Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in Jeddah Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Transit in Jeddah Airport?

I have found a cheap ticket with Saudi Arabian Airlines.

It has a 3 hours stop in Jeddah Airport. Would I be allowed to land and transit to my next flight in the airport with out a transit visa? or is transit visa only if you want to enter the country?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
As long as you're transferring from one Saudia flight to another you should be able to transit without visa.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:00 am

It depends on your routing and the country of your citizenship. Here are the rules for a US Citizen:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.8.R1/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:
National USA (US)               /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit Saudi Arabia (SA)       /Destination Iran (IR)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

[Visa Information - Transit] Saudi Arabia (SA)

[Information For Normal Passports]
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 18 hours when inbound flight is
operated by Saudi Arabian Airlines; or
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 8 hours when inbound flight is
not operated by Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- Only one transit stop-over in Saudi Arabia is permitted.
 - Except when flying on Saudi Arabian Airlines, where a
   second transit point is permitted.
Additional Information:
- Passengers who are willing to perform Umrah while in transit
  through Jeddah (JED) can obtain a transit visa up to 72
  hours provided: 
  [[TIDFT/SA/PA/AI/ID27636]] 
Warning:
- Visitors holding passports containing any Israeli visa or
  stamp could be refused entry.

[Health Information] Saudi Arabia (SA)

Vaccination against yellow fever required if arriving within 6
days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow
fever transmission [[TIRGL/YFIN]]. (SEE NOTE 11460) 
   NOTE 11460: Infected areas in Sudan are south of latitude
  15 degrees. Certificate from local Sudanese health
  authorities is required, indicating that passengers have not
  visited these infected areas during the last 6 days prior to
  departure. 

Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:
- Transit passengers not leaving the airport in Saudi Arabia.
- Those not leaving the airport in the countries with risk of
  yellow fever transmission.
Warning:
- Persons without valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate -
  if required - will be vaccinated upon arrival and are
  subject to quarantine. 
- Vaccination for Meningitis required for:
 - Hajis and Umrah passengers (SEE NOTE 24666).
     NOTE 24666: The date of vaccination should be not more
    than 3 years and not less than 10 days from the date of
    arrival in Saudi Arabia. Passenger not holding Meningitis
    vaccination certificate, if required, will be vaccinated
    upon arrival or quarantined. 

22 Nov 2012 / 06:57 [UTC]
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Hi,

I fly Saudia quite frequently and have not had any issues. My longest transit to date has been 12hours. Anything above 18hours and you might need a transit visa.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! I have EU passport.

So if I understand it correctly I can easily transit to the other flight like in all other airports in the world? No special permission needed?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
In Jeddah, no. There is a specific transit desk where the buses drop you off. Just ask around. Don't go to arrivals/immigration.

After that, you have to climb up/take a lift up 2 floors. It's just a narrow passage and then just randomly try one of the few doors. You will end up airside, after departure immigration but before departure security.

Only in Medina, you have to get an immigration officer to walk you through arrival immigration and then back through departure immigration as they don't have proper transit facilities.

Will fly though Jeddah in 2 weeks time again, and will report if there has been any changes.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: United MilagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold
I had transit at RUH in May this year to and from LHR from BOM. After the first flight, there was an officer asking transit passengers to step aside and follow him. We went through passport / ID check and then a security check and then took the stairs to the departure area again. The whole process was hassle free and took about 30 mins end to end with 2 young children in tow. Experience on Saudia exceeded my expectations in terms of service and comfort and even the airport transit was not bad at all.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by tejasjog
I had transit at RUH in May this year to and from LHR from BOM. After the first flight, there was an officer asking transit passengers to step aside and follow him. We went through passport / ID check and then a security check and then took the stairs to the departure area again. The whole process was hassle free and took about 30 mins end to end with 2 young children in tow. Experience on Saudia exceeded my expectations in terms of service and comfort and even the airport transit was not bad at all.
Hi Tejasjog,

Did you travel on an Indian passport? I was under the impression that Indian passport holders might require a transit visa. One of my family member might be booking a JFK-BOM-JFK flight with layover either in Riyadh or Jeddah next year. She has an Indian passport, but works in the States. I have never been to either airports, so how much of a layover would you say is acceptable from a comfort/killing time perspective? On a slightly related note, are women transit passengers (who do not leave the terminal during transit) required to have a male companion while at Riyadh or Jeddah airports? I'd read something to this effect, and hence the question. Many thanks to you & to the other posters here.

zenith2010
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: United MilagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by zenith2010
Hi Tejasjog,

Did you travel on an Indian passport? I was under the impression that Indian passport holders might require a transit visa. One of my family member might be booking a JFK-BOM-JFK flight with layover either in Riyadh or Jeddah next year. She has an Indian passport, but works in the States. I have never been to either airports, so how much of a layover would you say is acceptable from a comfort/killing time perspective? On a slightly related note, are women transit passengers (who do not leave the terminal during transit) required to have a male companion while at Riyadh or Jeddah airports? I'd read something to this effect, and hence the question. Many thanks to you & to the other posters here.

zenith2010
Yes. We did travel with Indian passports. I think the transit visa is required only of the duration of the layover is more than 18 hours. We were there from 8pm tp 2am on the way to London and from 6am to 10am on the way back to Mumbai. There's nothing much to do at the airport except ait around and wait. But here's the thing during both our layovers, we were given meal boxes; onward it was with a hot meal tray with options for veg. fish chicken or lamb; return was a breakfast box. It was indeed a nice touch and very welcome! On the way back there was a Gujarati aunty who tagged along with us as requested by her daughter and son-in-law at LHR. So I guess there are single female travellers as well. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:11 am

Very helpful. Thanks tejasjog.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:00 pm

Jedah: through check in and transit time

Hi, I found a cheap ticket from Toronto to Delhi via Jeddah on Saudi. The transit time is 2 hr 10 min between 9 AM to 11:10 AM. I am planning to travel on Nov 30th 2013. As this is first experience flying with Saudi, I am not sure if Saudi Airlines allows through check in and if 2 hours on sunday morning is a sufficient time to transit through the Jeddah airport on average?

I will appreciate if anyone can share a personal experience of transit through Jeddah. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA - PLT, QR - Gold
Transit in JED

Hello,

I will fly as a german citizen from FRA to JED on Lufthansa Airlines and will connect 5 hours later with Saudi Airlines from JED to KUL (with a seperate ticket).

My question is: Do I need a transit visa?

I have to make a new check inn at JED that is why I am asking.

Do I need to leave the transit area for the check inn?

Another question is:

Do I need to drop off the luggage for a second time or is it possible to check inn the luggage from FRA through to KUL?

Thank you for every help!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
transit visa

Originally Posted by tmpvt
Hello,

I will fly as a german citizen from FRA to JED on Lufthansa Airlines and will connect 5 hours later with Saudi Airlines from JED to KUL (with a seperate ticket).

Another question is:

Do I need to drop off the luggage for a second time or is it possible to check inn the luggage from FRA through to KUL?

I highly recommend you contact the embassy regarding a transit visa, which is not always available.
Your first problem is you are landing at one terminal which is about 20 KM driving to the other terminal. I do believe there are transfers from one terminal to the other but have never done it. Regarding your baggage, I am guessing you will have to receive it and recheck it at the other terminal, even if it was checked all the way through at original checkin. Don't assume anything there and wait at the baggage claim to see if they come out.

The terminals suck big time, so you may want to catch a cab (make sure to avoid the local drivers and non-licensed cabs - I prefer an Indian or Pakistani driver - you may even want to negotiate a deal for him to wait for you or come back and pick you up post meal. Also don't expect them to accept foreign currency) and grab a bite outside if you have the transit visa. There are a number of western restaurants in the vicinity of the airport (plenty in the Mall of Arabia and Roshan Mall.) including Unos Chicago Grill (one of my favorites) and AlBaik (local fried chicken place - beats KFC or any other big time). Keep in mind they close at prayer time, but if you are in the restaurant you can usually stay through the prayer time.

The lounge in the Saudia Terminal is not that bad, but can be very crowded many times.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Originally Posted by arpitgarg20
Hi, I found a cheap ticket from Toronto to Delhi via Jeddah on Saudi. The transit time is 2 hr 10 min between 9 AM to 11:10 AM. I am planning to travel on Nov 30th 2013. As this is first experience flying with Saudi, I am not sure if Saudi Airlines allows through check in and if 2 hours on sunday morning is a sufficient time to transit through the Jeddah airport on average?

I will appreciate if anyone can share a personal experience of transit through Jeddah. Thanks in advance!
2 hours may not be enough time unless you are strictly from a Saudia flight to a Saudia flight. If you are going from terminal to terminal, I would recommend a rethink. If you do it, ask the staff to call over to say you are coming in the hope that they will wait for you if running late, but no guarantees.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by tmpvt
Hello,

Another question is:

I would be very careful with this. At a minimum I would apply for a transit visa in advance. The checkin agents may make an issue as well. When I checked in with KLM, the agent was shocked I had a visa and had to double check with her supervisor.

Also it took almost 2 hours at immigration for me and I've heard that this is quite usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.