Royal Jordanian

Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Baja, Mexico
Posts: 137
Royal Jordanian

I'm flying RJ from Chicago to Amman. I have a couple of questions:
1) will wine be available for purchase?
2) will they provide blankets (in economy)

Anything else I should know, other than that I would have been comfortable in First Class?

Thanks for any help.
PStreet1 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LCA/KUL/RGN
Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by PStreet1
I'm flying RJ from Chicago to Amman. I have a couple of questions:
1) will wine be available for purchase?
2) will they provide blankets (in economy)

Anything else I should know, other than that I would have been comfortable in First Class?

Thanks for any help.
1)It's complimentary in both J and Y
2)Yes

RJ 787 is pretty comfortable in economy,(speaking from experience of taking HKG (13 hours) and LHR (5 hours) flights twice per month).
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,978
imo, RJ has a better product in Y than in J. Their catering and services in economy class are still very 'old school' (good quality, everything included), whereas business class can feel below average in terms of seats, service, and quality.
keitherson is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:40 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Baja, Mexico
Posts: 137
Thanks. I've read some reviews that were terrible, and since we're going anyway, just wanted to be sure I'd be warm enough--and have alcohol available to assuage any pain I might feel. Coming back from Amman, we have almost 18 hours in the air.
PStreet1 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LCA/KUL/RGN
Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by keitherson
imo, RJ has a better product in Y than in J. Their catering and services in economy class are still very 'old school' (good quality, everything included), whereas business class can feel below average in terms of seats, service, and quality.
I fully agree with this (I mean RJ J is, of course, better than RJ Y), but if we speak in relative terms...RJ Y is a very good product...good legrooom, pleasant catering...and while RJ J is not awful, it's inferior if you compare to competitors.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LCA/KUL/RGN
Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by PStreet1
Thanks. I've read some reviews that were terrible, and since we're going anyway, just wanted to be sure I'd be warm enough--and have alcohol available to assuage any pain I might feel. Coming back from Amman, we have almost 18 hours in the air.
Alcohol is freely available throughout the flight: red/white wine,vodka,whiskey,gin,beer etc. Not sure what's the 18 hours flight you refer too? The longest RJ flights is DTW (via YUL),which is just short of 15 hours.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:15 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,937
I am flying ORD-AMM-ORD on an L fare - Economy Semi Restricted .

I would appreciate your help in verification of earnings rate for award miles.

The trip is 12,472 mi RT per gcmap, and the earnings table on RJ states 115% earnings, so I will earn 14,260 RJ Miles?

I am also AA Platinum, and the earnings rate as PLAT on RJ for an L fare is 80%? Based on distance, not fare paid? so I would earn 9,977 AA awards miles (RDM)???

If my math is right, now I have to chose who to credit it to?

I earn more on RJ, but I am not familiar with the program (Just signed up, don't plan to fly more). More miles is better, but maybe not If I can't easily redeem (most likely on partner AA)

or should I just be safe and credit to AA (I have plenty of miles and will fly more soon, so would be nice to top off accoiunt)

I will try to ask for a RJ Challenge via email, if it is granted, it may convince me to go for RJ Sapphire to access OW lounges in US.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,937
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I am flying ORD-AMM-ORD on an L fare - Economy Semi Restricted .

I would appreciate your help in verification of earnings rate for award miles.

The trip is 12,472 mi RT per gcmap, and the earnings table on RJ states 115% earnings, so I will earn 14,260 RJ Miles?

I am also AA Platinum, and the earnings rate as PLAT on RJ for an L fare is 80%? Based on distance, not fare paid? so I would earn 9,977 AA awards miles (RDM)???

If my math is right, now I have to chose who to credit it to?

I earn more on RJ, but I am not familiar with the program (Just signed up, don't plan to fly more). More miles is better, but maybe not If I can't easily redeem (most likely on partner AA)

or should I just be safe and credit to AA (I have plenty of miles and will fly more soon, so would be nice to top off accoiunt)

I will try to ask for a RJ Challenge via email, if it is granted, it may convince me to go for RJ Sapphire to access OW lounges in US.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
After some investigation, I found out that RJ program was changed late last year, so that is why I was confused.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:26 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 11,894
I have noticed quite a few hanged to RJ business class over the years.

Does the purser no longer wear the traditional Jordanian dress when serving the meals?

My meals on two sectors were simply a one tray service BKK to AMM and AMM to ALG. In the past, it was always a cart with multiple dishes on a cart and Pax can choose what they want and its plated at the seat. I was disappointed to see such a rushed one tray service.

Bottled water was not always proactively offered. And refills of wine were never offered. Some Pax received nuts with their drink, but only if they werent eating.

No more gifts at the end of the flight, but I know that was discontinued some time ago.

Are Y meals served in a box? It seemed so on both sectors I traveled with from what I could see.
Still a great seat, but seems to have lost a lot of its panache.
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,681
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I have noticed quite a few hanged to RJ business class over the years.

Does the purser no longer wear the traditional Jordanian dress when serving the meals?

My meals on two sectors were simply a one tray service BKK to AMM and AMM to ALG. In the past, it was always a cart with multiple dishes on a cart and Pax can choose what they want and its plated at the seat. I was disappointed to see such a rushed one tray service.

Bottled water was not always proactively offered. And refills of wine were never offered. Some Pax received nuts with their drink, but only if they werent eating.

No more gifts at the end of the flight, but I know that was discontinued some time ago.

Are Y meals served in a box? It seemed so on both sectors I traveled with from what I could see.
Still a great seat, but seems to have lost a lot of its panache.
I flew AMM-JFK in Business a short while ago - the purser was hardly visible during the flight and certainly did not wear any traditional dress or serve meals at any time. There were two female FAs working the cabin - one Ukrainian and the other I could not tell - and both were very indifferent and aloof.
puchong is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:31 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,937
Just flew first time on RJ on ORD-AMM-ORD. I was satisfied with the economy flight. I am Oneworld Sapphire, Business class check in at ORD at T5, with no wait, and free seat assignment to exit row. There is a priority security line but it feeds to general security area, this is slow. Then access to third party lounge which is better than average.

New 787 with plenty of inflight entertainment. Pillows and blanket. In seat power. Food was ok, complimentary wine. Servers were not too friendly.

On the return I liked the RJ has a separate check in area at AMM for Elites and Business Class. No counter, but multiple desks and chairs for check in. Given access to Diplomatic secuirty line. Took less than 10 minutes from check in, past immigration, and security. The lounge is very large and seems spacious due to high ceilings.

Overall a good experience.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ G, AZ E
Posts: 1,837
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
... and free seat assignment to exit row.
Did you get a free exist row also in the return?
flyerby is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ANR, BELGIUM
Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Posts: 453
Hello,

Am flying RJ J class next weekend ams-amm-dxb, long layover about 10 hours in AMM
I am one world EM, I also have loungekey access with world master card?
have a couple of questions:

-Which is the best lounge for me visit?
- Need to rest which lounges has rooms to sleep? (don't wanna leave the terminal)
-Which has better shower facilities?
-Will I get amenity kit on the flights of should I carry my own toiletries ? (hate to do so , too many things to remove during security)

Thanx a lot to everyone in advance for the help & advice (esp Rami Tamimi)
diamantaire is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:49 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LCA/KUL/RGN
Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Posts: 2,170
Originally Posted by diamantaire
Hello,

Am flying RJ J class next weekend ams-amm-dxb, long layover about 10 hours in AMM
I am one world EM, I also have loungekey access with world master card?
have a couple of questions:

-Which is the best lounge for me visit?
- Need to rest which lounges has rooms to sleep? (don't wanna leave the terminal)
-Which has better shower facilities?
-Will I get amenity kit on the flights of should I carry my own toiletries ? (hate to do so , too many things to remove during security)

Thanx a lot to everyone in advance for the help & advice (esp Rami Tamimi)
There are 2 lounges in AMM:

-The RJ lounge, which has a shower room, but you will be charged 10$. There are a few beds in the lounge (you have to turn left and walk all the way to the end of the lounge), but they are not very private..... I normally park myself at one of the TV suites.

-The Petra lounge, which you can access with LK. I am really not familiar with it, so cant say much about it. It's close to the RJ lounge (as is everything in AMM, so if its free, then why not lounge hop?)

You will get a regional version of the amenity kit on the DXB flight, but I have not been on the AMS flight for so long, so I can't remember if they hand out the "long haul" version, (like they do on the LHR flights).

PS: With a 10 hours layoever, I'd strongly suggest to take RJ's offer of a free room at the hotel 3 minutes away from the terminal.
ps107 likes this.

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Mar 25, 2018 at 7:59 am
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ G, AZ E
Posts: 1,837
Theres an airside hotel option. I have never tried it yet.
flyerby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.