Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection on Ethiopian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Worked fine for me this morning, but I've had this issue before. Use the App if you can't get into the website, but keep in mind the app blocks more seats than the website does for *G.
Thanks, but I'm also wondering if the app has an issue. Look at this screenshot. The seat letters seem inverted, when compared to the seat row numbers..?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
Thanks, but I'm also wondering if the app has an issue. Look at this screenshot. The seat letters seem inverted, when compared to the seat row numbers..?
Yes, the graphical representation in the app is inverted! It's been like that for months. So look carefully when selecting the seats.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by vytas315
What do you mean by this? Seats are blocked such that you can't select them or seats being blocked next to you once you make a selection? I've heard of neighboring seats getting blocked for *G but don't really know when/how this happens.
Some seats that are selectable through the website (exit / bulkhead) are not selectable via the app.

Once you OLCI, you will notice the seat next to you blocked if you are *G. They used to apply the blocks at initial ASR, but it was causing problems when two *G travelled together on the same PNR - the system was splitting the passengers up to accomodate the seat block.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:10 am

Yes, the graphical representation in the app is inverted! It's been like that for months. So look carefully when selecting the seats.
I see. But say if I want a window seat on the left side (when facing direction of travel, normally called A), am I now supposed to choose A, or L like the app suggests? Do the seat assignments eventually "convert" into the correct seat number?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Some seats that are selectable through the website (exit / bulkhead) are not selectable via the app.

Once you OLCI, you will notice the seat next to you blocked if you are *G. They used to apply the blocks at initial ASR, but it was causing problems when two *G travelled together on the same PNR - the system was splitting the passengers up to accomodate the seat block.
So what happens if I select a middle seat (in a group of three) as *G? Will both sides be blocked?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:00 pm

I see. But say if I want a window seat on the left side (when facing direction of travel, normally called A), am I now supposed to choose A, or L like the app suggests? Do the seat assignments eventually "convert" into the correct seat number?
Ignore the graphics. The actual seat selected (viz. "A" means "A") will prevail.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

So what happens if I select a middle seat (in a group of three) as *G? Will both sides be blocked?
Haha, no. The nearest aisle seat will be blocked.

"B" will block "C".
"F" will block "D"
"G" will block "H"
"K" will block "J"
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:01 am

Thanks!

Final question for now: What would be the best strategy for when I have a booking with two pax (one *G, one without status) in order to score a 3-seater?
(787/A350 in Y)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:14 am

Final question for now: What would be the best strategy for when I have a booking with two pax (one *G, one without status) in order to score a 3-seater?
(787/A350 in Y)
Put the non-status pax in the window and yourself in the aisle. That will block the middle seat due to your status.

I do this all the time when traveling with my wife (although we are both *G) and we wind up with an empty middle seat at least 75% of the time if the flight is not totally full.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:17 am

Haha, no. The nearest aisle seat will be blocked.

"B" will block "C".
"F" will block "D"
"G" will block "H"
"K" will block "J"
Great advice, thank you. How's the case in a twin seat (i.e. 767s or back rows on 777s), if you know?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Great advice, thank you. How's the case in a twin seat (i.e. 767s or back rows on 777s), if you know?
That's the annoying part when two *G travel together. You can't select the twin seaters because the system will auto-block the second seat if you select one of them.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:32 am

That's the annoying part when two *G travel together. You can't select the twin seaters because the system will auto-block the second seat if you select one of them.
Sorry I was referring to when traveling alone as a *G holder. Looks like though, at the time of reservation they don't block the neighbor seat (either in case of 3 or 2 seaters), but only during online check-in. I usually ticket though Amadeus GDS and not through ET itself, and when I try to make a dummy new reservation for the same itinerary just for the sake of checking whether the neighbor seats are blocked or not, I see these seats are open to new assigning. In fact, one of them was already taken up hence now I need to look up for another seat. May be if I book directly through ET website the situation might be different.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:24 am

Sorry I was referring to when traveling alone as a *G holder. Looks like though, at the time of reservation they don't block the neighbor seat (either in case of 3 or 2 seaters), but only during online check-in. I usually ticket though Amadeus GDS and not through ET itself, and when I try to make a dummy new reservation for the same itinerary just for the sake of checking whether the neighbor seats are blocked or not, I see these seats are open to new assigning. In fact, one of them was already taken up hence now I need to look up for another seat. May be if I book directly through ET website the situation might be different.
Correct - the seat blocking takes place at DCS level, not CRS level so you won't see the blocks until OLCI opens. The only exception I've seen is if you are making a return trip with less than 72 hours at destination, then the seat blocks for the return sometimes show up after you check in for the outbound trip. I guess it may have to do if the initial PNL has been generated or not. Also, the seat blocks don't always show if you check-in using the mobile site versus the desktop site, but even if they don't show up on the mobile site they are actually blocked in the DCS.

Keep in mind that once check-in reaches around 70-80% on a full flight, the duty controller will usually release all seat blocks anyway so the chances of getting a 2-seater to yourself on anything but a really empty flight is not very good as the released seat will be "desirable" since it is a window/aisle. The block is more useful to secure an empty middle seat in a 3 or 4 section.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:47 am

Correct - the seat blocking takes place at DCS level, not CRS level so you won't see the blocks until OLCI opens. The only exception I've seen is if you are making a return trip with less than 72 hours at destination, then the seat blocks for the return sometimes show up after you check in for the outbound trip. I guess it may have to do if the initial PNL has been generated or not. Also, the seat blocks don't always show if you check-in using the mobile site versus the desktop site, but even if they don't show up on the mobile site they are actually blocked in the DCS.

Keep in mind that once check-in reaches around 70-80% on a full flight, the duty controller will usually release all seat blocks anyway so the chances of getting a 2-seater to yourself on anything but a really empty flight is not very good as the released seat will be "desirable" since it is a window/aisle. The block is more useful to secure an empty middle seat in a 3 or 4 section.
What a very detailed answer, thank you so much! I feel like I've been corresponding with a super efficient ET rep. (or may be you are?!).

I'm going to block a seat in rear part of the plane now. Once again really appreciated.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:23 am

What a very detailed answer, thank you so much! I feel like I've been corresponding with a super efficient ET rep. (or may be you are?!).
Haha, I've just picked up a lot of these quirks from many many hours flying around on ET. These small perks for *G are one of the only things that make flying through Addis tolerable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.