Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

An EgyptAir Airbus A320, registration SU-GCC from Paris Charles de Gaulle (flight MS804 departing 18 May) to Cairo with 56 passengers, 2 flight crew, 5 cabin crew and 3 security personnel, lost contact over the Mediterranan Sea about 280km (151nm) from the Coast of Egypt at 02:30 local time (00:30 UTC) on 19 May 2016. Greece's Civil Aviation Authority reported radar contact with the aircraft was lost about 2 minutes after the aircraft was handed off from Greek to Egyptian Air Traffic Control.

At 12:30 CEST (10:30 UTC) 19 May 2016 France's President Hollande announced that the aircraft has crashed while flying over the Mediterranean Sea in Egyptian Airspace.

At 19:00 local time (17:00 UTC) 19 May 2016 EgyptAir posted on their Facebook page that wreckage of the missing aircraft was found near Karpathos Island. This was later denied by the head of the Greek air safety authority. EgyptAir's VP subsequently retracted the statement that debris of the aircraft had been found and said they were mistaken.

On the morning of 20 May 2016 The Egyptian Armed Forces informed EgyptAir that they have found first debris from the missing aircraft operating flight MS804 around 295 KM from the Egyptian coastline.
On 20 May 2016 The Aviation Herald published ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System) messages which suggested there was smoke in a lavatory followed by smoke in the avionics bay.

On 22 May 2016 Egypt's President confirmed that the Petroleum Ministry has provided a submarine that could reach 3,000 meters under water in an attempt to retrieve the two black boxes.

On 23 May 2016 the French BEA and Egypt's Civil Aviation Authority, in response to media reports of an emergency call on Egypt's frequency, stated that no such communication has been received on any frequency.

On 1st Jun 2016 Egypt's Civil Aviation Authority reported that the French vessel "Laplace" has located pings presumed to originate from one of two black boxes. The French BEA confirmed that Egyptian Authorities have confirmed a "signal that may come from one of the recorders" of flight MS-804.

On 16 Jun 2016 the vessel "John Lethbridge" managed to retrieve the cockpit voice recorder in several stages as the CVR had been damaged.

On 17 June 2016 the vessel "John Lethbridge" managed to recover the memory module of the second black box, the flight data recorder.

List of nationalities of passengers on Board:

30 Egyptian
15 French
2 Iraqi
1 British (dual nationality with Australia as confirmed by AU government)
1 Belgian
1 Kuwaiti
1 Saudi
1 Sudanese
1 Chadian
1 Portuguese
1 Algerian
1 Canadian

+ 10 crew of unknown nationality.

Useful, reliable links:
Aviation Herald (Avherald) article on MS804
BBC article on MS804

MODERATOR NOTE

If you are posting media reports please summarize or quote a sentence or two and link to the source whenever possible.

When discussing this tragedy please bear in mind that these matters are always personal and should be treated with respect. Family members and other affected parties may be following this thread.

Moderation of this thread will be strictly "to rules". Moreover, because of how quickly this thread is moving, it is simply not possible to contact each individual poster whose post may be deleted or edited. We ask for your patience and understanding, and thank you for your cooperation.

For those who are eligible there is a thread in OMNI/PR if anyone wishes to speculate possible links with any terrorist group or discuss politics.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...s-missing.html

Moderator team for this thread: obscure2k, armagebedar, NewbieRunner

About FlyerTalk

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).
If you have an issue with a post, please contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
Print Wikipost

EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
An expert is suggesting from the data that there was a security breach and midair explosion.
Wow! That's quite the statement to make so soon after the disappearance.

No confirmed sighting of wreckage, SAR has barely gotten underway and already an "expert" knows what happened.

You called it! ^
Old May 18, 2016, 9:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have just deleted a political post that has nothing to do with this potential tragedy. Please keep this thread for actual information and not for ridiculous statements about the US election.

Carol
Community Director
Old May 18, 2016, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaysona
Wow! That's quite the statement to make so soon after the disappearance.

No confirmed sighting of wreckage, SAR has barely gotten underway and already an "expert" knows what happened.

You called it! ^
The CNN "expert" doesn't claim to know, but is basing the tentative conclusion on a lack of communication from the flight for over an hour, including no transmissions about any mechanical problems during level flight at normal cruising altitiude.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The CNN "expert" doesn't claim to know, but is basing the tentative conclusion on a lack of communication from the flight for over an hour, including no transmissions about any mechanical problems during level flight at normal cruising altitiude.
I really wish these "experts" would wait until there is more conclusive evidence vs making statements and jumping to a (potential) conclusion while there's still a vacuum of conclusive evidence.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Willbur
Can't lie, getting some cold feet about my trip to Egypt in a month.
How are you getting there? I flew AF from CDG when I went last year. I felt perfectly safe in the country.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jaysona
I really wish these "experts" would wait until there is more conclusive evidence vs making statements and jumping to a (potential) conclusion while there's still a vacuum of conclusive evidence.
Need to keep viewers I guess, but I agree it's ridiculous.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Fingers crossed.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
According to an EgyptAir official on CNN:

Very experienced crew (6,200 hours and 4,000 hours for the pilot and copilot respectively), aircraft was first put into service in 2002. There were no issues when the flight left Paris. No special cargo on board. No weather problems, especially in the area where the flight disappeared, although forecasted bad weather in a couple days could hamper search and rescue/recovery efforts.

People waiting for passengers at the airport have been taken elsewhere (I didn't catch the details but it sounds like some EgyptAir facilities at/near the airport) and are being cared for.

ADDED: Now they're saying (from flightaware?) that the flight was scheduled for a 787 (I think they mean 737) but the A320 was swapped in at the last minute. The ten (?) crew were (only) two in the cockpit, five (?) FAs, and three security officers. The latest passenger count is 56.

It's claimed that EgyptAir generally puts security officers on board, where three is more than normal, but this could be random in the absence of any specific threats. Three is considered a large number by an "expert" for a routine flight. The typical case is said to consist of a team of two.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 18, 2016 at 11:33 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 10:28 pm

avherald map & flight trajectory based on Mode-S transponder signals

Gotta love Simon and all of his contacts for getting the various types of information so quickly.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4987fb09&opt=0
Old May 18, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
How are you getting there? I flew AF from CDG when I went last year. I felt perfectly safe in the country.
I'm taking MS from LHR to CAI next month and I'm not feeling to thrilled by that prospect. Sigh.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
EgyptAir in from Athens and EgyptAir out to LHR. I think I'm less concerned about once in the country - I expect some harassment in general but not expecting anything violent. Probably more concerned about ground safety during the Istanbul portion of my trip.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:35 pm

This is so unfortunate.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Very unfortunate, my thoughts are with the passenger and crew member's families.

Just a note of clarification, there seemed to be some confusion among sources on the aircraft, it is indeed an Airbus A320, SU-GCC delivered to EgyptAir in 2003.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Geoffrey Thomas, editor in chief of AirlineRatings.com, says the flight's route was "quite benign, doesn't fly over any conflict zones."

"Nothing unusual about this flight, just unusual that it disappeared, which obviously is very worrying."

He added: "There’s a lot of conflicting information, this aircraft was some time from touchdown, hadn’t started its descent. There’s nothing very unusual other than it suddenly disappeared. It’s too early to speculate but it’s extremely unusual. It doesn’t appear to be a mechanical issue either."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.