Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Booking on Egyptair $50 more expensive than Priceline?

Booking on Egyptair $50 more expensive than Priceline?

Old May 2, 14, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Question Booking on Egyptair $50 more expensive than Priceline?

I may be booking a one-way BKK-JFK flight soon with Egyptair. ITA Matrix shows me that it costs $891.70 for booking class K, and $947.70 with booking class Q.

For some reason, for booking class K, Egyptair.com is charging $941.70 for booking class K ("Best offer"), and $997.70 for booking class Q ("Good deal").

Priceline.com, on the other hand, charges $891.70 for booking class K, the same price as what I found on ITA.

My questions:
1) Does anyone know why Egyptair.com is charging $50 more for booking on their own website, compared to booking on another OTA?

2) I'd like to buy the flight with the Q booking class (as it credits 100% to Aegean), but unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to force an OTA to book into booking class Q. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 14, 1:39 am
Suspended

Travel date?
Old May 3, 14, 3:30 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at mid-July. Say, July 19.
Old May 6, 14, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I don't actually know from experience but perhaps MS has a massive ticketing fee from their own website (like TK for example) that can be circumvented on OTAs?

Try Wideroe
http://www.wideroe.no/en

You can't exactly force it to book Q, but if you open a live chat with a rep before booking, they'll walk you through and they can manually upsell to Q before ticketing.
Old May 6, 14, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I don't actually know from experience but perhaps MS has a massive ticketing fee from their own website (like TK for example) that can be circumvented on OTAs?

Try Wideroe
http://www.wideroe.no/en

You can't exactly force it to book Q, but if you open a live chat with a rep before booking, they'll walk you through and they can manually upsell to Q before ticketing.
Thanks for the tip on Wideroe!

I just gave it a try, and the live chat rep said to make a remark in a special comment box. Unfortunately even on the lower booking class of K, the price quoted was way higher than what Egyptair quoted.

Thanks a lot though!
Old May 8, 14, 11:19 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Are you changing the MS website to location: Thailand before starting the booking process.?

Not too sure why, but I saved about 30% booking a roundtrip BKK-JFK flight at the Thailand local website rather than at the generic International website.. ^
Old May 9, 14, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmdsea View Post
Are you changing the MS website to location: Thailand before starting the booking process.?

Not too sure why, but I saved about 30% booking a roundtrip BKK-JFK flight at the Thailand local website rather than at the generic International website.. ^
This is something I've seen before as well, completely forgot. For Egypt domestic flights it was much cheaper if using the Egypt version of the site rather than International.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: