Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian (ET) ShebaMiles earning/burning for Star Alliance partners

Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

As Ethiopian is now officially part of Star Alliance, they have published both the earnings and award chart for Star Alliance partners.

The earning can be found here: http://www.flyethiopian.com/en/docs/...lass-STAR.html

And the burning ShebaMiles here: http://www.flyethiopian.com/en/docs/...hart_STAR.html

IMHO the award rules make very little sense. You are only allowed a one direct flight each way or you need to use multiple awards.

Segment

Specific awards are assigned to round trips and one way. Round trip applies to 2 segments flights. One way applies to 1 segment flight.

Specific Award Rules

Miles indicated in the chart are good for Award Ticket redemption. It applies to round trip. The most direct flights between the origin airport and the destination airport should apply. Only one flight is allowed in each direction. Any other routing will require combining two or more Awards in order to fulfill a redemption request.

One way award is 75 percent of the round trip mile requirement.

There may be restriction on Award Application for certain flights and airlines on some routes.

More than one Star Alliance member airlines flights can be combined on one award ticket.

Code share flights should be booked on the operating airline flight number.

First Class and Business Class Flights awards cannot be used on Singapore Airlines flights operated by A380, A345, and B777-300ER aircrafts.

There are some periods when Award Tickets cannot be used on Star Alliance Member Airlines Flights. Seats for flights are subject to availability at all times. Seats may not be available for awards even if seats are available for paid tickets.

Award tickets are ineligible for mile accrual.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
As Ethiopian is now officially part of Star Alliance, they have published both the earnings and award chart for Star Alliance partners.

The earning can be found here: http://www.flyethiopian.com/en/docs/...lass-STAR.html

And the burning ShebaMiles here: http://www.flyethiopian.com/en/docs/...hart_STAR.html

IMHO the award rules make very little sense. You are only allowed a one direct flight each way or you need to use multiple awards.
I'm just guessing here, but it sounds to me like 'one flight' might in fact include connections, but not stopovers. Otherwise, there would be little need to require "the most direct flights between the origin airport and the destination airport". Note the plural 's' as opposed to the singular in both instances of 'airport'.

What they probably mean is, you can redeem a RT award from, say, ADD to VIE via CAI (assuming that is the most direct connection), but not via IST or FRA. If you're redeeming ADD-FRA RT, you cannot go via CAI but must take the non-stop instead.

Again, I could be totally off and they really want you to combine multiple awards all the time - but then a large part of the burning chart would be redundant, unless there are some direct East Africa-Australia/NZ/South Pacific *A flights that I'm not aware of. Or maybe that's just an indication of ET's ambitious plans for future expansion...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
I'm just guessing here, but it sounds to me like 'one flight' might in fact include connections, but not stopovers. Otherwise, there would be little need to require "the most direct flights between the origin airport and the destination airport". Note the plural 's' as opposed to the singular in both instances of 'airport'.

What they probably mean is, you can redeem a RT award from, say, ADD to VIE via CAI (assuming that is the most direct connection), but not via IST or FRA. If you're redeeming ADD-FRA RT, you cannot go via CAI but must take the non-stop instead.
Absolutely agree with you that there is ambiguity in the wording.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Wink Did you know Guam is in South America?

Ethiopian has an interesting perspective on the world as seen below:

South America

Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guam, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Niue, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela

Also all the USA is one region, so Hawaii is included??
So it looks like from the USA/Canada--South America, North America, and the South Pacific are good deals!!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Other nice oddities, Cyprus is considered North Africa, all the 'Stans are considered Europe (except Kyrgyzstan), and Ecuador is considered Central America.

Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.