Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Flight 702 (ADD-FCO) Hijacked by copilot -Diverted to GVA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Flight 702 (ADD-FCO) Hijacked by copilot -Diverted to GVA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
What a selfish man to endanger all those people's lives that he was paid to keep safe for his own self benefit. Many, many people in Ethiopia would love a chance at any kind of life and income, the vast majority have no chance in hell of even getting on a plane as a passenger never mind a career pilot. He had a lot of other options if he wanted out of his country for good, this was a terribly stupid and insensitive thing to do.
I'm not in any way condoning what he did, but he knows how to fly and land a plane, now that we know who the hijacker was it's clear that there was no great risk to anybody's lives. This event was dramatic enough without exaggerating it even more.

I'm sure when the movie version is made there will be more than enough drama, with Ben Affleck (brave passenger in seat 1A) and Scarlett Johansson (feisty Flight Attendant) ensuring that the entire country of Switzerland isn't destroyed by the crazed co-pilot crashing the plane with its precious cargo of nuclear weapons into Geneva's main business centre...

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Feb 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm not in any way condoning what he did, but he knows how to fly and land a plane, now that we know who the hijacker was it's clear that there was no great risk to anybody's lives. This event was dramatic enough without exaggerating it even more. .
That's all very well and good, but imagine how this ends with a Navy SEAL in 2B, and no way to know the pilot's intention.

The risk here, was too high.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:26 pm

Also worth remembering / comparing:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-695710.html
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:32 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Ermmm,

Why not just fly to FCO as originally scheduled and not show up for your return (or onward segment?).

Before you know it, you're on a bus to Switzerland or trying to sneak across the border.

Pilot was either trying to make one strong statement, or had some mental issues.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas
That's all very well and good, but imagine how this ends with a Navy SEAL in 2B, and no way to know the pilot's intention.

The risk here, was too high.
I have no idea what a navy seal is (dark blue companion animal?) or why it should be sitting in 2B and making flights more dangerous; the fact is that this particular hijacker knows how to fly and land the plane.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:44 pm

I have no idea what a navy seal is (dark blue companion animal?) or why it should be sitting in 2B and making flights more dangerous; the fact is that this particular hijacker knows how to fly and land the plane.
Google it; my point, which perhaps should not be made so directly, was that any of a large class of PAX in First, could and would have downed the plane if there were no other options, in these circumstances, given what would have been known in the First Cabin, rather than risk greater casualties and costs; and that given that the opportunities to do so would have been so short, and offered so little chance for consideration-- do it or don't-- the crime here, was very serious.

Perhaps none of your friends, died on September 11th, or in what has happened afterward.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by joejones
Others more knowledgeable than me have pointed out that once you enter Schengen, any asylum application you make is processed by the country where you first entered Schengen. And Italy is not the most charitable country when it comes to giving asylum to Africans.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Ermmm,

Why not just fly to FCO as originally scheduled and not show up for your return (or onward segment?).

Before you know it, you're on a bus to Switzerland or trying to sneak across the border.

Pilot was either trying to make one strong statement, or had some mental issues.
This might indeed explain it - though it excuses nothing, and he would have needed to weight it against a heavy prison term..
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

My feeble little joke was indeed directed at the poor conditions that Americans work under compared to most of the western world.
You really must travel some to free yourself of your ridiculous preconceptions.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
This might indeed explain it - though it excuses nothing, and he would have needed to weight it against a heavy prison term..
He took a high risk of killing everyone aboard and himself. Perhaps he was considering that Italian prisons are not exactly known for their posh accomodations-- or high daily calories-- or light--

but surely, he had other opportunities, in other countries? If a bit less dramatic.

As a prosecutor, how do you view this? Reckless endangerment against a few hundred lives, hardly covers it, when a wrong move in the airspace, could lead to any variety of other consequences...

Last edited by kthomas; Feb 19, 2014 at 12:01 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You really must travel some to free yourself of your ridiculous preconceptions.
You're trying to convince yourself that Americans have better working conditions that, say, the British or Australians? Hilarious!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:59 pm

You're trying to convince yourself that Americans have better working conditions that, say, the British or Australians? Hilarious!
They are not in the UK or Australia. QED...

But we're veering offtopic, and I'm just teasing ...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Not sure if you are joking or serious?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by kthomas
He took a high risk of killing everyone aboard and himself. Perhaps he was considering that Italian prisons are not exactly known for their posh accomodations-- or high daily calories-- or light--

but surely, he had other opportunities, in other countries? If a bit less dramatic.

As a prosecutor, how do you view this? Reckless endangerment against a few hundred lives, hardly covers it, when a wrong move in the airspace, could lead to any variety of other consequences...
I agree (though the risk for passengers was probably limited as others have pointed out). His behavior is certainly not excusable.

That does not mean, however, that he didn't do it because he calculated a prison term in switzerland was better than whatever he feared at home, or he thought that was a better place for asking for asylum, as joejones and MtlChris have explained.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No, not a pinniped, a special-ops guy.

But I wouldn't expect to find one on this flight, except in an unofficial capacity and unarmed.

No idea whether Ethiopia or Italy would have some type of air marshall on this kind of flight. However, the copilot probably *would* know if armed police or military were in the cabin somewhere.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Ermmm,

You don't have to sneak accross the border from Italy. Both countries are part Schengen. Switzerland joined the borderless Schengen area in 2009.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.