Mishandling of Baggage by Royal Jordanian

Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Mishandling of Baggage by Royal Jordanian

Hi,

I would like to share with you a tragedy that had happened to me with Royal Jordanian airlines, a oneworld alliance member.

I took a connection flight on JED AMM ALG sector, and in the second keg of my flight, I was asked by the crew to offload my cabin baggage since the overhead compartments were full. I refused in first because that bag had my money, credit cards and many important documents. However, i was forced to offload and eventually it happened so, but they did not give any tags or any other proof. This bag was lost upon my arrival in ALG and it took almost 12 days for hem to return my bag. Also they had lost one checked in bag that came on 4th day.

The funniest thing is that I have got my bag from the same aircraft on which i had my return flight. In short, i ruined my short vacation with no money and a lot of financial and physical hardships. When i contacted Royal Jordanian for compensation, they have denied for it because they said "you got 7 out of 8 checked bags for which we will not be able to compensate you". As if it was their birth right to displace one bag of each passenger!!!

I feel totally 'cheated' and is there any body who can help me out???
How can we launch a complaint at international level like ICAO or IATA???

Thanks to everyone
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I don't think that's a tragedy, but an unfortunate incident.

Why didn't you carry the cash and credit cards in your wallet? You could have easily taken them out before giving up your carryon to be checked.

Why didn't you take out any important documents/items and either put them in the seat pocket or under the seat in front of you?

How much carry on did you have?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:48 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
ibnunain, welcome to FlyerTalk! I'll move your thread to the forum dedicated to many of the Middle-Eastern-based airlines, where Royal Jordanian is discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Just as a side note, while all of us can regret your missing bag, since FlyerTalk members are mainly an experienced group of flyers and travelers, many members may reply (as already shown above) that any carry-ons requiring checking should have all valuables removed by the passenger before allowing the airline to check it into the baggage hold. This includes valuables such as keys, money, passports, medicines, checkbooks, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:02 pm

I don't see any fault with the airline - except not giving you a bag tag for the bag you checked on line and for their unprofessional comment, "you got 7 out of 8 checked bags for which we will not be able to compensate you."

You should have been told, "Sir, I am sorry for the delay of your bag. Unfortunately, these things do happen; we will try our very best to locate in for you as soon as possible. It is, I am sorry to inform you, not RJ's policy to provide compensation for delayed baggage but we will, if we are unable to find your bag, make prompt payment for your loss. Here is a printed information regarding our policies and your rights."

That said, given the tone of your post -- e.g. "As if it was their birth right to displace one bag of each passenger!!!" -- I am suspect that perhaps you did not approach the baggage agent with respect yourself.

That you would have your money and credit cards on other than your person is no one's fault but your own. RJ certainly owes you nothing for that.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:18 am

I highly doubt that is an accurate quotation of what RJ said.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Clarification

To my friends who need the exact quote:

"Please accept our apologies for the mishandling of your bags, we understand your concern and realize the inconvenience caused. We regret to inform you that your delayed baggage compensation have been rejected by the baggage claims department as you received 7 out of 8 checked bags. "

Dear Indelaware,

it was only my frustration after the above reply. I am very kind......

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:15 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibnunain
To my friends who need the exact quote:

"Please accept our apologies for the mishandling of your bags, we understand your concern and realize the inconvenience caused. We regret to inform you that your delayed baggage compensation have been rejected by the baggage claims department as you received 7 out of 8 checked bags. "
So you had checked 8 pieces of luggage at checkin?
You received 7 of those bags, and 4 days later your 8th bag was delivered to you. Unfortunately, bags can be misplaced and delayed.

Did you need to purchase anything to replace what was in your 8th bag?
If not, what compensation are you expecting?

How much carryon luggage did you have?
I assume you were one of the last to board if all the overheads were already full?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by nux
Did you need to purchase anything to replace what was in your 8th bag?
If not, what compensation are you expecting?
Indeed. If OP needed a toothbrush because it was in the bag which was missing she/he should have asked for authorization to purchase upon arrival at ALG; RJ would likely have authorized the purchase and made reimbursement - or provide toothbrush directly. That OP failed to use common sense and not kept her/his money on his/her self is certainly nothing that anyone should compensate.

And yes, it is common sense. Money doesn't go in either checked luggage or carry on luggage. It says on one's person.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Hi Chaps,

The whole story is on the cabin baggage that was offloaded and not on the 8th missed checked in baggage.

Read the post again.

The tragedy happened on about 15 passengers of the flight, but only probably it is only me who came up here thinking i would meet some good people...

^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:01 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole story is on the cabin baggage that was offloaded and not on the 8th missed checked in baggage.

Read the post again.
Then perhaps you can re-read all the posts in the thread and reply to the remaining questions?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:29 pm

Hi Chaps,

Read the post again.

The tragedy happened on about 15 passengers of the flight, but only probably it is only me who came up here thinking i would meet some good people...

^
So you had nine checked bags. Wow. That's quite a bit for someone on holiday, especially someone without the resources to have her/his credit cards replaced with a phone call or to have funds transferred from one's bank in an emergency.

When a bag is offloaded from carry-on to the baggage hold it becomes a checked bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.