Royal Jordanian

Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Cash booking direct with RJ? Did you get e-tickets (2 off)?
In Qatar QR manage my booking can enter a e-tickets. May (may not) show more information even when the flight is not on QR.

Each passenger has to have a separate ff number. You should have had a ffn for yourself (AA) and a separate ffn for daughter depending on what ffp she is a member of.

RJ Customer Support responded and said the FF account #s were still linked to the itinerary. However I feel like they did something, because now when I log into "Manage My Booking" the FF #s are showing. The AA app is now again showing my flights.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by captainarabiia
RJ replied saying they can book me on May 11th or May 15th.

They said if I want to be re-booked on QR to contact OTA.

Are they saying they can't put me on QR (something they don't do) since it works perfectly fine with my travel plans? Or am I asking too much?

Appreciate your earlier response
If you check the schedule in ExpertFlyer you can see those are the only days they are operating to ZRH that week. I don't know what day your original flight was scheduled, but it's seemingly been cancelled and there's no alternative.

RJ tends to be extremely insistent you use their metal and code on the segments touching AMM so I don't think you're going to get much more out of them without other viable alternatives available as LX also doesn't fly to AMM. In my experience RJ won't fully re-route you on other airlines without using at least some of their own flights, they'll just offer to cancel. Other accounts in this thread and in the premium fares forum support that as well.

You could try to get them to route you to somewhere else in Europe that RJ is actually flying on the day you need (or day before more likely), or get them to route you via CAI on RJ then MS / LX from there to ZRH. The closest point I can see a daily flight on RJ is FRA and some days to MXP.

I wouldn't count on the OTA to do anything, knowing how RJ tends to operate with cancelled flights, I think your options are quite limited and those would mostly likely force you to leave a day early.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
If you check the schedule in ExpertFlyer you can see those are the only days they are operating to ZRH that week. I don't know what day your original flight was scheduled, but it's seemingly been cancelled and there's no alternative.

RJ tends to be extremely insistent you use their metal and code on the segments touching AMM so I don't think you're going to get much more out of them without other viable alternatives available as LX also doesn't fly to AMM. In my experience RJ won't fully re-route you on other airlines without using at least some of their own flights, they'll just offer to cancel. Other accounts in this thread and in the premium fares forum support that as well.

You could try to get them to route you to somewhere else in Europe that RJ is actually flying on the day you need (or day before more likely), or get them to route you via CAI on RJ then MS / LX from there to ZRH. The closest point I can see a daily flight on RJ is FRA and some days to MXP.

I wouldn't count on the OTA to do anything, knowing how RJ tends to operate with cancelled flights, I think your options are quite limited and those would mostly likely force you to leave a day early.
Appreciate your reply.
Yeah I've got pretty limited options, let me see if they can route me directly to somewhere in Europe.
My actual ticket was as follows:
Supposed to land at DXB with EK, May 13th at 1 a.m, and fly out with RJ at 6 a.m. reaching ZRH around 4 p.m.
Getting a new ticket from DXB-Europe is pretty expensive last minute.
I'll call them too and see if they can put me on QR.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited by captainarabiia; Apr 18, 2024 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:26 am

Appreciate your reply.
Yeah I've got pretty limited options, let me see if they can route me directly to somewhere in Europe.
My actual ticket was as follows:
Supposed to land at DXB with EK, May 13th at 1 a.m, and fly out with RJ at 6 a.m. reaching ZRH around 4 p.m.
Getting a new ticket from DXB-Europe is pretty expensive last minute.
I'll call them too and see if they can put me on QR.
Fingers crossed.
Looks like for that day only FRA, CDG, MAD or LHR would work. LHR is a bit out of the way, but is the only one that gets 787 service so could be worth it if you can get an affordable flight to ZRH from there. I'm guessing though FRA may be the best choice with both flight and train options. (assuming they let you have an option to change airports)
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:09 pm

Looks like for that day only FRA, CDG, MAD or LHR would work. LHR is a bit out of the way, but is the only one that gets 787 service so could be worth it if you can get an affordable flight to ZRH from there. I'm guessing though FRA may be the best choice with both flight and train options. (assuming they let you have an option to change airports)
Update:

RJ offered to re-route me to FRA.
DXB office was helpful.

AMM call center was adamant that OTA has to request any changes.
QR wasn't an option with either offices.

Thanks everyone

Another question, are upgrades lower during check in at the airport? Or better to bid lowest on Go Crown? Not sure how busy these flights are flying J.
Cedar Jet and plunet like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:29 am

Update:

RJ offered to re-route me to FRA.
DXB office was helpful.

AMM call center was adamant that OTA has to request any changes.
QR wasn't an option with either offices.

Thanks everyone

Another question, are upgrades lower during check in at the airport? Or better to bid lowest on Go Crown? Not sure how busy these flights are flying J.
Glad that worked out for you...

I can't answer your other question though, have never flown RJ on anything other than a J, C, or D ticket. I do know that it feels to me they sell out business class on every flight so must be offering decent upgrade deals on it. I was on a BKK flight last year where a couple had fairly obviously just upgraded at the airport and had the FA's asking everyone to move seats so they could sit together. I declined because I always get the center section (787) and theirs were aisle but window side, I don't want to be bothered with people stepping over me or v.v.

For your flight though, it's an A320, the seat is certainly better but not worth paying a huge surcharge for. Especially if you have status and can eat in the lounge ahead of time (It's also a Priority Pass lounge). RJ business class is extremely average at best, though the A320 seats are much better than Eurobusines (most of the time, they do have a couple of all economy planes which pop up occasionally, they'll put displaced business passengers in the first few rows with a blocked middle and feed business meals.). For just an upgrade where you're not getting mileage credit for a business ticket, I don't know how much more I'd actually pay for an RJ upgrade on an A320 flight.
captainarabiia likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:38 am

Glad that worked out for you...

I can't answer your other question though, have never flown RJ on anything other than a J, C, or D ticket. I do know that it feels to me they sell out business class on every flight so must be offering decent upgrade deals on it. I was on a BKK flight last year where a couple had fairly obviously just upgraded at the airport and had the FA's asking everyone to move seats so they could sit together. I declined because I always get the center section (787) and theirs were aisle but window side, I don't want to be bothered with people stepping over me or v.v.

For your flight though, it's an A320, the seat is certainly better but not worth paying a huge surcharge for. Especially if you have status and can eat in the lounge ahead of time (It's also a Priority Pass lounge). RJ business class is extremely average at best, though the A320 seats are much better than Eurobusines (most of the time, they do have a couple of all economy planes which pop up occasionally, they'll put displaced business passengers in the first few rows with a blocked middle and feed business meals.). For just an upgrade where you're not getting mileage credit for a business ticket, I don't know how much more I'd actually pay for an RJ upgrade on an A320 flight.
Fair enough, yeah the 320's with RJ aren't the greatest unlike other Gulf carriers.
TK/GF neos were comfortable.

Reason for upgrade is to get more TP's to credit to BAEC.

I'll try at check-in and update here
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:01 am

Fair enough, yeah the 320's with RJ aren't the greatest unlike other Gulf carriers.
TK/GF neos were comfortable.

Reason for upgrade is to get more TP's to credit to BAEC.

I'll try at check-in and update here
I can't speak to RJ specifically but generally an upgrade will credit at the booking class you paid for, not the upgraded booking class (which is often an award class). I've seen a few exceptions to that, but the norm is that you get credit for what you booked.

RJ A320's are quite similar to TK, GF, EY up front if that's what you're after. But they're nothing like the lie-flat A320's QR has in their fleet (not all are, just some)
plunet likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Singapore Airlines Gold
AMM-STN tier points

[QUOTE=plunet;36065403]Yeh, I asked the same in the BA forum, no answers and the BA avios ans tier point calculator hasn't been updated still.

It would be amazing if we could get any data points on AMM-STN! I've managed to book myself on this in J in mid-June so if nobody hears anything by then I'll report back...
plunet likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 7:59 pm

Flew RJ ZRH-DXB.
Old 320 planes lol, IFE's out of touch, did turn on, but were blank.
Lounge was alright.

One thing which felt nice, I was seated in Y, Cabin Crew Manager walks up to my seat, gives a warm welcome, and thanks be for being a frequent flyer lol.

I just turned OneWorld Sapphire but with BA.

Friendly crew

First time flying RJ, can't beat the price of 240 EUR RT

Last edited by captainarabiia; May 4, 2024 at 8:07 pm
Old May 5, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Just returned from my first RJ flight. A very short one of 45 minutes between Beirut and Amman in an Embraer. Seated in business class I could not believe the food that was offered. Started with the Arab coffee and dates before takeoff. Then after, crisp white linen cloth over my table. Then a paper menu with not just one but 2 different kinds of cuisine, Mideastern and Western. Each offering a cold appetizer, entree (choice of 2) and then dessert. Also a separate bar menu with all kinds of wines and after dinner liqueurs. Absolutely unreal how much was offered and yes, was able to enjoy it all in just 45 minutes.

Damn the way the U.S. carriers can not serve food on so many flights and most a lot longer than 45 minutes! Why do we Americans allow our carriers to treat us like garbage ?!
Old May 8, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by plunet
What I have seen is spread across various comments, the underlying growth in passenger numbers was positive when last reported but the regional war hadn't had the chance to impact those figures and RJ have publicly stated that they expect a tough time in their last quarter with downturn in bookings and higher costs due to needing to avoid airspace.

There's a pattern of short notice cancellations of flights, probably because they're not full enough to make a profit, inflexibility to handle rebooking because RJ agents do not have scope to be flexible, and just being horrible when dealing with cases when they should be refunding passengers, there's a few examples up thread, including a UK national newspaper troubleshooter that couldn't even persuade RJ to refund a passenger the money to which they were entitled.

So no major alarm bells, and not as serious as it was during the pandemic, but a challenging time nevertheless.
...apologies for the late response. I appreciate your viewpoints re this. Agreed - this is nothing compared to the virus crisis.

Most recently, I flew with RJ in March. I tend to like them. Anyways...

FY 2023 financials are now out - and also 1Q 2024 numbers in Arabic.
Annual Report Financial Statement - Royal Jordanian (rj.com)
- 4Q 2023 was challenging for reasons outlined above
- At operating level, RJ was at around breakeven for full year 2023
- Cash levels look good at around $0.2bn as of Dec-23
- Equity was positive as of Dec-23 (capitalisation of gov't funding during the virus crisis; acquisition of Jordan Airports Company in 2023)
- Looks like 1Q 2024 was not that great, but hopefully things will improve during the year...

Interview with CEO Majali
Royal Jordanian hit by Gaza war impact and Airbus delivery delays, airline chief says (thenationalnews.com)
- Tourist demand has most certainly reduced in immediate term
- VFR demand, demand within region less impacted
- Connecting traffic, Umrah offset reduction in inbound tourism demand (from Europe)
Old May 8, 2024, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by worldspan
Damn the way the U.S. carriers can not serve food on so many flights and most a lot longer than 45 minutes! Why do we Americans allow our carriers to treat us like garbage ?!
Quite simple, unions! FA unions and high levels of customer service don't mix, they just allow FA's to do as little as possible with contempt for their customers. In the middle east, FA's often aren't from the country of the airline and are happy just to be employed, good service is required to remain employed. I think RJ's FA's actually are Jordanian, at least most of the time but most other ME carriers have 3rd country nationals working for them.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Singapore Airlines Gold
[QUOTE=twoclicks;36191630]
Originally Posted by plunet
Yeh, I asked the same in the BA forum, no answers and the BA avios ans tier point calculator hasn't been updated still.

It would be amazing if we could get any data points on AMM-STN! I've managed to book myself on this in J in mid-June so if nobody hears anything by then I'll report back...
As an update, I have been changed to a Heathrow flight, so..
Can't update you on STN! although it could be changed back of course...
Old May 13, 2024, 9:56 am

Just had my first experience on Royal Jordanian (RJ) this past week flying to Dubai (RDU-JFK-AMM-DXB) and returning to Raleigh Durham (DXB-AMM-ORD-RDU).
All segments booked on RJ ticket:
JFK-AMM, AMM-DXB, AMM-ORD segments all on RJ (787-8)
AMM-DXB on RJ (A320)
RDU-JFK on AA Eagle (Emb 175)
ORD-RDU -on AA (737-800)
Overall I had a very positive experience with RJ economy. Crew was very friendly and helpful. Seats on 787s were comfortable and even at 6'1", 250 lbs I felt comfortable and had adequate legroom. (Not so much on the A320 from DXB to AMM). Blankets and pillows provided were of good quality. Seat back entertainment system on the 787s was good with lots of movie and TV options. Nice to be able to watch a movie on a flight and not have to use a mobile device/phone. Meals in economy were actually very good, way better than I expected based on some online reviews. Only thing I really missed was not have access to Wi-Fi. I know Emirates offers it to economy on their long-hauls. Not sure why RJ doesn't offer it.

I was traveling with my adult daughter and we took advantage of RJ's bidding system for the "extra seat" on the RJ segments. I had never heard of this but it seemed like a good deal, and much more reasonable than the bidding costs for upgrades to Business Class. We got approved for them all, so we had the middle seat empty between us on all the RJ segments. $240 USD total spent on the extra seat purchases, so our total airfare cost was $1350 USD pp (round-trip). Pretty good value for RDU to DXB and back if you ask me.

Only real complaint was with boarding. Might be a cultural thing, but they don't seem to follow boarding zone instructions. In JFK, after business class loaded, they asked for passengers in economy, rows 25+ to board first. A ton of passengers boarded and we waited for our rows to be called. Soon we noticed we were almost the only ones still at the gate. The next boarding zone announcement made was for general/final boarding. By the time we got on, all the overhead storage in the front near our seat (row 9) was occupied and we had to go to row 18 to find room for out carry on luggage. We didn't make the same mistake in AMM or DXB on the remainder of the RJ segment and we immediately got in line when economy boarding was announced, regardless of zone.

In full disclosure, this was my first experience on RJ, which was also my first experience on a middle east carrier, and truth be told on any carrier not based in the US or Canada. Despite being a FF (AA Gold), I haven't been on a long-haul flight for over 20 years. So my expectations were not high and obviously RJ was way nicer than the US carriers I'm used to flying. My wife flew separately RT on Emirates (Economy Plus at $4K USD RT), so her aircraft/food/and crew experience may have been much nicer, but based on her descriptions, it was not worth the extra 3K (that luckily her company spent). Only major benefit to her was no connection in Europe or the Middle East, but after 13 hours (YYZ to DXB), she actually admitted that she would have prefered a connection to break up the flight. Our connections in AMM went well, even the short one 1-hour connection that I was very fearful of. See my separate post on AMM connection times for a description on those connections.

Only major regret was that I had lost my Platinum status on AA back in March and therefore was only AA Gold (OW Ruby) when flying this trip. Therefore I missed out on priority boarding, extra baggage, and most importantly; access to to business class lounges. And with a 7 hour layover in JFK and 2.5 layover in AMM on the return, that definitely would have been helpful. IMO, Ruby OW status is really worthless when flying codeshare. Only plus side to AA gold was that we did get the upgrade to 1st on the final ORD to RDU segment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.