Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection on Ethiopian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:56 pm

Additional data point on *G seat blocking. Thought I had a stalker chasing me! =)

at check-in was changing my seat and noticed every time I moved my seat, the one next to it was blocked. Assumed it was a stalker or a technical glitch of the site. I'll know tomorrow whether the block holds.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Originally Posted by DBCme
Additional data point on *G seat blocking. Thought I had a stalker chasing me! =)

at check-in was changing my seat and noticed every time I moved my seat, the one next to it was blocked. Assumed it was a stalker or a technical glitch of the site. I'll know tomorrow whether the block holds.
Please do update. Would be handy to have the middle seat empty on a row of 3. I usually travel with another *G so would more or less secure the middle seat to be vacant.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by DBCme
I'll know tomorrow whether the block holds.
The block will hold unless all the other unblocked seats fill up, then all blocks will be released together and it will be fair game.

Note that the block is only for *G in Economy. In Cloud Nine, you can still get the seat beside you assigned even on an empty flight.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:01 pm

I am travelling on 20th January 2017 from Luanda to ethiopia to mumbai. I would like book my seat. kindly help me to select aisle seat
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
FWIW, I tried phoning ET to do seat selection (UA award bookings made in April 2017) using Skype from Oz. The USA, UK and Ethiopian phone numbers shown on the ET web site failed to connect. But the South African ET number (+27 xxxxx) worked perfectly. The process was fast and professional. All that ET wanted was the PNR and requested seats. The operator waited a few seconds and replied when she had a confirmation.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:13 am

In April 2017 I flew ADD-CPT/JNB-ADD-BOM in economy and all my neighbor (middle) seat was blocked - even with Turkish Silver status! When I tried to on-line check in, the system blocked two seats automatically even though I just needed one. Very interesting!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
In April 2017 I flew ADD-CPT/JNB-ADD-BOM in economy and all my neighbor (middle) seat was blocked - even with Turkish Silver status! When I tried to on-line check in, the system blocked two seats automatically even though I just needed one. Very interesting!
As TK gold they mentioned once that they had blocked the seat next to me. Not sure if this is standard/automatic or if station managers will do this manually when they have the energy.

Another question I haven't seen answered: what's the best strategy for snagging exit rows with ET? I've had some luck asking when I check-in at the airport. Can you call or email even earlier?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vytas315
Another question I haven't seen answered: what's the best strategy for snagging exit rows with ET? I've had some luck asking when I check-in at the airport. Can you call or email even earlier?
Officially, the exit rows are only available at check-in. In practice, I find that by calling and simply asking for the exit row seats by name and not mentioning that they're exit seats, i.e. "18A", not "exit row seat 18A", I am given them 90% of the time. If it doesn't work, I'll mention that I am Star Gold, and that usually works. If not, hanging up and calling again usually does the trick. Certain call centres seem better than others at this.

Note that ET's website erroneously identifies the exit rows on the 738s as being rows 16 and 17, as opposed to rows 17 (exit row but no recline) and 18 as they are in fact. Therefore, you can snag seats in row 18 online with no problems.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:20 pm

Thanks @W126Pilot!

I'm usually on the NBO>ADD>IAD route and on the short leg they appear to constantly swap out equipment so I won't even bother. Even their internal map for the 738 is indeed wrong. Once at checkin they put me in an exit row on the short hop trying to be helpful and I ended up being in a non-reclining seat in front of the exit row...

But for the long 777 leg this will be a big help! I likewise was under the impression that it was check-in only. Then on one trip the guy next to me said he booked this flight specifically because it still had exit row availability...go figure! I'll try giving a call for a next flight!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I called ET today to get seat assignments on the long haul segments of 2 award tickets to JRO booked with UA miles. They could not get me seats on the ORD-ADD segment going over, but could on ADD-JRO. They were also able to make seat reservations for JRO-Add and ADD-IAD on the return flights. ET told me to call them when it is closer to the flights, which is late August. For such a long flight ORD-ADD it would be nice to sit next to my husband. Are they likely going to accommodate us or will we get assigned at the gate and be separated?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:27 am

I called ET today to get seat assignments on the long haul segments of 2 award tickets to JRO booked with UA miles. They could not get me seats on the ORD-ADD segment going over, but could on ADD-JRO. They were also able to make seat reservations for JRO-Add and ADD-IAD on the return flights. ET told me to call them when it is closer to the flights, which is late August. For such a long flight ORD-ADD it would be nice to sit next to my husband. Are they likely going to accommodate us or will we get assigned at the gate and be separated?
Strange. I've always been able to select seats online and therefore sitting together wouldn't be an issue as most seats remain open up to the flight (I guess most people don't login online to select seats with ET). Have you tried using their website?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by vytas315
Strange. I've always been able to select seats online and therefore sitting together wouldn't be an issue as most seats remain open up to the flight (I guess most people don't login online to select seats with ET). Have you tried using their website?
The ORD-ADD route was only announced this week and opened for sale 3 days ago. Give it a few days to load the seat-map. ET has less than 20% ASR takeup rate, so getting seats assigned prior to OLCI window is never an issue.
vytas315 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Has anyone been able to select seats in the "Manage my booking" page recently? It just loads forever, no seat map appearing...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
Has anyone been able to select seats in the "Manage my booking" page recently? It just loads forever, no seat map appearing...
Worked fine for me this morning, but I've had this issue before. Use the App if you can't get into the website, but keep in mind the app blocks more seats than the website does for *G.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Worked fine for me this morning, but I've had this issue before. Use the App if you can't get into the website, but keep in mind the app blocks more seats than the website does for *G.
What do you mean by this? Seats are blocked such that you can't select them or seats being blocked next to you once you make a selection? I've heard of neighboring seats getting blocked for *G but don't really know when/how this happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.