Search

bags allowance on SAA domestic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXEC CLUB
bags allowance on SAA domestic

hi, nest august my wife and i will be in southafrica for 15 days
i suppose we''ll have 2 big bags and 2 cabin bags.
after 2 days in johannesburg we''l move to kruger park for 5 days and then we'll go to cape town.
as the plane from jnb to phw is very small i think we 'll be not allowed to check the big bags; my idea is to leave the 2 big bags at tambo airport and take them on our way back from phw to cpt.

our itinerary from phw to cpt is:

phw 13.15 jnb 14.35 jnb 17.00 cpt 19.10

the question is: do we arrive and leave within the same terminal?

do we have enough time to collect our bags and check them ?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:20 pm
Ambassador

I don't know what size "big" is but you should be able to check your bags as long as they are under 20kg. The SA Airlink website also gives maximum dimensions but they're pretty generous (90x72x45cm).

Your flights will arrive and depart from the domestic terminal at JNB (although all terminals are under one roof)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXEC CLUB
Originally Posted by BA304
I don't know what size "big" is but you should be able to check your bags as long as they are under 20kg.
it's a problem. i've to convince my wife....
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BA304
I don't know what size "big" is but you should be able to check your bags as long as they are under 20kg.
As a *G does that allowance go to 40kg, 20kg additional where the weight concept applies? Recently I was in JNB with 32kgs going to DUR and eventually was allowed the baggage at no cost which I appreciated. Just not sure if that was an exception or something earned as a *G.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Need to check whether flight is SAA mainline or SAA operated by SA Airlink. I dont think *G benefits apply on SA Airlink. There are other threads on this topic.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly to and from PHW regularly. The flight is operated by Airlink with a J41.

First of all, note that there is no room at your seat for cabin bags in the J41.

You can "Sky Check" them, i.e. leave them on a trolley before boarding the aircraft. When they call boarding at PHW, you first show your boarding card to the gate agent (most likely the same one who checked you in). Then, before you get to the security checkpoint, you place your bags on the trolley on your left, in exchange for a receipt.

If your cabin bags are on the big side, they will want to weigh them at the check-in desk to make sure they qualify.

If your cabin bags are small enough (i.e. smaller than a regular briefcase) you will be allowed to take them on board, which will entail a manual search at security. This may or may not be very thorough (as in emptying every compartment). The FA will then place your bags in a big pile in a closet at the front of the cabin. On arrival at JNB, these bags will be offloaded before the pax disembark, and placed on the tarmac with the Sky Check bags.

At JNB you will be bused to the terminal, where you take the escalator up one level to departures.

I do not check luggage, and can therefore not tell you whether they will let you check more than 20 kg. The J41 is a small aircraft however, space in the luggage hold is limited.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.