Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Flight 702 (ADD-FCO) Hijacked by copilot -Diverted to GVA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Flight 702 (ADD-FCO) Hijacked by copilot -Diverted to GVA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
So would this technically fall under the category of highjacking or mutiny?
I heard a Swiss report in French this morning, they used the word "pirate", but then "pirate de l'air" is the French for "hijacker".
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
At any rate, a pilot of Ethiopian would be paid a heck of a lot more than what the average dirt-poor Ethiopian would be paid. Maybe still not well-off by our standards, but already substantially better than a struggling Ethiopian farmer or labourer.
It's not really the nominal income that would be concerning, rather the working conditions and how voluntary the employment is. Ethiopian is trying to expand, has a pilot shortage and doesn't want to competitively bid for foreign pilots. If they're forcing the pilots to work unreasonable hours, not letting them quit and denying them personal freedoms... there could be valid grounds for asylum.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
NBC reports that in Switzerland he's eligible for up to 20 years, but if extradited to Ethiopia, he's eligible for up to 25. I'll take 20 in Switzerland, thanks. Especially with their food purity laws.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by natec
This is almost comical. An airplane pilot hijacks his own plane to get into the EU for asylum. Seriously? Shows how broken the EU policies are. Political asylum is for those being threatened with death/torture in their homeland by the gov't but it's turned into get to Europe and make more on welfare than you do working back home. Free house, free medical, free food. Why not just hijack a jet we're flying to get there!
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost

Because none of those thing are true?
Sure they are. He'll get free house, free medical and free food. In prison. Wouldn't be right to charge him for those things after incarcerating him, now would it .
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It's not really the nominal income that would be concerning, rather the working conditions and how voluntary the employment is. Ethiopian is trying to expand, has a pilot shortage and doesn't want to competitively bid for foreign pilots. If they're forcing the pilots to work unreasonable hours, not letting them quit and denying them personal freedoms... there could be valid grounds for asylum.
But we have no evidence of this at this point. And if poor working condition is always a valid reason to seek asylum, we should have seen a heck of a lot more of these hijackings from third world pilots. I'm not sure unreasonable working conditions is always the get-out-of-jail card for asylum seekers. Better to assess it on a case-by-case basis.

And I think it would have been leaked to the presses if Ethiopian was keeping their pilots as slaves. These kinds of things can't be kept quiet for long in today's world. Ethiopia may not exactly be a Western democracy, but they are far from being a North Korea either. The outside world would have known of such things if it did occur. In any case, this Ethiopian airline, which has an otherwise good reputation for a high standard of inflight service and being professionally-runned (despite located in poor Ethiopia), will not want their standing sullied by inhumane treatment of it's employees.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Feb 18, 2014 at 2:42 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by DCA1983
Do they come with like...a makeshift rope ladder, too? That's a long way down from a 767...
It's just a rope.. after you wiggle your butt out of that window feet first trying to manage a ladder is just a waste of time.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by traveller001
It's just a rope.. after you wiggle your butt out of that window feet first trying to manage a ladder is just a waste of time.
Actually a knotted rope - big knots every foot or two. Something to grab on to and climb down more easily.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
He landed the plane safely. That was nice. So give this "pilot" 19 years - one year for good behavior. I hope the "folks" in Switzerland gave him a box of chocolates upon arrival dropping down that rope.

Should have gone to AMS instead - Legal Weed, Hash, Prostitution, etc. (I love it - it is my home away from home) LAS. Kidding.

I guess according to this (19 years is not enough): Co-pilot who hijacked Ethiopian plane threatened to crash it, passenger says.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02...a-reports-say/

Bring this P.O.S. to the good old USA, put him on trial in TX or FL and see what he gets. Vet these pilot's or co-pilot's 100%.

Remember this gem: http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

Spirit is looking better everyday.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Probably better ways to do that than hijack a plane.
I agree, I don't understand why he would have gone through the "trouble" of hijacking a plane full of passengers and risking prison for it when he could have taken a train from Rome or Milan to Switzerland...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
A passenger onboard an Ethiopian Airlines jet that was hijacked by a co-pilot – who guided the plane to Geneva instead of Rome – said the co-pilot threatened to crash the plane if the pilot kept trying to get back into the cockpit.

The Italian news agency ANSA quoted passenger Francesco Cuomo as saying the pilot was demanding that the hijacker open the door and tried to break it down without success.

Cuomo, 25, was quoted as saying the hijacker, speaking in poor English on a loudspeaker, threatened to crash the plane in response and then the oxygen masks came down.
Perhaps give him a slap on the wrist. I have "feelings".
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Obviously being a pilot is totally different from a poor farmworker living off the land. But wasnt there a case a few years ago with an American pilot who had to be restrained? Maybe he just went mad?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
I agree, I don't understand why he would have gone through the "trouble" of hijacking a plane full of passengers and risking prison for it when he could have taken a train from Rome or Milan to Switzerland...
Exactly.

The logical way to seek asylum would be just to "slip-off-the-radar" while staying overnight at some European destination and instead of reporting back to duty the next day for the flight home, declare he's seeking asylum at the Swiss Embassy/Consulate.

By hijacking and endangering a group of innocent passengers, he invalidates his own asylum claim...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
But we have no evidence of this at this point. And if poor working condition is always a valid reason to seek asylum, we should have seen a heck of a lot more of these hijackings from...
...Americans
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
...Americans
To come back on this point (ET treatment of pilots), I was rather under the impression that they weren't particularly badly treated. I remember a friend of mine working at ADD airport for ET, "complaining" that pilots were paid much, much better than anyone else at the airline, and getting bigger raises.

It's of course only one opinion, and it probably doesn't mean that ET pilots are paid like royalty, but it certainly doesn't hint at slavery I guess that, whatever the motive for seeking asylum, it's unlikely to be linked to working conditions.

(indeed, i'm not sure i'd prefer working at an american feeder airline rather than at ET..)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS
The reports state the plane was giving off the "hijack" code, which apparently was its transponder squawking 7500.

That makes me wonder - can the "hijacking in progress" squawk code be triggered from the the passenger cabin? Because the captain was locked out of the flight deck. So unless the hijacker (the copilot) himself triggered it, which is possible given his stated intentions, it would have had to be done from outside the flight deck.

Do passenger aircraft now have this capability as part of the security features we don't normally know about?

Given how easily one can come to the "who triggered the code?" question, I don't think this is particularly a security risk to be asking the question. Security by obscurity doesn't work anyhow.
You can only squawk from inside the cockpit, no way to do so from the passenger cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.