Search

Minimum Connection Time CAI Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: MilleMiglia, FB, Miles&More, Iberia Plus
Minimum Connection Time CAI Airport

Hi Guys,
I will land in CAI with LH in terminal 1 and I will leave with EK from terminal 3.
I've 4 hours of connection between the two flights; will be enough? Any suggestions?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is this a connection or two separate tickets. If the latter I would allow a minimum of four hours. If the former it's way too long.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately 2 separate ticket....4 hours should be enough? How I can go from one terminal to other? There is an internal shuttle bus or I have to go trough the immigration?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I think you've muddled your terminals. Lufthansa uses the (nice, modern, clean) T3 with EgyptAir and other *A carriers. T1 is the less efficient, less friendly, terminal used by other carriers.

Your progress between the two depends on whether your bags are interlined. If not, then clearly you'll have to collect them and go through a lot of faff (and probably pay for a visa). If your bags are checked through, or if you are hand baggage only, then life becomes easier. Don't head for immigration, but present yourself at the information/airside transfer desk in T3 with a boarding card for your next flight, or a printout of the itinerary/ticket. Most likely they'll ask you to sit down somewhere while they arrange an airside transfer via the apron by bus. At T1 you face being stored in a buffer zone while they go off with your passport and paperwork to get an OK (and boarding cards) from your airline. When all that's sorted you go through to T1's airside departure area.

The process is somewhat fluid. There are variations at each stage. I've done it a few times, and each time was slightly different. It seems like a muddle, but (like many things in Egypt) it works despite the outward confusion.

Four hours should be a comfortable connection time. Unless there's a significant delay inbound ....

Overnight stays at the cheaper airport hotel ($60 or so) give peace of mind.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think you've muddled your terminals. Lufthansa uses the (nice, modern, clean) T3 with EgyptAir and other *A carriers. T1 is the less efficient, less friendly, terminal used by other carriers.

Your progress between the two depends on whether your bags are interlined. If not, then clearly you'll have to collect them and go through a lot of faff (and probably pay for a visa). If your bags are checked through, or if you are hand baggage only, then life becomes easier. Don't head for immigration, but present yourself at the information/airside transfer desk in T3 with a boarding card for your next flight, or a printout of the itinerary/ticket. Most likely they'll ask you to sit down somewhere while they arrange an airside transfer via the apron by bus. At T1 you face being stored in a buffer zone while they go off with your passport and paperwork to get an OK (and boarding cards) from your airline. When all that's sorted you go through to T1's airside departure area.

The process is somewhat fluid. There are variations at each stage. I've done it a few times, and each time was slightly different. It seems like a muddle, but (like many things in Egypt) it works despite the outward confusion.

Four hours should be a comfortable connection time. Unless there's a significant delay inbound ....

Overnight stays at the cheaper airport hotel ($60 or so) give peace of mind.
Hi Ian,
thank you very much, all clear!
I travel with hand luggage only, so should be fine. I only hope that EK will let me print the boarding pass online
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by MalboroLi
Hi Ian,
thank you very much, all clear!
I travel with hand luggage only, so should be fine. I only hope that EK will let me print the boarding pass online
I had my BP printed in advance online (AZ - connecting from QR,carry on only as well) , but in T1 they followed anyway the procedure IAN-UK described.No big deal if you have enough time.

In T3 printed BP or printed itinerary to transfer to T1 were both fine (my experience was TK to QR),always followed with the buffer zone waiting in T1 to get your BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.