Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming direct flight from Abidjan to the US?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by lamprey
The buzz around here last week is that the SAA JNB-DKR-USA routes might not be long for this world. They're considering moving both the JFK and IAD routes and splitting them between ABJ and another airport (which could be the ACC mention). I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.
lamprey, when you say "around here" where are you referencing?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
lamprey, when you say "around here" where are you referencing?
That would be Abidjan.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:22 am

Ah, thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:27 am
Original Poster

It appears that the TSA is in Abidjan this week doing their security inspection, at least according to the letter in this news story: http://www.connectionivoirienne.net/...ientot-auditee

Things seem to be moving quickly!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

It also looks like this site in Senegal is all but announcing the SAA shift in this strange and rambling story. It's unclear if they are following the French tradition of saying next March (au mois de mars prochain) to mean March 2015, or if they mean next March, in 2016. (It was drafted in February)

http://www.senenews.com/2015/02/14/s...an_112204.html
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Reportedly the TSA will provide the ABJ airport their official certification (or rejection) by March 31st.

The latest rumor is that direct US flights will then presumably start in "July" http://www.connectionivoirienne.net/...oport-dabidjan

Edit: I mistakenly put May when I meant March. It's corrected above. New story reporting the same from today about the March 31st deadline: http://news.abidjan.net/h/528966.html

Last edited by lamprey; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: corrected date and added additional article
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:09 am
Original Poster

News reports are now saying that the TSA has certified the ABJ airport for direct flights to the U.S., a process that took them 15 years. Jeune Afrique is reporting that SAA will have the first direct flights, followed by Delta: http://economie.jeuneafrique.com/reg...tats-unis.html
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:44 am

Also reported by Airwise News.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

I heard on the radio here in Abidjan that apparently the transportation minister is claiming that direct flights from ABJ-US will start by October. That month, coincidentally, is when the presidential elections will be held and there is no airline yet named in the story, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:44 am
Original Poster

New rumblings from Bloomberg, though no specifics other than a direct U.S. flight "by the end of July" according to "a person familiar with the talks." Still seems like SAA is the most-likely contender.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...efore-end-july
Old May 27, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by lamprey
New rumblings from Bloomberg, though no specifics other than a direct U.S. flight "by the end of July" according to "a person familiar with the talks." Still seems like SAA is the most-likely contender.
End of July is pretty close unless there has been a lot of work we don't know about. I would think SAA could set up pretty quickly since they already have a presence in ABJ.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:23 am

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sou...ana-2015-05-27

ORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., May 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- South African Airways (SAA), Africa's most awarded airline, will launch new nonstop service between Washington, D.C.-Dulles International Airport and Accra's Kotoka International Airport on August 3, 2015. With the introduction of this new flight, SAA will be providing the only nonstop flight between Washington D.C. and Ghana, as well as the only Skytrax 4-Star rated airline service and world-class quality from North America to the entire West Africa region. South African Airways also offers convenient connections from over 50 markets in the U.S. and Canada through its airline partners United Airlines, JetBlue Airways and Virgin America via Washington, D.C.-Dulles.
No word of Abidjan yet, but I've been rebooked on 209 automatically for an itinerary in October.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CBear
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sou...ana-2015-05-27

No word of Abidjan yet, but I've been rebooked on 209 automatically for an itinerary in October.
Yeah, I hope it's a where-there's-smoke-there's-fire situation. But it is worrying that they're reiterating the SA207 & 208 flights out of Dakar to IAD... My presumption was that DKR had to lose for ACC and ABJ to win.

$899 RT as a ACC-IAD promo is nice; Delta is charging twice that currently (through JFK), so I hope the competition is good for that market.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
It's not clear exactly what is playing out, but this is what it seems:

Daily JNB-DKR-IAD-DKR-JNB has been switched to:

4x weekly via ACC instead of DKR (SA209/SA210)
3x weekly will remain via DKR (SA207/208)

JNB-ACC-JNB was previously daily, with a tag-on to ABJ 3x weekly. Seemingly, JNB-ACC-ABJ-ACC-JNB is remaining 3x weekly (SA56/SA57), with JNB-ACC-JNB (SA52/SA53) ending.

This doesn't rule out ABJ, since ABJ could replace the 3x weekly DKR flights.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by evanb
It's not clear exactly what is playing out, but this is what it seems:

Daily JNB-DKR-IAD-DKR-JNB has been switched to:

4x weekly via ACC instead of DKR (SA209/SA210)
3x weekly will remain via DKR (SA207/208)

JNB-ACC-JNB was previously daily, with a tag-on to ABJ 3x weekly. Seemingly, JNB-ACC-ABJ-ACC-JNB is remaining 3x weekly (SA56/SA57), with JNB-ACC-JNB (SA52/SA53) ending.

This doesn't rule out ABJ, since ABJ could replace the 3x weekly DKR flights.

From a different article:

SAA currently operates daily flights between Johannesburg and Accra. Effective 2 August 2015 the schedule will be reconfigured as follows:

Four of the weekly Accra flights will continue onwards to Washington;
Three of the weekly Accra flights will continue onwards to Abidjan, Ivory Coast;

Three of the current weekly flights to Washington will continue operating from Johannesburg, via Dakar, Senegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.