FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1766830-egyptair-ms-804-5-19-16-paris-cairo-missing.html)

indiekiduk May 21, 2016 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 26659011)
Somebody smoking in the toilet perhaps, then chucking the butt in the waste bin with a resultant bin fire. Could have happened earlier and been smoldering for a while.

from the evidence so far that looks the most likely scenario

PAX_fips May 21, 2016 4:27 am

Pictures of recovered wreckage clearly pointing to an Egyptair bird:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post9383632

Concerto May 21, 2016 4:38 am

It won't be the first time that's brought down a plane though. I am aware of other examples of this but am not sure which or where. One in Brazil a number of years back perhaps?

bioblot May 21, 2016 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 26659011)
Somebody smoking in the toilet perhaps, then chucking the butt in the waste bin with a resultant bin fire. Could have happened earlier and been smoldering for a while.

I don't think it's a simple fire. Look at Swissair 111 - 21 minutes from the crew smelling smoke to impacting the water.

This is either an accelerated fire/explosion or the smoke detector reading is spurious perhaps generated by system failure.

Sigwx May 21, 2016 6:55 am

Toilet bins have fire extinguishing bottles. So no, not smoking i'd say

Duke787 May 21, 2016 7:24 am

I'm surprised lithium ion battery fire hasn't been mentioned anywhere (at least on here that I see).

That would be consistent with an accelerated fire and given the event a few weeks back on the Alaska Airlines flight where an iPhone randomly burst into flames it's not an implausible scenario.

For all the effort focused on lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold the number of lithium ion batteries carried by passengers in their electronics is overlooked.

Quote from AS incident:

"All of the sudden there was like 8-inch flames coming out of my phone," Crail told KOMO-TV. "And I flipped it off onto the ground and it got under someone's seat, and the flames were just getting higher and a bunch of people stood up."

The Alaska Air spokesman told ABC News, "The fire was quickly extinguished by our flight attendants, who are trained for situations like these."
It's easy to see how that could get out of hand quickly if the flames jumped to something else before FAs could put it out.

NewbieRunner May 21, 2016 7:28 am

Images of recovered debris and video on Egyptian Armed Forces' website.

http://www.mod.gov.eg/mod/AlbDetails.aspx?id=14721

PedroDaGr8 May 21, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 26659988)
I'm surprised lithium ion battery fire hasn't been mentioned anywhere (at least on here that I see).

That would be consistent with an accelerated fire and given the event a few weeks back on the Alaska Airlines flight where an iPhone randomly burst into flames it's not an implausible scenario.

For all the effort focused on lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold the number of lithium ion batteries carried by passengers in their electronics is overlooked.

Quote from AS incident:

It's easy to see how that could get out of hand quickly if the flames jumped to something else before FAs could put it out.

Many people carry very high capacity Li-ion batteries now too, especially on longer flights. Some of the largest ones are equivalent to 10-20x larger than a phone battery. Though laptops still tend to have the largest batteries (though not always true), an off-brand powerbank is much more likely to fail catastrophically. I also read somewhere that there is oxygen lines, or something like that, that run near the lavoratory. If you have ever messed with pure oxygen, it can make things that are rather docile turn into raging infernos FAST! You can melt through a 0.5cm 1/4" thick piece of steel using a cigarette dipped in liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is a very dangerous side hazard of my job and not one you take lightly.

Having lost a cousin due to an onboard fire in a small airplane (he was the pilot, his last radio transmission was smoke in the cockpit before it crashed), the idea is quite scary.

switch007 May 21, 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 26656959)
Also on the BBC live site (which has ceased for tonight) along with an interesting interview with a BA pilot.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-36328976

None other than the captain of BA9 (LHR-AKL, 1982) that flew through volcanic ash resulting in 4 failed engines on a 747. :eek:

Menko May 21, 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 26659119)
That flight was serviced by A320 (SU-GCB). So no, it is not the same bird...

Thank you vbrucek in Tasmania. It appears it was definitely a "sister aircraft"! Happy Fall in "Down Under."

chris19992 May 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 (Post 26660116)
Many people carry very high capacity Li-ion batteries now too, especially on longer flights. Some of the largest ones are equivalent to 10-20x larger than a phone battery. Though laptops still tend to have the largest batteries (though not always true), an off-brand powerbank is much more likely to fail catastrophically. I also read somewhere that there is oxygen lines, or something like that, that run near the lavoratory. If you have ever messed with pure oxygen, it can make things that are rather docile turn into raging infernos FAST! You can melt through a 0.5cm 1/4" thick piece of steel using a cigarette dipped in liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is a very dangerous side hazard of my job and not one you take lightly.

Having lost a cousin due to an onboard fire in a small airplane (he was the pilot, his last radio transmission was smoke in the cockpit before it crashed), the idea is quite scary.

I really hope it's not that.
If I'm being honest, the idea of people having cheap powerbanks on planes is probably the scariest aspect of flying (for me)

userasc May 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 26659997)
Images of recovered debris and video on Egyptian Armed Forces' website.

http://www.mod.gov.eg/mod/AlbDetails.aspx?id=14721

None of debris has any signs of being on fire....

EsherFlyer May 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 26659988)

BBC have a side-story on that: Fires are a growing problem for airlines

Couple of snippets:

One estimate says that an airliner carrying 100 people could have 500 lithium batteries in the cabin, in cameras, laptops, tablet computers, phones, e-readers, etc.

He says crushed batteries are increasingly problematic. "Maybe someone falls asleep. Their tablet computer or phone slips down the side of the chair. They move the seat and accidentally crush the battery."

Potentially, that could start a fire.

...there are the "grey market" batteries and chargers some people buy on the cheap. They may well not have been safety tested at all
Sobering stuff!

popoemt May 22, 2016 11:00 am

2 Attachment(s)
Yahoo just posted the black boxes have been "located" (originally wrote recovered, sorry folks).

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/521-bl...h-for-closure/

Screen grab of headline.

NewbieRunner May 22, 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by popoemt (Post 26664630)
Yahoo just posted the black boxes have been recovered.

Thank you for posting. The CBS News item was posted at May 21, 2016, 6:30PM (EDT?) which is some 19 hours ago. I am surprised no other news source has picked this up if it were true.

The Daily Mail in the UK also posted yesterday the following headline "Experts say flight data 'points towards a bomb' as first pictures emerge of MS804's wreckage and search teams 'discover black box'". This report has not been followed up either.

By all accounts a search is still continuing for the black boxes.
Egypt sends robot submarine to help plane crash search (Reuters)