Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection on Ethiopian Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
How do we get them to block a seat in economy for *G members? Selecting a seat on the internet doesn't auto block anything. Thanks.

Originally Posted by B747-437B
The seat block only applies for Economy Class, not for Cloud Nine in my experience.

The window seats in the "new" flat bed config can be pretty badly boxed in if the aisle seat is fully reclined. It is worse on the 788 than the 350 as the seat pairs are more angled towards the outside due to the narrower fuselage. It is ok in an upright config, but can still be a bit of an issue if the tray table is deployed.

On the bright side though, you are very unlikely to get the flat bed config on ORD-ADD - only 3 (out of 19 total) airframes with that config are likely to operate on that route (ET-ASG/ASH/ASI) so only 16% likelihood of getting one of those. The ET-AT* aircraft with the flat beds will not be deployed to the Americas except in special circumstances and with very low loads. You will almost certainly get one of the first generation ET-AO*/AR* aircraft which have the 160-degree flat seats rather than the flat beds. Those are IMHO more comfortable anyway and much easier to get in and out of.

Cloud Nine cabin (new config) on Boeing 787-8 (ET-ATK)
Old May 15, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by sushimaru
They don't block until about 72hrs prior to departure. That too only if the flight isn't full.
Before the 72 hour window, the two seats next to me were occupied. Once the 72 hour window started, I saw that the seat next to me got blocked. However, I changed seats on Ethiopian's website and it's still kept the block on the old seat and not the new seat. Any idea on how I can get the seat next to me blocked?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by imanf
Before the 72 hour window, the two seats next to me were occupied. Once the 72 hour window started, I saw that the seat next to me got blocked. However, I changed seats on Ethiopian's website and it's still kept the block on the old seat and not the new seat. Any idea on how I can get the seat next to me blocked?
Seat changes once the flight is under airport control need to be done at DCS level and not CRS level. In simple terms, that means any changes you make on the website will not reflect in the actual seat assignment being changed in the check-in system. You need to make any changes in the check-in system (DCS) to actually get a new seat assigned and when you do that, you'll see the block move with you (presuming the flight is not totally full).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UNDP
flight to Accra and Banjul

please reserve my seat on flight ET 921 Sunday 15 July to Ghana Accra and KP 022 ASKY from Accra to Banjul on 15 july

my request is aisle, upfront of the aircraft
thank you.
kind regards
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I had no problems in selecting my seats!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
ET's system switched my seats

I was checking using Expert Flyer as the ET site/app is useless (can pull my booking details but can't see the seat map) and I saw that I was moved from 2A to 2C for ET511. Ditto for my connecting flight to JNB (An A to C seat).

It would seem there are still a few unsold J seats. Are there 7 or more?

Does this mean anything? Maybe an aircraft swap from angle-flats to the fully flat seats?

I can, of course, email my local ET office to switch back, but just want to check with the ET experts first.

​​​​​​Thanks for any insight you can share!

Edit: added the EF fare categories below.
C7 J7 D0 P0 R0 Y7 G7 S7 B7 M7 K7 L7 V7 H4 U0 Q0 T0 E0 O0 N0
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
On my flights with ET over the last few years (in Eco) the seat next to me has always been soft blocked (due to my *G-status), but on my upcoming trip it seems this benefit is no longer working.... (I use Expertflyer to verify).

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I was checking using Expert Flyer as the ET site/app is useless (can pull my booking details but can't see the seat map) and I saw that I was moved from 2A to 2C for ET511. Ditto for my connecting flight to JNB (An A to C seat).

It would seem there are still a few unsold J seats. Are there 7 or more?

Does this mean anything? Maybe an aircraft swap from angle-flats to the fully flat seats?

I can, of course, email my local ET office to switch back, but just want to check with the ET experts first.

​​​​​​Thanks for any insight you can share!

Edit: added the EF fare categories below.
C7 J7 D0 P0 R0 Y7 G7 S7 B7 M7 K7 L7 V7 H4 U0 Q0 T0 E0 O0 N0
It has been seen before that ET officials in Addis move around passengers at their liking. They do this to accommodate family members or whoever they want to favour. Not sure this is what happened to you though, could be an equipment change?
Someone just moved me from 30C (Emergency exit aisle on 772) to 11A (bulkhead window) without change of aircraft. I strongly suspect that this is what just happened to me.
Some times they even try to downgrade passengers. It is especially bad on their flights to IAD. Actually, we should probably have a separate thread on this. I believe others must have experienced the same. I have also tried once with a family member that had done an upgrade with miles some hours before check in, they had already subtracted the miles to upgrade her. But at check in they refused to check her in as business class, saying there was no space. Only, the official at the local ET office kept saying "They have space, I can see it on the system". Eventually, she got the seat. But clearly there was someone more important to the ET agents that they wanted to give the seat to.

Likewise, I was on a flight ADD-IAD last month where I could see plenty of spaces in J (5-7 seats as far as I recall) were showing available on expertflyer when I was at the gate. I fly ET quite a bit, and never tried expertflyer wasnt updated with most recent information, even at the gate. Flight was delayed, so for sure, all people had been checked in already. I asked at the counter if I could do a paid upgrade to which he said "no, we have too many people on standby for upgrades". Very strange, given that flight was 1+ hour late and so many free seats showed up on ExpertFlyer. He even showed me a stash of boarding cards, assumingly on standby for upgrade. I guess these might be "non-rev" free upgrades?
Perhaps someone else can clarify on these issues?

Also, *G seat blocking is very often ignored on the same flights, even if they aren't full.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I don't know what happened, but the flight went out with less than 50% occupancy (I can't remember the exact number, unfortunately). Not only did I get my seat back, but the adjacent seat went out empty as well.

Originally Posted by Goaguy
It has been seen before that ET officials in Addis move around passengers at their liking. They do this to accommodate family members or whoever they want to favour. Not sure this is what happened to you though, could be an equipment change?
Someone just moved me from 30C (Emergency exit aisle on 772) to 11A (bulkhead window) without change of aircraft. I strongly suspect that this is what just happened to me.
Some times they even try to downgrade passengers. It is especially bad on their flights to IAD. Actually, we should probably have a separate thread on this. I believe others must have experienced the same. I have also tried once with a family member that had done an upgrade with miles some hours before check in, they had already subtracted the miles to upgrade her. But at check in they refused to check her in as business class, saying there was no space. Only, the official at the local ET office kept saying "They have space, I can see it on the system". Eventually, she got the seat. But clearly there was someone more important to the ET agents that they wanted to give the seat to.

Likewise, I was on a flight ADD-IAD last month where I could see plenty of spaces in J (5-7 seats as far as I recall) were showing available on expertflyer when I was at the gate. I fly ET quite a bit, and never tried expertflyer wasnt updated with most recent information, even at the gate. Flight was delayed, so for sure, all people had been checked in already. I asked at the counter if I could do a paid upgrade to which he said "no, we have too many people on standby for upgrades". Very strange, given that flight was 1+ hour late and so many free seats showed up on ExpertFlyer. He even showed me a stash of boarding cards, assumingly on standby for upgrade. I guess these might be "non-rev" free upgrades?
Perhaps someone else can clarify on these issues?

Also, *G seat blocking is very often ignored on the same flights, even if they aren't full.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Are exit rows still only available with calling in? Have a flight coming up with 3 *G, would love to get an exit row for us, but they show as occupied on the website, not sure if that's just because they block them still or not.

Alternatively, with *G blocking happening only 72 hours, would it make sense to move our seats around to get an empty middle before or after that?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Are exit rows still only available with calling in? Have a flight coming up with 3 *G, would love to get an exit row for us, but they show as occupied on the website, not sure if that's just because they block them still or not.
I've never tried choosing seats online, therefore couldn't say for sure if the seats are blocked or occupied. I tend to check the seat map using expertflyer and then call in if available. Expertflyer is quite good in differentiating blocked over occupied seats for ET.

If you do end up calling in ask for the seat you want by requesting the seat number and not specifically asking for the exit row. Some agents have stated that exit rows can't be pre booked and only assigned at check in and some do it without a problem. When I've asked for the specific seats they always assign without a problem.
B747-437B and W126Pilot like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by sal77
I've never tried choosing seats online, therefore couldn't say for sure if the seats are blocked or occupied. I tend to check the seat map using expertflyer and then call in if available. Expertflyer is quite good in differentiating blocked over occupied seats for ET.

If you do end up calling in ask for the seat you want by requesting the seat number and not specifically asking for the exit row. Some agents have stated that exit rows can't be pre booked and only assigned at check in and some do it without a problem. When I've asked for the specific seats they always assign without a problem.
Just tried calling in. I gave just the seat numbers, but he cut me off and said he couldn't do it because its an exit row. I might try again later.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:36 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
seat selection not working on website

for the last few days - just for me, or is anyone else having difficulty? Do I need to call in to ask for seats, or is there any other way of trying to request online?

Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
for the last few days - just for me, or is anyone else having difficulty? Do I need to call in to ask for seats, or is there any other way of trying to request online?

Thanks
I flew out JNB-ADD-ACC on Tuesday night, and could not do an OLCI. At the airport I was told that it was that I needed to put in my visa (Ghana) information.
Today, I tried the OLCI again for the return flight and the same error pops up. So, there must be a glitch in the system. Maybe they are using the same people as TK does for their IT systems........
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I have the same issue regularly, I'd say about once out of every five or ten flights on ET. Just doesn't want to let me choose seats until online check in.
Been successful both last week and this week though, even today on three different tickets.
EDIT: And when it doesn't work, even the trick of using the old ET website link also usually doesn't work.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.