ET Transit Hotel on Award?

Old Feb 25, 13, 12:48 am
Original Poster

ET Transit Hotel on Award?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience on getting a hotel & transit visa on ET's dime if the ticket is an award? (I'd be booking through UA)

From what I can find online, it seems they are pretty lax, as if you aren't even booked on the first flight out, they'd still provide the hotel.

If I was flying alone, I'd just risk it and wing it if they denied me. But now that I'm travelling with my wife, I'd like to have a little better plan in place.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 13, 6:23 am

Yep. No problems. Have gotten it on UA ticketed award in the past.
Old Feb 25, 13, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Any experience how long I could push the 'transit' and still get them to pay for the hotel/visa?

There are quite a few connection options available, and I'd like to take the 19 hour one, that could at least give me some time to explore the city for a day.
Old Feb 26, 13, 5:12 am

Officially, they require you to be on the first flight out to the destination.

In practice, this, like everything else, depends on whether the agent processing your paperwork is alert or not.
Old Mar 5, 13, 10:19 am

For the record, I got nailed by the "best connection" rule this morning and had to pay $70 for the STPC service.

As a *G, I was put up in the Empire Addis Hotel which was surprisingly decent together with 3 meals, airport transfers and visa. Definitely a savings over purchasing a-la-carte.
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:28 pm

I recently bought an ET ticket (not award) from LUN-ZNZ and did not take the regular connection since it would put me into ZNZ at 2 am. Choose the 10 am departure the next day.

I was given hotel vouchers without asking at checkin in Lusaka. Handed these in at the transfer desk and was assigned to the Churchill Hotel (so so place, but no complaints). Was provided with both dinner and breakfast. No issues with getting our passport stamped and didn't have to pay for the visa since it was only transit.

(Earlier in this trip paid for the Ethiopian visa which was only $20 for US passport holders - some websites seemed to indicate this was $70).
Old Aug 12, 13, 5:30 pm

Deleting - duplicate posting
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:59 am
ajb

Just double checking about hotel in transit

This is my first time on Ethiopian Airways. When the Ethiopian ticket agent said that they would give us a hotel overnight (our flight from Kilimanjaro to Addis arrives at 8pm and the connecting flight from Addis to Brazzaville leaves the next morning at 9:30am), I thought it sounded crazy since we are traveling on United award miles ( my husband and myself in Business and my son in Economy) but reading this forum it sounds like it is correct.

Does anyone know when/where do we get the hotel vouchers? In Kilimanjaro or in Addis? And does this include transfers to/from the airport?

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 14, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ajb View Post
Does anyone know when/where do we get the hotel vouchers? In Kilimanjaro or in Addis? And does this include transfers to/from the airport?
You collect the vouchers at the transit desk in Addis. The voucher will include complimentary visa, transfers, hotel room and all meals.

If you are in Business Class, you will receive a voucher for the Hilton Addis. In that case, the transfers will be provided in the Hilton's courtesy transport - when you exit immigration (with your vouchers) you head to the Hilton desk located immediately across the arrivals hall. You can't miss it.
Old Jan 11, 14, 8:40 pm
ajb

Thanks for the information. It sounds like they may try to put us up at the Hilton with business class tickets and my son somewhere else. Do you think there is any way we can persuade them to keep us together (preferably at the Hilton!)
Old Jan 12, 14, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ajb View Post
Thanks for the information. It sounds like they may try to put us up at the Hilton with business class tickets and my son somewhere else. Do you think there is any way we can persuade them to keep us together (preferably at the Hilton!)
Just ask. As long as it isn't going to be an extra room for them (you would be entitled to 2 rooms at the Hilton anyway), I don't think there would be a problem. You may have to pay for his meals at the Hilton, but otherwise should be straightforward.
Old Jan 12, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hyatt , HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List Preferred, Avis 1st
Flying through in February on a United Award ticket.

We are currently scheduled to arrive from Istanbul on TK in J at 1:10am and depart to Seychelles on ET in J at 10:10 am. So we currently have 9 hours in ADD.

I believe that even thought we are arriving on TK and departing on ET we will get a hotel. Can anyone confirm this?
Is 9 hours enough time to go to a hotel and are they still running shuttles at this time 1-2am?
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:03 pm
ajb

Thanks for pointing out that we will be entitled to two rooms since my husband and I will both be traveling on business class - that totally escaped me when I was thinking this through!
Old Jan 14, 14, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
I am quite happy to hear that ET does this and am eager to try this out since most of the UA awards tickets are 25,000 point business class flights via ADD when going out of here in Abidjan. So with the hotel/visa being covered, it'll be a nice way to break up my 33 hour intra-Africa trip to Cape Town.
Old Jan 15, 14, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by lamprey View Post
I am quite happy to hear that ET does this and am eager to try this out since most of the UA awards tickets are 25,000 point business class flights via ADD when going out of here in Abidjan. So with the hotel/visa being covered, it'll be a nice way to break up my 33 hour intra-Africa trip to Cape Town.
Only for the next few weeks though. The UA award chart for intra-Africa partner flights goes up from February.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: