Search

Kuwait Airways & Inflight Smoking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Kuwait Airways & Inflight Smoking

Disclaimer: I'm sure I'm not the first person to post on here regarding this issue, but here goes...

I just landed at KWI on KU154 from IST. Straightforward flight on one of the newer A320-214s but a few minutes after takeoff, I could clearly smell something burning from my economy seat in row 11. I had an internal moment of panic thinking something was amiss, but then the smell clearly made itself out to be of cigarettes. The passengers in the seats next to and behind me remarked that they could smell it as well and after asking the cabin crew about it, they acknowledged that sometimes the crew in the cockpit would smoke and sometimes they wouldn't. When asked if our operating crew was smoking, all I got was a sheepish grin.

Here's the thing: I grew up with Kuwait Airways and have family working as operating flight crew. They straight-up told me that despite international law and black-and-white bans from KU management, pilots still light up in the cockpit due to "seniority", "because they can" and don't take orders from anyone younger than them [i.e. a training first officer asking the older and more experienced captain whether or not he should be smoking].

This isn't an excuse or justification, but clearly negligent disregard for any form of rules and regulations. Is there any way to make an example of this on an international/more elevated ground? The pervasive spirit in Kuwait is that everybody knows that wrong is being done but it's ok because nobody ever gets their hand slapped, so speaking up about any wrongdoing is wasted breath.

Does anyone with similar thoughts or experience have ideas or feedback on possible escalation or otherwise?

khabah

Last edited by khabah; Jun 17, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
If you are particularly concerned, you could write in a letter... but find out which law(s) you think the pilots are breaching. This will help your case. I'm not aware of an international ban on smoking in aircraft per se, this would usually be implemented by individual countries. And I'm not sure the ban includes flights crew in all cases or just the passenger cabin. Some airlines permit flight crew to smoke even though passenger smoking is banned.

You might also outline in the letter how you were impacted, particularly pointing out if you have a medical condition that is made worse by the presence of smoke. Or the smell.

Smoking by flight crew is not really a safety issue in relation to the operation of the aircraft.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jun 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
There's a thread here, or perhaps somewhere in the blogosphere, about flight crews on some of the Chinese airlines smoking on their trans-Pac routes-- I guess on account of them being longer.

While it may be more prevalent than the flying public knows, it doesn't make it right. So, if one is able to bring it to the notice of authorities that might be able to curtail smoking onboard, one should certainly take the initiative.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
If the junior is too scared to say anything to the senior re smoking what hope does he have questioning an incorrect technical decision or issue in flight? : -/

Another airline to cross off my list.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
If the junior is too scared to say anything to the senior re smoking what hope does he have questioning an incorrect technical decision or issue in flight? : -/

Another airline to cross off my list.
Perhaps junior is smoking too?

But I don't see the two as related. Smoking is not an issue to the safe operation of the aircraft. Health yes, but not how to fly the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.