Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Ethiopian Long-Haul Aircraft with Flat Bed Seats
(UPDATED 05NOV23)

TOTAL : 59 aircraft - 49 with fully flat beds, 10 with 160-angled flat

At least 50+ aircraft with WiFi. WiFi has now been installed on almost all 787s in addition to the 777/350 fleet.

Boeing 777-200LRs
(Total 6 - with WiFi)

ET-ANN - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANO - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANP - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANQ - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANR - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-AQL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 777-300ERs
(Total 4 - with WiFi)

ET-APX - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-APY - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASK - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 787-8s
(Total 19 - most - if not all - now fitted with WiFi)

===
ET-AOO - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOP - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOQ - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOR - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOS - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOT - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOU - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOV - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARE - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARF - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ASG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATJ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel

NOTE : All B787-8 flights are loaded with the flat bed seatmap until between 48-72 hours prior to the flight. Check back within 48 hours when the actual aircraft is allocated and the seatmap may change. If row 11 shows seats ABC-DEF-JKL, then you have the old configuration. If it shows only seats JKL for row 11, then it is the new configuration.

Boeing 787-9s
(Total 10 - all equipped with WiFi)

ET-AUO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXS - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AXT - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)

Airbus 350-900s
(Total 20 - all equipped with Wifi)

ET-ATQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATY - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUA - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVE - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWM - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWN - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AYA - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYB - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYM - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZI - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?

Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by mlm
I will be flying Cloud 9 LAX to DUB on ET# 505 in May '2019 on 787-8 Dreamliner. Seatguru shows 180 degree lay flat seats when you click on the individual seat, yet their overall description of the seats says 160 degree angle. Which is it ? Hoping for the 180 lay flat. Thank you.

The DUB/LAX route uses the ET-AO*/AR*/AS* aircraft of which only ASG/H/I are configured with flat beds. The AO*/AR* aircraft have the 160-angled seats. Therefore the chances of getting flat beds on that route are 3/13 = 23% approx. The AT* aircraft with the flat bed seats won't be used to North America.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:00 pm
mlm

Thank you B747-437B, unfortunately not what I was hoping to hear.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The DUB/LAX route uses the ET-AO*/AR*/AS* aircraft of which only ASG/H/I are configured with flat beds. The AO*/AR* aircraft have the 160-angled seats. Therefore the chances of getting flat beds on that route are 3/13 = 23% approx. The AT* aircraft with the flat bed seats won't be used to North America.
B747-I am on the same flight to DUB then ADD in later November. Any chance they covert more of the 787s to lie flat?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by tpwoofs

B747-I am on the same flight to DUB then ADD in later November. Any chance they covert more of the 787s to lie flat?
No
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Im on ET502 ADD-DUB-YYZ tomorrow (19SEP). It looks like it may be operated by a 787-9, although I acknowledge theres still a chance of a swap to another type.

If it remains as a 787-9, does Row 5 in the Cloud Nine cabin have a normal window layout? Or is it similar to Row 4 on the 787-8 that I flew on from SIN-ADD a couple of days ago (ET-AOT), missing the window immediately next to the seat?

EDIT: Also, on the 787-9, does Row 4 have the normal window layout too?

Last edited by Jazzed91; Sep 18, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
Im on ET502 ADD-DUB-YYZ tomorrow (19SEP). It looks like it may be operated by a 787-9, although I acknowledge theres still a chance of a swap to another type.

If it remains as a 787-9, does Row 5 in the Cloud Nine cabin have a normal window layout? Or is it similar to Row 4 on the 787-8 that I flew on from SIN-ADD a couple of days ago (ET-AOT), missing the window immediately next to the seat?

EDIT: Also, on the 787-9, does Row 4 have the normal window layout too?
Having just completed the first half of ET502, ADD-DUB(-YYZ), on the 787-9 I can now answer these questions myself, for the benefit of future readers...

Row 5 in the Cloud Nine cabin has a normal window layout.

Row 4, however, is stuck with the same odd window layout as on the 787-8 (ie, missing the window immediately next to the seat).
B747-437B and b_magee like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP
My partner and I are looking to book a flight to Addis on ET in business class sometime next spring or summer using UA miles. We're based in SFO, so we can pretty easily route through any North American gateway, though LAX would be easiest.

Is there any particular ET gateway from North American that consistently gets flat-bed seats in business class? Also, does anyone know how quickly the remaining 787-8s without flat beds are being refurbished?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by isherwood
Is there any particular ET gateway from North American that consistently gets flat-bed seats in business class? Also, does anyone know how quickly the remaining 787-8s without flat beds are being refurbished?
IAD tends to be 777 most of the year and all 777s are configured with flat beds. These are also the most comfortable seats in the fleet, even though they are aging. If that is important to you, then go via IAD. Both LAX and ORD will almost certainly remain 787-8 routes for now and YYZ is a total mix of aircraft on day to day basis sometimes.

The 787-8s are most likely not going to be reconfigured. ET considers them internally to be already flat beds and they do give you a level sleeping surface, just not one perfectly parallel to the floor.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Can someone confirm that if I am on a 787 800 in J I have a worse than 50 / 50 chance of getting a 180 flat bed (10/19 aircraft have 160 degree seats) or have they replaced more of the angled seats since the Wiki was last modified in June of 2018?

I am booked to fly YYZ ADD in March on a 788
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MQS007
Can someone confirm that if I am on a 787 800 in J I have a worse than 50 / 50 chance of getting a 180 flat bed (10/19 aircraft have 160 degree seats) or have they replaced more of the angled seats since the Wiki was last modified in June of 2018? I am booked to fly YYZ ADD in March on a 788
YYZ will not get any of the ET-AT* aircraft, so your odds are actually even lower.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Sorry I am not sure what ET_AT* aircraft are.

When you say the odds are lower does that mean it is less likely that I will get a lie flat or more likely, (I assume less). One would think that they would try and have the flat beds on the longer overnights like YYZ ADD and ADD YYZ
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:55 pm

One would think that they would try and have the flat beds on the longer overnights like YYZ ADD and ADD YYZ
One would be wrong in that case.

With very rare exceptions, the ET-AT* subfleet (6/9 of the flat bed equipped aircraft) is used only on shorter sectors and not on the transatlantic flights. Only the 3 ET-AS* aircraft are used regularly to North America and also have flat beds. Most of the North America flights are with ET-AO* and ET-AR* aircraft that have the angled seats.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Doesn't the YYZ-ADD route get 777 aircraft about half the time? So the OP could get a lie flat 777 substituted.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
One would be wrong in that case.

With very rare exceptions, the ET-AT* subfleet (6/9 of the flat bed equipped aircraft) is used only on shorter sectors and not on the transatlantic flights. Only the 3 ET-AS* aircraft are used regularly to North America and also have flat beds. Most of the North America flights are with ET-AO* and ET-AR* aircraft that have the angled seats.
This just seems backwards
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

This just seems backwards
The ET-AT* aircraft are equipped with RR engines and a lower MTOW, so they are payload restricted on the transatlantic flights. The others are GEnx engine powered and able to carry higher payload on the longer sectors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.