FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Transfer in Jeddah or Riyadh with SV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1848935-transfer-jeddah-riyadh-sv.html)

cmoltisanti Jun 19, 2017 1:48 am

Transfer in Jeddah or Riyadh with SV

If you could choose to have an transit in Jeddah or Riyadh which one would you choose? I'm traveling in J next month so I'm also able to use the saudia lounge, anyone have experience which lounge and airport is better and easier to have a transfer?

nullchain Jun 20, 2017 3:34 pm

I would recommend researching whether the "new" airport terminal at JED is open or not - if it is, I would choose that (and report back with pics!). The "old" JED terminal and Saudia lounge are tired, crowded, and lacked privacy, although the food served was excellent.

I've only heard through relatives that Riyadh has a much better lounge, but I don't have first hand experience.

EDIT: Transfer at JED was painless except for the tired layout. The "old" airport involved for me tarmac parking and bussing to and from the terminal.

Bubus78 Jun 21, 2017 5:35 am

How 'smooth' cam be a transit in KSA? For transit visa which airport would be the most hassle free regarding obtain the transit visa for 24hrs?

Thank you!

Braniff Jun 21, 2017 2:44 pm

I have personally been to neither but colleagues who go regularly to Riyadh describe the airport in such terms that you would not want to go thru there.

KL803 Jul 2, 2017 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by nullchain (Post 28467093)
I would recommend researching whether the "new" airport terminal at JED is open or not - if it is, I would choose that (and report back with pics!). The "old" JED terminal and Saudia lounge are tired, crowded, and lacked privacy, although the food served was excellent.

I've only heard through relatives that Riyadh has a much better lounge, but I don't have first hand experience.

EDIT: Transfer at JED was painless except for the tired layout. The "old" airport involved for me tarmac parking and bussing to and from the terminal.

Completely agree with nullchain. The RUH lounge is much better than the on in JED. The food in both lounges is pretty good. Transit in RUH is less pain than in JED, you only walk to a transfer desk, show your passport and boarding pass then walk through basic security. Skypriority is strictly enforced which is a great plus. You should be from aircraft to lounge in no time.

JED is similar but they will give you transfer cards for immigration which you should fill out before departing again ;). The lounge is indeed crowded and noisy, also plugs to charge your electronics are lacking.

In both lounges there's acceptable WiFi connection, there are also Apple workstations if you need one. There are boarding calls in all lounges, which after a while are quite nerve racking :D. In the RUH lounge there are three slumber cabins where you can lay down if you have a longer layover. If you want to sleep there, bring ear plugs or noise cancelling headsets as the boarding calls are quite loud.

Again, if you travel later this year, the new JED terminal might be operational which would indeed be a much better experience.

Lukinap Jul 10, 2017 8:31 am

RUH

RUH - I live in Riyadh and I would definitely recommend Riyadh

Bax777 Nov 2, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello,
I'm traveling on Saudia J class LAX to KUL via Jeddah. I read about the prohibited goods for Saudi but wondered if its safe to bring my sleeping pills - I have the paperwork from the doctors office but nonetheless it is likely a prohibited (controlled) medicine. I assume I will stay airside and wont go through customs - but still, do they go through your hand luggage etc looking for prohibited medicines etc?
Would appreciate if anyone can anyone explain the transit process and associated security checks?
thanks.

MixalisK. Nov 2, 2018 2:48 pm

Last time i transferred there was a check point with two guards dressed in civilian clothes operating a scanning machine for luggages. I wasnt asked for any personal inspection, i did have a few medicines in my bag. The security in jeddah seemed like a joke to me. Its like "we put the bombs, so no reason to worry about it".
If you fly next year u may use the new airport which i dont know about it.

Bax777 Nov 3, 2018 11:11 pm

Helpful, thanks.

montreuxgarcon Nov 3, 2018 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by cmoltisanti (Post 28459753)
If you could choose to have an transit in Jeddah or Riyadh which one would you choose? I'm traveling in J next month so I'm also able to use the saudia lounge, anyone have experience which lounge and airport is better and easier to have a transfer?

I will suggest Riyadh , and the airport is bigger than Jeddah ( the old one)
As per current situation they havent move a lot international flight to new jeddah it still soft opening.

montreuxgarcon Nov 3, 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bax777 (Post 30386226)
Hello,
I'm traveling on Saudia J class LAX to KUL via Jeddah. I read about the prohibited goods for Saudi but wondered if its safe to bring my sleeping pills - I have the paperwork from the doctors office but nonetheless it is likely a prohibited (controlled) medicine. I assume I will stay airside and wont go through customs - but still, do they go through your hand luggage etc looking for prohibited medicines etc?
Would appreciate if anyone can anyone explain the transit process and associated security checks?
thanks.

The transit is very simple , it is safe to bring your sleeping pills. just bring together the prescription from Doctor .last time i bring quetiapine and its fine They not go through your hand lugagge as they have a lot of queue .( chaos)
Just need to take your shoes , and all metalic things including usb , key , coins . not much assistance nor notification , and they speak limited english.

tuchop Nov 6, 2018 8:18 am

Hi I have booked an LH flight from FRA to RUH and planning on booking an EY flight from RUH to AUH (4 hours later). Would I need to go to the local SA Embassy for a transit visa? or is it "issued" when I arrive?
What if I can't get LH to send the bags to AUH as final destination (since they are two different tickets)? Would I be able to get the bags and re check them with the transit visa?
Thanks!

MixalisK. Nov 6, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by tuchop (Post 30399606)
Hi I have booked an LH flight from FRA to RUH and planning on booking an EY flight from RUH to AUH (4 hours later). Would I need to go to the local SA Embassy for a transit visa? or is it "issued" when I arrive?
What if I can't get LH to send the bags to AUH as final destination (since they are two different tickets)? Would I be able to get the bags and re check them with the transit visa?
Thanks!

I cant see how you will pass immigration and get your bags without transit visa. And since visa is required for 12+ hours stay they probably wont give you one. Applying is complicated and costly also.
​​

tuchop Nov 6, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MixalisK. (Post 30399671)
I cant see how you will pass immigration and get your bags without transit visa. And since visa is required for 12+ hours stay they probably wont give you one. Applying is complicated and costly also.
​​

thanks for the answer! If I get LH to transfer my bags all the way to AUH, or if I dont bring any bags at all... would I still need to get a Visa? or is it granted uppon landing? (since i'd be airside for just about 4-5 hours)

ajeleonard Nov 6, 2018 11:04 am

Strongly recommend against separate ticket transit in Saudi Arabia, it's not worth the significant hassle. Transit visa must be obtained in advance or you will not be allowed to board the plane to KSA