Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Ethiopian Long-Haul Aircraft with Flat Bed Seats
(UPDATED 05NOV23)

TOTAL : 59 aircraft - 49 with fully flat beds, 10 with 160-angled flat

At least 50+ aircraft with WiFi. WiFi has now been installed on almost all 787s in addition to the 777/350 fleet.

Boeing 777-200LRs
(Total 6 - with WiFi)

ET-ANN - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANO - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANP - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANQ - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ANR - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-AQL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 777-300ERs
(Total 4 - with WiFi)

ET-APX - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-APY - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASK - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite
ET-ASL - Yes - Zodiac Aura Lite

Boeing 787-8s
(Total 19 - most - if not all - now fitted with WiFi)

===
ET-AOO - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOP - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOQ - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOR - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOS - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOT - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOU - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-AOV - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARE - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ARF - No - Zodiac Aura Lite (angled)
ET-ASG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ASI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATG - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATH - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATI - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATJ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel

NOTE : All B787-8 flights are loaded with the flat bed seatmap until between 48-72 hours prior to the flight. Check back within 48 hours when the actual aircraft is allocated and the seatmap may change. If row 11 shows seats ABC-DEF-JKL, then you have the old configuration. If it shows only seats JKL for row 11, then it is the new configuration.

Boeing 787-9s
(Total 10 - all equipped with WiFi)

ET-AUO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXK - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXL - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AXS - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AYD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)
ET-AXT - Yes - Collins Aerospace Super Diamond (Reverse Herringbone)

Airbus 350-900s
(Total 20 - all equipped with Wifi)

ET-ATQ - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATR - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-ATY - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUA - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AUC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVB - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVC - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVD - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AVE - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWM - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWN - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWO - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AWP - Yes - Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel
ET-AYA - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYB - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYM - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AYN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZI - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)
ET-AZN - Yes - Safran Optima (New config)

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The 737 Max Business Class seats are pretty much like US domestic first class, but with a bit more legroom. There are personal TVs, streaming BYOD AVOD and in-seat power on most of the aircraft (some of the most recent deliveries may not be functional yet though due to supplier issues), but no WiFi. Service is exactly the same as on the widebodies - so you will get the high lunch on morning bank departures from Addis that includes the injera course.
Those are crappy business class seats. At least I didn't pay for them as they are award seats. I was hoping they would at least be the barcalounger style as I was wanting to snooze some more during the 5 hour flight. I know we will be exhausted after coming in from ORD. We don't have any time to rest in the ET lounge at ADD as we have only a 30 minute connection, I hope we make it.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Just flew 2 segments (YYZ-ADD and ADD-CDG) on the A350 with the Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel seats. Was really hoping to try out theSafran Optima(New config). These diamond seats are the same ones used by United/Continental since 15 years ago. Sat in 1A both times and it was perfectly adequate but really surprised they went with such an old fashioned seat design even when the plane was so new and delivered in 2019. First segment there was no one next to me which was the best of both worlds and having a window seat with direct aisle access and plenty of privacy. The shorter flight to Paris it was full in Business so I did the hop from the window to the aisle over someone sleeping a few times which thankfully I am flexible enough to do this without disturbing the person in the aisle seat. Row 1 footwell is really nice and would highly recommend compared to the tiny ones in other rows. The middle 2 seats are great for solo travelers who like easy aisle access and don't care about window views. The padding on the seats are pretty good and decently soft/plush. Wish the storage area in the back had a small net rather than a shallow dish, was always afraid taller items would fall out during turbulence.
B747-437B and TJ1989 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
My wife and I will be flying on ET this summer back from South Africa to ORD (via YYZ). I am seeing that the flights between YYZ ad ADD have a viery high percentage of the Safari Optima (1-2-1 offset seating). However when we select seats after booking we use the default A350 seat map for ET (the 2-2-2 layout).

How far in advance will we be able to see the seat map for a different aircraft (if a change to the new seat map occurs)?

Last edited by cheltzel; Apr 18, 2023 at 11:26 am Reason: fix spelling/grammar
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
How far in advance will we be able to see the seat map for a different aircraft (if a change to the new seat map occurs)?
Between 48-72 hours
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:23 pm

If you have a 16hr layover in ADD, are you allowed to stay in the lounge for the full 16hrs if you’re flying business reward ticket?
Old May 20, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Is ET still flying their oldest J cabin on GRU/EZE flights? Found some J availability early next year, but I'm kind of wary of going for a 54-hour itinerary where I need to spend 70% of the time in an angled seat.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
Is ET still flying their oldest J cabin on GRU/EZE flights? Found some J availability early next year, but I'm kind of wary of going for a 54-hour itinerary where I need to spend 70% of the time in an angled seat.
I just took a look at recent history on FR24 and it looks like you have a >50% chance of one of the old 788s (angled/flat).
bfwolf and gojko88 like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:29 pm

Wiki has been updated to include ET-AYD, the 28th 787 in the fleet and the 9th 787-9.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:55 pm

On the seat selection it doesn't show the economy seat map for my flights, just the 4 rows in business. Is there any way to see which config I'll have?
Old May 23, 2023, 1:17 pm

Anyone have photos of the seat on the 77W typically flown on IAD-ADD? Heading IAD-ADD-TNR in July and ET is the lowest priced option in J so the corporate policy dictate I book it.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by BOSishome
Anyone have photos of the seat on the 77W typically flown on IAD-ADD? Heading IAD-ADD-TNR in July and ET is the lowest priced option in J so the corporate policy dictate I book it.
The pictures on Seatguru are accurate. I've flown both the 77W and 77L and the business class seats are virtually identical (if not totally identical).

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Et..._777-300ER.php

I've flown a lot of 2-3-2 business class configurations over the years as a solo business traveler. I personally preferred the aisle seats of the middle 3 over the other aisle seats as I found I was rarely disturbed during the flights by a passenger next to me getting up. As always YMMV.
BOSishome likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Maybe I’m getting old. Maybe it’s because I retired just before Covid and haven’t flown much since. Im just a bit more confused on this trip.

I’m putting together an itinerary to/from SAfrica in April 2024. The lower award prices on ET are tempting … and we have 2 friends working in the embassy in Addis.

I’ve been able to piece together 777 (IAD-ADD) A350 (ADD-CPT r/t) and 787 (ADD-ORD). Business class all segments.

The availability of Wi-Fi doesn’t concern me. I’m traveling with my Honey boo, so direct aisle access is not a big issue. But our biggest priority is a lie flat seat on the long flights between the US and Addis.

does ET have a history of sending long-haul flights to Washington or Chicago with angled seats? Or are those premier routes that always have flat seats and the angled seats go to more outlying areas?

88,000 United miles each direction is killer…round trip is less than UA Polaris one way! Any words of wisdom for someone flying ET for the first time?
mahdnc likes this.

Last edited by kevinsac; Jul 4, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:24 pm

Kevin I flew ORD-ADD on the angled seat in May. It is lie flat, but at a slight angle. It's tolerable, I slept for 9 hours. I flew home from CPT on the UA nonstop to IAD. Even though the UA biz seat on the 787 nis more comfortable, ET service and food beats UA hands down. It used to be the other way around. Take the ET flights, as compared to UA the experience is far superior to UA these days.

I'll be back on this flight in January on my way to Entebbe for a safari in Uganda, and same flights/aircraft coming home. I also got my J awards for 88K. It's the best award deal out there now.
B747-437B and cheltzel like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:03 am

I've had a different experience with ET out of ORD than susiesan has had with the 788 angled/flat seats. I suspect that we differ on this because of our physical statures. I am well over 6 ft tall and weigh in at around 230 lbs. The 788s that have the Zodiac Aura lite seats do not have a footwell and I have encountered ones where the seat mechanism if hard to work with and/or partially inoperable. I do not sleep well on these seats. IMO it is the size and condition oi the seats. These angled/flat seats are on the oldest aircraft in ET's fleet. I have flown on other airlines with similar seats and had a much better experience. If you are shorter and slimmer you may very well have no issues with the seat (especially if you get a seat that works properly).

susiesan and I agree totally on the catering. I haven't flown UA Polaris recently but my experiences with both airlines before and during COVID were that ET's on board food and service in business are much better than UA. The only issue for this in flying out of ORD on ET is you are flying out of T5. ORD is a construction zone right now (and T5 in particular). Unless you are flying in on a very early morning connection into T1, you will not get Polaris lounge access. Also the new ADD Cloud Nine Lounge at ADD is really quite good.

I significantly prefer the B77L, B77W ad A359 aircraft that fly on the morning flights out of IAD (ET500/ET501) and YYZ (ET552/ET553). The evening flight between IAD and ADD (ET516/ET518) gets similar aircraft as ORD does. I have found the lounge/restaurant situation at both IAD and YYZ for superior to T5 as well. The AC Maple Leaf Lounge in the international departures area of YYZ T1 is very nice. And at IAD you have access to both the Polaris Lounge as well as the TK lounge. Both are very nice and uncrowded (especially in the morning).
kevinsac likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
A 90-min connection (IAD-ADD-CPT) is manageable if flights on time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.