Seat selection on Ethiopian Airlines

Old Feb 22, 18, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Haha, I've just picked up a lot of these quirks from many many hours flying around on ET. These small perks for *G are one of the only things that make flying through Addis tolerable!
True, I fly India-SA often and always choose to fly with ET, despite carriers like KQ or WB offer less cost due to their *A status privileges. ADD transit is quite an adventure but again dedicated *G security and gates area (haven't tried it, will test out in April) and their in-flight service has been improving greatly over the years.
Old Feb 22, 18, 3:57 pm

Yes, the graphical representation in the app is inverted! It's been like that for months. So look carefully when selecting the seats.
There is a new version of the Android app released today and it has fixed the seat map bug.
pineapple_juice likes this.
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: CX Something, SQ Soon to be Something, QF Nothing, AS Soon to be Something
Travelling on ET on an SQ Star Alliance award ticket. I called up ET to choose my seats, but no chosen seat is appearing on manage my booking on the ET website. Is this usual?
Old Feb 24, 18, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by AJ747M View Post
Travelling on ET on an SQ Star Alliance award ticket. I called up ET to choose my seats, but no chosen seat is appearing on manage my booking on the ET website. Is this usual?
You will need to select your seat directly with ET via the website or callcenter or app (or via a SABRE travel agency) if you want the ASR to show up in advance and be sure of being confirmed.

If you have requested a seat via another airline or a non-SABRE system, the ASR request is stored in the PNR as an SSR request and only transmits to the DCS when the PNL is issued at between 72-48 hrs prior to departure - so the allocation is done at DCS level only if the seat is still available. This means that someone else could grab the same seat via SABRE before that time and they will have precedence.
Old Feb 24, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: CX Something, SQ Soon to be Something, QF Nothing, AS Soon to be Something
@B747-437B hmm...I did call them directly. Seat selection page not loading on website so can't do it from there. Will call them up again to confirm, have a feeling the phone agent didn't actually select the seats- she seemed very confused. Great info about the systems, thanks!
Old Mar 2, 18, 2:02 am

Just a data point - I've found that for my last few flights, the adjacent seat block is not working for seats selected in an otherwise "restricted" area such as exit row or bulkhead. It works fine for regular seats however.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:25 pm

ET: seat selection

I called the UK call centre this evening (Friday 16 March) and, despite a relatively long wait for the phone to be answered, found the agent to be very polite and efficient. I managed to get seat 2A on the LHR-ADD leg on the A350, with seat 2L for a connecting flight on a 777-200LR. The agent was also very proactive in ensuring a frequent flyer number was added to ensure I received miles, checking my email address etc. I'd previously contacted ET by Twitter but never received a response. Calling the contact centre seems to be the best option for seat selection.
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:30 pm

Programs: United mileage plus, American airlines advantage, Delta, Jet Blue
I just booked business class seats on Ethiopian Airlines today using United Mileage Plus miles, from EWR-ADD-DAR, after Turkish Airlines changed our flight from Istanbul to JRO, and neither Turkish nor United bothered to notify me. I found out by chance last night. After reserving and cancelling several different itineraries, I found award tickets for myself and husband on EA in biz class all the way (Dreamliner from EWR to ADD) to DAR. Luckily, found inexpensive good flight from DAR to JRO so we will have a day to rest before setting out on safari. I was able to get seat assignments online, for both the flight to ADD and to DAR with no problems. I've never flown EA so I'm hoping it will be a good experience. We did fly a United Dreamliner in biz class from SYD to LAX two years ago, and it was the most comfortable flight I have ever taken. As long as I have a lay flat seat and champagne, I'll be a happy camper. I will say, I do not trust Turkish Airlines and am praying that they do not kick us off our ZNZ to IST flight. I will be checking at least once per week. We leave August 1 for DAR.
Old Mar 17, 18, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by laurieco View Post
As long as I have a lay flat seat and champagne, I'll be a happy camper.
The 787s that ET uses on North American routes will not usually have lay-flat seats, but rather the 160-degree angled seats. Only ET-ASG/H/I of the 787s deployed to North America have the lay-flat seats. The ET-AO* and ET-AR* aircraft do not and ET-AT* which have the seats are not used on those routes usually.
Old Mar 17, 18, 5:10 am

The 787s that ET uses on North American routes will not usually have lay-flat seats, but rather the 160-degree angled seats. Only ET-ASG/H/I of the 787s deployed to North America have the lay-flat seats. The ET-AO* and ET-AR* aircraft do not and ET-AT* which have the seats are not used on those routes usually.
According to seat guru, our flight from EWR to ADD has lay flat seats.
Old Mar 17, 18, 6:36 am

Then SeatGuru is wrong.

ET 509 has been operated by 787s with the flat seats only 23 times in the last 6 months. The remaining flights have been with the 787s that have 160-angled seats (other than a few subs by 777s).

Have a look at the below thread for more info on the ET fleet and the Business Class seats.

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?
Old Mar 17, 18, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

I've monitored this for a while as I am planning a trip on ET from ORD to LUN. If you look at the seat map on 787 ET flights from the US (ORD,EWR,LAX), you will see the newer lie flat business class. When the date gets close and the airline has started to select the specific airframes to fly these routes, you will see it switch typically to the older 788 business class seats.

Check the wiki in the following thread:

Ethiopian Best Business Class Seats?
Old Mar 17, 18, 7:30 am

Then SeatGuru is wrong.

ET 509 has been operated by 787s with the flat seats only 23 times in the last 6 months. The remaining flights have been with the 787s that have 160-angled seats (other than a few subs by 777s).

Have a look at the below thread for more info on the ET fleet and the Business Class
With all due respect, I donít know why I should believe your source over seat guru, which I have been using for years and has always been correct. My flight isnít until August so perhaps they will be using the flat bed. My flight is not ET509 in any case.
Old Mar 17, 18, 7:34 am

With all due respect, I donít know why I should believe your source over seat guru, which I have been using for years and has always been correct. My flight isnít until August so perhaps they will be using the flat bed. My flight is not ET509 in any case.
You are free to believe whatever you wish, but that won't change the facts.

You have a 23% chance (3/13) of getting a 787 with flat bed seats on the Newark route. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply wrong. Ethiopian Airlines themselves officially state that all their 787s have flat bed seats installed, but they are wrong. Those of us who fly ET regularly know which aircraft have what seats installed so you can either believe us or believe otherwise, but that won't change what seats are actually on the aircraft that shows up!
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
If you look at the seat map on 787 ET flights from the US (ORD,EWR,LAX), you will see the newer lie flat business class. When the date gets close and the airline has started to select the specific airframes to fly these routes, you will see it switch typically to the older 788 business class seats.
All 787-800 flights are loaded with the "new" seatmaps initially (this is done to avoid issues with re-seating pax since the "new" seatmap only shows 11-12 JKL rather than the full row). The swap to the old seatmap will occur at around T-48 hrs prior to departure from Addis, so around 72 hours prior to US departures. If the seatmap stays constant upto departure from Addis, then its probably ET-ASG/H/I operating the flights as those are the only 3 which are both HGW versions and also configured with the "new" LOPA featuring the lie flat seats.

Search this Thread