domestic ticket for myself and a friend.

I, with an international flight into / out of Ethiopia on ET, was able to get the discount just by giving them my international flight ticket number, issued on ET stock.

My friend, however, who flew into / out of Ethiopia on ET metal but booked through UA.com and issued on UA stock, was not able to get the discount.

I would therefore assume that anything not on ET stock would not be eligible for the discount.

You could also call ET's Addis office (+251 116656666) and ask. I've successfully booked discounted domestic flights over the phone with them many times before, so they should know the rules.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:09 am

When I inquired with the ET Airl ticket office about this about two years ago, I was told that I could NOT get the domestic discount if I flew into ADD on an award ticket on Ethiopian. I was told it had to be a paid ticket. I was trying to use my United miles on the ticket. That's slightly different than your situation, and it's definitely worth calling them, but they were clear about it in my situation.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Miles+, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by W126Pilot
Here's a somewhat anecdotal comment / semi answer from me:

When I was last in ADD (late March this year) I went to the ET ticketing office at the airport to buy a discounted domestic ticket for myself and a friend.

I, with an international flight into / out of Ethiopia on ET, was able to get the discount just by giving them my international flight ticket number, issued on ET stock.

My friend, however, who flew into / out of Ethiopia on ET metal but booked through UA.com and issued on UA stock, was not able to get the discount.

I would therefore assume that anything not on ET stock would not be eligible for the discount.

You could also call ET's Addis office (+251 116656666) and ask. I've successfully booked discounted domestic flights over the phone with them many times before, so they should know the rules.

Can I call their US office to book domestic ticket and get discount? However, I have used LH miles to book ET airlines international ticket in and out of ADD
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by HansDKNY
Can I call their US office to book domestic ticket and get discount? However, I have used LH miles to book ET airlines international ticket in and out of ADD
I would call their number in Ethiopia, as in my experience I've only gotten the discount when purchasing in country.

The discount is only available if your international flight into / out of Ethiopia is on Ethiopian Airlines, on ET stock. I do not believe that you are eligible on award tickets issued using miles coming from programmes other than Sheba Miles, but the Addis ticketing office would be able to answer this for you.

Good luck!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
ET's website now prompts you to select for "Special Discounted Fare" eligibility and applies discounts accordingly. The conditions are as follows:

Special Discounted Fare
Discounted fare is available if you are a holder of one of the below documents as proof of residence in Ethiopia or flying your international sector by Ethiopian Airlines.

ETHIOPIAN PASSPORT
ETHIOPIAN RENEWED KEBELE ID
ETHIOPIAN RESIDENT PERMIT
ETHIOPIAN YELLOW ID
ETHIOPIAN TICKET FOR INTERNATIONAL SECTOR
Yes, I hold one of the documentsNo, I hold none of the documents
It is mandatory that same ID card or proof of traveling international sector by Ethiopian should be presented at check-in to the airline on demand.
Failure to present the required document may result in removal of passenger from the flight list of that particular flight and refund of ticket after penalty deductions.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Where does the Special Discounted Fare option show up on the ET website? I'm not seeing it anywhere when looking for flights.

*I called the ET office in the US, and was able to book flights with the discount even though we're flying in on ET metal, using UA points.

Last edited by TandroyFoty; Feb 5, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:16 am

Please confirm that you were able to get a discount on ET domestic flights using partner points.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:58 am

Is it possible to receive the domestic discount for a return ticket on Ethiopia Airlines?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pierce Anders
Is it possible to receive the domestic discount for a return ticket on Ethiopia Airlines?
Yes. If you look to book on their app or website, you will be prompted to acknowledge and receive the discounted offers, provided that you can prove that you flew into ADD on Ethiopian Airlines. An offer code will automatically be applied, and you can be expected to provide proof upon checkin.

I just tried it for ADD-GDQ and it's ETB1650 vs ETB5500 one way with vs without discount! This is big.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:59 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, but I will be flying OUT with Ethiopian airlines. Will a return ticket Leaving Ethiopian with Ethiopian airlines qualify for the domestic discount. Also, when you check in do you use the app? or do you need to go to the counter.

-Sean
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:35 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, but I will be flying OUT with Ethiopian airlines. Will a return ticket Leaving Ethiopian with Ethiopian airlines qualify for the domestic discount. Also, when you check in do you use the app? or do you need to go to the counter.

-Sean
The condition states “Ethiopian ticket for international sector”. It’s not specific so I think you should be fine.

For checkin I use the app. Sometimes, like with other airlines, this is not possible for either technical reasons or document check requirements for example.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:46 pm

Is check in done on the app? if so how do they verify you have an international ticket?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:53 pm

Is check in done on the app? if so how do they verify you have an international ticket?
They may put a documentation check on your reservation that may still require you to see someone to validate despite checking in on app.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:16 am

ET Flight from Entebbe - discount domestic

Originally Posted by ETStar
They may put a documentation check on your reservation that may still require you to see someone to validate despite checking in on app.
Does a return ticket from Entebbe / Uganda to Addis with Ethiopian qualify for discounts on domestic flights?
I am not sure if Uganda is international sector in their definition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.