Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

An EgyptAir Airbus A320, registration SU-GCC from Paris Charles de Gaulle (flight MS804 departing 18 May) to Cairo with 56 passengers, 2 flight crew, 5 cabin crew and 3 security personnel, lost contact over the Mediterranan Sea about 280km (151nm) from the Coast of Egypt at 02:30 local time (00:30 UTC) on 19 May 2016. Greece's Civil Aviation Authority reported radar contact with the aircraft was lost about 2 minutes after the aircraft was handed off from Greek to Egyptian Air Traffic Control.

At 12:30 CEST (10:30 UTC) 19 May 2016 France's President Hollande announced that the aircraft has crashed while flying over the Mediterranean Sea in Egyptian Airspace.

At 19:00 local time (17:00 UTC) 19 May 2016 EgyptAir posted on their Facebook page that wreckage of the missing aircraft was found near Karpathos Island. This was later denied by the head of the Greek air safety authority. EgyptAir's VP subsequently retracted the statement that debris of the aircraft had been found and said they were mistaken.

On the morning of 20 May 2016 The Egyptian Armed Forces informed EgyptAir that they have found first debris from the missing aircraft operating flight MS804 around 295 KM from the Egyptian coastline.
On 20 May 2016 The Aviation Herald published ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System) messages which suggested there was smoke in a lavatory followed by smoke in the avionics bay.

On 22 May 2016 Egypt's President confirmed that the Petroleum Ministry has provided a submarine that could reach 3,000 meters under water in an attempt to retrieve the two black boxes.

On 23 May 2016 the French BEA and Egypt's Civil Aviation Authority, in response to media reports of an emergency call on Egypt's frequency, stated that no such communication has been received on any frequency.

On 1st Jun 2016 Egypt's Civil Aviation Authority reported that the French vessel "Laplace" has located pings presumed to originate from one of two black boxes. The French BEA confirmed that Egyptian Authorities have confirmed a "signal that may come from one of the recorders" of flight MS-804.

On 16 Jun 2016 the vessel "John Lethbridge" managed to retrieve the cockpit voice recorder in several stages as the CVR had been damaged.

On 17 June 2016 the vessel "John Lethbridge" managed to recover the memory module of the second black box, the flight data recorder.

List of nationalities of passengers on Board:

30 Egyptian
15 French
2 Iraqi
1 British (dual nationality with Australia as confirmed by AU government)
1 Belgian
1 Kuwaiti
1 Saudi
1 Sudanese
1 Chadian
1 Portuguese
1 Algerian
1 Canadian

+ 10 crew of unknown nationality.

Useful, reliable links:
Aviation Herald (Avherald) article on MS804
BBC article on MS804

MODERATOR NOTE

If you are posting media reports please summarize or quote a sentence or two and link to the source whenever possible.

When discussing this tragedy please bear in mind that these matters are always personal and should be treated with respect. Family members and other affected parties may be following this thread.

Moderation of this thread will be strictly "to rules". Moreover, because of how quickly this thread is moving, it is simply not possible to contact each individual poster whose post may be deleted or edited. We ask for your patience and understanding, and thank you for your cooperation.

For those who are eligible there is a thread in OMNI/PR if anyone wishes to speculate possible links with any terrorist group or discuss politics.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...s-missing.html

Moderator team for this thread: obscure2k, armagebedar, NewbieRunner

About FlyerTalk

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).
If you have an issue with a post, please contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
Print Wikipost

EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Somebody smoking in the toilet perhaps, then chucking the butt in the waste bin with a resultant bin fire. Could have happened earlier and been smoldering for a while.
from the evidence so far that looks the most likely scenario
Old May 21, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: LH M+M
Pictures of recovered wreckage clearly pointing to an Egyptair bird:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post9383632
Old May 21, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It won't be the first time that's brought down a plane though. I am aware of other examples of this but am not sure which or where. One in Brazil a number of years back perhaps?
Old May 21, 2016, 6:37 am

Somebody smoking in the toilet perhaps, then chucking the butt in the waste bin with a resultant bin fire. Could have happened earlier and been smoldering for a while.
I don't think it's a simple fire. Look at Swissair 111 - 21 minutes from the crew smelling smoke to impacting the water.

This is either an accelerated fire/explosion or the smoke detector reading is spurious perhaps generated by system failure.

Last edited by bioblot; May 21, 2016 at 6:58 am
Old May 21, 2016, 6:55 am

Toilet bins have fire extinguishing bottles. So no, not smoking i'd say
Old May 21, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm surprised lithium ion battery fire hasn't been mentioned anywhere (at least on here that I see).

That would be consistent with an accelerated fire and given the event a few weeks back on the Alaska Airlines flight where an iPhone randomly burst into flames it's not an implausible scenario.

For all the effort focused on lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold the number of lithium ion batteries carried by passengers in their electronics is overlooked.

Quote from AS incident:

"All of the sudden there was like 8-inch flames coming out of my phone," Crail told KOMO-TV. "And I flipped it off onto the ground and it got under someone's seat, and the flames were just getting higher and a bunch of people stood up."

The Alaska Air spokesman told ABC News, "The fire was quickly extinguished by our flight attendants, who are trained for situations like these."
It's easy to see how that could get out of hand quickly if the flames jumped to something else before FAs could put it out.

Last edited by Duke787; May 21, 2016 at 7:29 am
Old May 21, 2016, 7:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Images of recovered debris and video on Egyptian Armed Forces' website.

http://www.mod.gov.eg/mod/AlbDetails.aspx?id=14721

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 21, 2016 at 10:23 am
Old May 21, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm surprised lithium ion battery fire hasn't been mentioned anywhere (at least on here that I see).

That would be consistent with an accelerated fire and given the event a few weeks back on the Alaska Airlines flight where an iPhone randomly burst into flames it's not an implausible scenario.

For all the effort focused on lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold the number of lithium ion batteries carried by passengers in their electronics is overlooked.

Quote from AS incident:

It's easy to see how that could get out of hand quickly if the flames jumped to something else before FAs could put it out.
Many people carry very high capacity Li-ion batteries now too, especially on longer flights. Some of the largest ones are equivalent to 10-20x larger than a phone battery. Though laptops still tend to have the largest batteries (though not always true), an off-brand powerbank is much more likely to fail catastrophically. I also read somewhere that there is oxygen lines, or something like that, that run near the lavoratory. If you have ever messed with pure oxygen, it can make things that are rather docile turn into raging infernos FAST! You can melt through a 0.5cm 1/4" thick piece of steel using a cigarette dipped in liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is a very dangerous side hazard of my job and not one you take lightly.

Having lost a cousin due to an onboard fire in a small airplane (he was the pilot, his last radio transmission was smoke in the cockpit before it crashed), the idea is quite scary.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:02 am

Also on the BBC live site (which has ceased for tonight) along with an interesting interview with a BA pilot.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-36328976
None other than the captain of BA9 (LHR-AKL, 1982) that flew through volcanic ash resulting in 4 failed engines on a 747.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Originally Posted by vbroucek
That flight was serviced by A320 (SU-GCB). So no, it is not the same bird...
Thank you vbrucek in Tasmania. It appears it was definitely a "sister aircraft"! Happy Fall in "Down Under."
Old May 21, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8
Many people carry very high capacity Li-ion batteries now too, especially on longer flights. Some of the largest ones are equivalent to 10-20x larger than a phone battery. Though laptops still tend to have the largest batteries (though not always true), an off-brand powerbank is much more likely to fail catastrophically. I also read somewhere that there is oxygen lines, or something like that, that run near the lavoratory. If you have ever messed with pure oxygen, it can make things that are rather docile turn into raging infernos FAST! You can melt through a 0.5cm 1/4" thick piece of steel using a cigarette dipped in liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is a very dangerous side hazard of my job and not one you take lightly.

Having lost a cousin due to an onboard fire in a small airplane (he was the pilot, his last radio transmission was smoke in the cockpit before it crashed), the idea is quite scary.
I really hope it's not that.
If I'm being honest, the idea of people having cheap powerbanks on planes is probably the scariest aspect of flying (for me)
Old May 21, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Images of recovered debris and video on Egyptian Armed Forces' website.

http://www.mod.gov.eg/mod/AlbDetails.aspx?id=14721
None of debris has any signs of being on fire....
Old May 21, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Duke787
BBC have a side-story on that: Fires are a growing problem for airlines

Couple of snippets:

One estimate says that an airliner carrying 100 people could have 500 lithium batteries in the cabin, in cameras, laptops, tablet computers, phones, e-readers, etc.
He says crushed batteries are increasingly problematic. "Maybe someone falls asleep. Their tablet computer or phone slips down the side of the chair. They move the seat and accidentally crush the battery."

Potentially, that could start a fire.
...there are the "grey market" batteries and chargers some people buy on the cheap. They may well not have been safety tested at all
Sobering stuff!
Old May 22, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Yahoo just posted the black boxes have been "located" (originally wrote recovered, sorry folks).

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/521-bl...h-for-closure/

Screen grab of headline.
Attached Images  

Last edited by popoemt; May 22, 2016 at 4:17 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old May 22, 2016, 11:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by popoemt
Yahoo just posted the black boxes have been recovered.
Thank you for posting. The CBS News item was posted at May 21, 2016, 6:30PM (EDT?) which is some 19 hours ago. I am surprised no other news source has picked this up if it were true.

The Daily Mail in the UK also posted yesterday the following headline "Experts say flight data 'points towards a bomb' as first pictures emerge of MS804's wreckage and search teams 'discover black box'". This report has not been followed up either.

By all accounts a search is still continuing for the black boxes.
Egypt sends robot submarine to help plane crash search (Reuters)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.