Transit time Nairobi Airport

Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:26 pm

Do you have checked in luggage? If not, you will be more than fine, if yes - this is a very very risky connection, I would book a later flight.
Even with a VIP service, the slightest delay in luggage delivery could means you will be too late to check-in your bag with Precision Air.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
SA and PW do have an interline agreement so you could ask at check-in to have your bags tagged but this usually depends on how competent the check in agent is. It is a risky connection as NBO is not usually a place where bags arrive quickly.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by rutgers77
I have a very tight transfer. I will be flying South African Airways from Johannesburg to Nairobi.. Our flight arrives at terminal 1B at 3:05PM.. Our Precision Airlines flight is scheduled to depart at 16:50 from terminal 1A. Most importantly, is there anything that can be done to expedite the process? I am really afraid I am going to miss that plane. I have been losing sleep over it. I did not realize that Precision closes their checkin an hour before the flight when I booked this. Should we buy another set of tickets for a later time?
When you step off the plane at NBO, let the ground staff know you are a transit passenger, need to collect bags, and check in for PW (Kenya Airways handles their operations at NBO). There should be no need to clear immigration, and the two hours you have is quite doable.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:54 am

Transfers

There several flights going between nbo and Jro. Right now I am inclined to leave things as they are and if necessary, book another flight while there. What does everyone think?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:50 am

There several flights going between nbo and Jro. Right now I am inclined to leave things as they are and if necessary, book another flight while there. What does everyone think?
That's def the most straight forward but least cost effective I suppose.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:09 am

Indeed there are, I would personally book the 18:25 KQ one ...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:47 pm

Transfer

Can I check in on line and bypass the issue with the checkin closing 1 hour before flight time? Is there someone to give the luggage to so it gets on the plane in Nairobi Airport?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:14 pm

Can I check in on line and bypass the issue with the checkin closing 1 hour before flight time? Is there someone to give the luggage to so it gets on the plane in Nairobi Airport?
You can bypass the airport check in using online check in and get a BP from the transfer desk but if you have checked bags that are not tagged all the way to JRO then you will have to claim them. AFAIK there is no service that will claim your bags and recheck them for you. As I said before, you can try have them interlined by SAA check in but there are no guarantees they will do this.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:10 pm

Transfer.

Is there some way I can get the luggage on the plane after I claimed it? From what you said before it may not make it if I ask SAA to check it through to JRO.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:33 pm

Is there some way I can get the luggage on the plane after I claimed it? From what you said before it may not make it if I ask SAA to check it through to JRO.
I should clarify. When I said bags are slow at NBO, I meant to the carousel at arrivals because of the distance from plane to arrivals and NBO is all manual baggage handling. If they are checked through, then they should make it in the time you have. When I ask for bags to be interlined, I usually go to the transfer desk/gate with my claim tags and ask them to confirm that my bags show in the manifest for the connecting flight.

If you are claiming them, then you have to walk your bags over to Terminal 1C from arrivals (about 5-7min), wait in the queue to enter the terminal, go through a security check and bag screening, and then wait in the check in queue.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by kq747
I should clarify. When I said bags are slow at NBO, I meant to the carousel at arrivals because of the distance from plane to arrivals and NBO is all manual baggage handling. If they are checked through, then they should make it in the time you have. When I ask for bags to be interlined, I usually go to the transfer desk/gate with my claim tags and ask them to confirm that my bags show in the manifest for the connecting flight.

If you are claiming them, then you have to walk your bags over to Terminal 1C from arrivals (about 5-7min), wait in the queue to enter the terminal, go through a security check and bag screening, and then wait in the check in queue.
So, if you were me would you interline the bags? Then I could make the connection.

Also, if I buy Kenya air tickets at Nairobi airport, do you know if they take credit cards?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:37 am

So, if you were me would you interline the bags? Then I could make the connection.

Also, if I buy Kenya air tickets at Nairobi airport, do you know if they take credit cards?
You should definitely ask for them to be interlined, whether or not the SAA agent do it is another thing and you have no way of knowing in advance.

I never bought tickets from KQ at NBO airport, but I'm sure they will accept credit cards.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Credit cards are accepted by Kenya Airways.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
We are flying Johannesburg to London and v.v. with Kenya Airways:
- JNB-NBO overnight 3'15" layover
- NBO-LHR
- LHR-NBO overnight 2'45" layover
- NBO-JNB
all in KQ business class. One of us has booked wheelchair transits.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could please advise:
- will we have access to lounges at NBO?
- will there be any passport/immigration issues? (I'm assuming not.)
- do we have to do anything special about bags, will we check bags in in JNB outbound and see them next at LHR and the reverse on the return? (I'm assuming nothing special.)

This will be our first biz transfer at NBO and our first with walking stick with KQ. Many thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Roger
We are flying Johannesburg to London and v.v. with Kenya Airways:
- JNB-NBO overnight 3'15" layover
- NBO-LHR
- LHR-NBO overnight 2'45" layover
- NBO-JNB
all in KQ business class. One of us has booked wheelchair transits.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could please advise:
- will we have access to lounges at NBO?
Yes

- will there be any passport/immigration issues? (I'm assuming not.)
You will not be passing through immigration

- do we have to do anything special about bags, will we check bags in in JNB outbound and see them next at LHR and the reverse on the return? (I'm assuming nothing special.)
Nothing special indeed, bags will be checked through

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.