Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any odor issues on ET checked luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond

Hi all.

I took my first ever ET flight about a week ago to CAN and when I got my bag off the carousel I noticed it reeked of spices/stale urine/fish/all other distasteful smells. My bag wasn't the only one as many people commented on the smell of their bags. It stunk up my hotel room so bad that I had to empty it, throw it away and buy a new suitcase.

Has anyone else had an experience like this on ET before? Is it something I should just learn to accept if I choose to keep flying them? Should I attempt to seek compensation for the new bag?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure whether odor counts as damage to a checked bag, but I would have tried to report the issue by returning to the airport with the bag rather than just throwing away the evidence.

It sounds like there might have been someone else's bag that smelled of urine and spices loaded onto your flight, probably in the same container (if ET uses containers on your aircraft type), and it transferred to smell to nearby bags. ET obviously should never accept a bag that stinks for checked luggage, not allow it on board as carry on.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think just a stinky bag in the proximity would wear off pretty quickly, this sounds more like someone had some type of disagreeable smelling liquid that has leaked out and gotten on other people's bags.

Personally though I would have just went home and washed my suitcase with a white vinegar mix solution and left it to dry a few days. My luggage is far too expensive just to toss out to the curb for something that is correctable.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

You wouldn't have been able to get near that bag without a gas mask. Couple that with the fact that I'm still staying at a hotel for another week till I get home, there is no chance that I'd be able to wash it. It's simply a lesson for me to use very cheap luggage flying with ET.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by EK788
I took my first ever ET flight about a week ago to CAN
Wednesday last week perhaps? There was a huge storm in Addis that flooded the baggage area briefly so a bunch of luggage wound up in sewage for a while. I have a bag that also smells similar.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Yes it indeed was Wednesday. Glad to know this isn't going to be a regular thing.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Wednesday last week perhaps? There was a huge storm in Addis that flooded the baggage area briefly so a bunch of luggage wound up in sewage for a while. I have a bag that also smells similar.
I had the same one day earlier on Tuesday 12.4., I thought it was urine, or would not have been surprised if it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.