South Africa's luggage policy on arrival

Old Sep 12, 12, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond

Sorry, I searched, but was unable to find an answer to my questions. Thanks in advance.

I am flying from the US to Port Elizabeth through JNB. I have a pretty tight connection (~90 minutes) in JNB.

If I check a bag, will I have to claim it in JNB for customs - as that is my initial point of entry into S.A. - or will I claim it in Port Elizabeth?

Not sure if this is helpful information, but I am transferring from QR (DOH-JNB) to SA (JNB-PLZ) and in J class.

Also, is it a long walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminal at JNB?

Thanks again in advance,
SFO_Chad
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

I made this connection in July from QR to SA. You will collect in JNB, clear immigration/customs, them proceed to domestic. It is not very far, 90 minutes should be fine. Enjoy the DOH lounge - fantastic!
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am debating between carrying on and checking...but am thinking checking the bag might be easier with all my connections and long layovers.

I am very much looking forward to the DOH lounge terminal. Any suggestions / must do's. I have almost 6 hours. I have heard about the hot tub, but not sure abou that one

Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 12, 4:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum
If you arrive early in the morning, Immigration queues can be quite long. This can delay your exit from JNB International. As you exit after customs, on the left hand side, you will see check in desks for SAA, where you can drop off your luggage. The ones on the far right are for J class and usually have shorter queues. Hopefully you make it there in 45-60 minutes.

I found the staff to be rude to several passengers who needed to re-book, as they had missed their connection.

If you can stick to carry on luggage, that would be my recommendation.

RWA
Old Sep 17, 12, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica View Post

If you can stick to carry on luggage, that would be my recommendation.

RWA
I agree. 90 minutes is tight and doesn't allow for any delay in arrival. Not sure when the QR flight lands, but as others have mentioned if in the morning then that could mean a longer immigration line.

I don't even bother with the transfer desk anymore and just go straight to the domestic terminal to check in when on 2 different tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: