FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1758525-ethiopian-new-online-upgrade-auction.html)

Kenji Jun 18, 2018 2:21 am

can you open the plusgrade page? don't forget to tick the accept box
codeshares and mix tickets with other airlines don't work
you can email the the ticket and they send you a link.
[email protected]

Rookie2014 Jul 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Does anybody know what booking class is used for mileage accruals after an accepted bid on plusgrade from Y -> C?

Rookie2014 Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kenji (Post 29877732)
Booked a oneway flight MBA-ADD-FRA in semi flexible H-class
my upgrade offers are (minimum bid):
MBA-ADD 125 EUR
ADD-FRA 435 EUR

is it worth paying the 435 EUR for a 7.5 h red eye flight?
any experiences?

Did you do the upgrade? I will be on the same route and wonder whether I will gamble for the upgrade or not. IF you did, what price has been accepted or declined?

b_magee Jul 12, 2018 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Rookie2014 (Post 29964040)
Does anybody know what booking class is used for mileage accruals after an accepted bid on plusgrade from Y -> C?

You will accrue miles based on your original booking class

TravelinSperry Jul 14, 2018 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Rookie2014 (Post 29964044)
Did you do the upgrade? I will be on the same route and wonder whether I will gamble for the upgrade or not. IF you did, what price has been accepted or declined?

I was accepted (although you'll have to scroll back through this thread to see when). I believe I paid 10 over the bare minimum allowed due to others advice - and got it. I recently just did the upgrade auction on Air Niugini as well and put in for the bare minimum. From what I read here - seems to be the way to go (unless you really need/want biz)

Rookie2014 Jul 14, 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by b_magee (Post 29965069)
You will accrue miles based on your original booking class

Are you 100% Sure on this?
E.g. on LH an accepted biding upgrade is changing the booking class and therefore mileage accrual.

Rookie2014 Jul 14, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 29972233)
I was accepted (although you'll have to scroll back through this thread to see when). I believe I paid 10 over the bare minimum allowed due to others advice - and got it. I recently just did the upgrade auction on Air Niugini as well and put in for the bare minimum. From what I read here - seems to be the way to go (unless you really need/want biz)

Thank you,
most likely that will be my bidding strategy as well. My major concern is what particular plane it will be as ET is changing until last second and you never know what you get then.
How did it turn out for you, what model has it been?
Have you been satisfied with the product?

B747-437B Jul 14, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Rookie2014 (Post 29972778)
Are you 100% Sure on this?
E.g. on LH an accepted biding upgrade is changing the booking class and therefore mileage accrual.

100% certain. The booking is changed to "C" class but the mileage accrual is as per the original booking class.

TravelinSperry Jul 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 29973378)
100% certain. The booking is changed to "C" class but the mileage accrual is as per the original booking class.

Originally Posted by Rookie2014 (Post 29972786)

Agreed, when I was upgraded I earned miles on original booking class.

Thank you,
most likely that will be my bidding strategy as well. My major concern is what particular plane it will be as ET is changing until last second and you never know what you get then.
How did it turn out for you, what model has it been?
Have you been satisfied with the product?

For the money, I was satisfied. It's been a few years so I don't recall the hard product exactly - but I do remember feeling satisfied with paying the lowest price for the upgrade - so much so, that I recently bid again for another airline (although their hard product may differ obviously). Personally I don't really care if I get these upgrades or not... at the minimum price it's worth it - any higher and I'd deal with economy.

Kenji Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm

the booking class remain the same, so you can earn mileage

Kenji Jul 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 29973378)

you can always request original routing credit or booking class credit (not upgrade class) manually

Kenji Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie2014 (Post 29964044)

i did the long haul bid for 430 EUR now. the flight is next winter, so we will see... if ur flight is earlier, please post ur experience here or PM me

uptoolate Jul 29, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks to forum members for the information. I upgraded the ADD-YYZ portion of a recent trip to/from Malawi. Was a 16 hour trip including the 1 hour fueling stop in Dublin. It was a 787 so the seats are not true lay flat pods but close. Still not sure whether the USD825 was worth it for me as 787 (and 777) legroom in economy is quite good and my goal is always to be asleep. The minimum bid was USD820. Two other colleagues also traveled in business with one having upgraded. 14 of the 24 business class seats were occupied. We had a 4.5 hour layover in ADD so with Cloud Nine lounge access I guess it might be worth it. Interestingly, this lounge was empty when we arrived at 1900h and standing room only by the time we left at 2220h. And it is quite a large lounge. On this route, it isn't worth it to me to book the entire trip as business class. On the 737s that ET flies from ADD it doesn't make a difference to me and even the non-stop YYZ-ADD which is 13 hours it probably isn't worth it so the ability to upgrade one leg is useful.

b_magee Jul 29, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by uptoolate (Post 30024933)
Thanks to forum members for the information. I upgraded the ADD-YYZ portion of a recent trip to/from Malawi. Was a 16 hour trip including the 1 hour fueling stop in Dublin. It was a 787 so the seats are not true lay flat pods but close. Still not sure whether the USD825 was worth it for me as 787 (and 777) legroom in economy is quite good and my goal is always to be asleep. The minimum bid was USD820. Two other colleagues also traveled in business with one having upgraded. 14 of the 24 business class seats were occupied. We had a 4.5 hour layover in ADD so with Cloud Nine lounge access I guess it might be worth it. Interestingly, this lounge was empty when we arrived at 1900h and standing room only by the time we left at 2220h. And it is quite a large lounge. On this route, it isn't worth it to me to book the entire trip as business class. On the 737s that ET flies from ADD it doesn't make a difference to me and even the non-stop YYZ-ADD which is 13 hours it probably isn't worth it so the ability to upgrade one leg is useful.

Since the change to the ET876 route (it used to stop in BLZ and arrive in ADD later), the new timing means arriving in ADD just before the evening arrivals rush begins - Means it's great for getting lounge access (or even getting a coveted table at one of the cafe spots if you don't have lounge access and are looking to camp out somewhere for a while).

It's definitely nice to have the option to upgrade the specific segments. However, if you fly this route often and have some lead time in booking, you can sometimes get a great deal on the restricted "P" business class fares. I've seen round-trip YYZ-LLW in business with the P-class fare for around $2000 USD, which is a steal when compared to the standard $1400-$1600 USD for economy.

uptoolate Jul 29, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks for the tip. Yes it is nice not having the extra stop in BLZ. Unfortunately I don't often have huge lead time when booking but if I do I will definitely keep that in mind. I just got back from Malawi last Sunday and am now being asked to go to Tabora, Tanzania on August 18 so that is the kind of lead time I am usually dealing with unfortunately. Have been to Malawi four times in last 9 months but always less than a month's notice. :(

I have been thinking about getting the new corporate AMEX Platinum for lounge access but am still investigating. Thanks again.