Wiki Posts
Search

SAA lounge at JNB - finished yet?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
SAA lounge at JNB - finished yet?

I've read some reviews on Skytrax that the SAA lounge at JNB is currently in refurb and there is a very poor alternative laid on.

Does anyone have info on this? I'll be spending a few hours in there on the 29th May (my birthday!) and don't want to be slumming it!
Old May 18, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Lifetime Plat
I'm flying tomorrow so I'll check it out....
Old May 20, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Any update?
Old May 23, 2009, 11:23 am

As of 23 May, the new Byobab (sp?) lounge in the international departure area (for business and *G) is still under construction. I asked the women at the desk when they expected the new lounge to be opened; they looked at each other and laughed. You need to turn left off the escalator and head towards the VA lounge but keep walking. Seems like your walking to nowhere (which you kind of are). Hope the new lounge will be finished by the 29th.
Old May 24, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks #10. Looks like it won't be pleasant then!

Business class is already sold out, so zero chance of somehow getting a freebie op-up.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Lifetime Plat
Apparently there is no set date for the opening of the new lounge, and the temporary lounge will be used for the foreseeable future.
Old May 24, 2009, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Shumba
Apparently there is no set date for the opening of the new lounge, and the temporary lounge will be used for the foreseeable future.
My Robben Island tour guide said: "In England, you have watches. In Africa, we have time."

Old May 30, 2009, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Still unfinished last night, and the temporary lounge was rammed to the point that people were standing.

This was unacceptable, so I blagged my way in to the First class lounge
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: EBG
Any news?

Having a transfer at JNB on 13 June, and would appreciate any news on the lounge situation.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Pax with business class tickets should be offered First class lounge, airfares are way to high to be forced to use such a disgusting lounge.

Voyager and alliance members travelling in Y should receive other compensation whilst this so called temp lounge is in use, that will force SAA to get their rears into gear.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:24 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ToreW
Having a transfer at JNB on 13 June, and would appreciate any news on the lounge situation.
I read the Sawubona (SA in-flight magazine) yesterday. In it, acting CEO Chris Smyth acknowldeges that the current Int lounge at JNB is substandard and asks passengers to have 'a few more months' (IIRC) patience (and assures us that the wait will be worth it). So it seems sure that on 13 June you will still be out of luck.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I read the Sawubona (SA in-flight magazine) yesterday. In it, acting CEO Chris Smyth acknowldeges that the current Int lounge at JNB is substandard and asks passengers to have 'a few more months' (IIRC) patience (and assures us that the wait will be worth it). So it seems sure that on 13 June you will still be out of luck.
Not good, but thanks for your update. Agree with SAWorldVoyager - they should have a better offer than a substandard lounge in a hub like this.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
The latest news I got on 12 June when I visited the lounge was that the new one will only open end August.

Its shameful that in JNB, BA, Emirates, Virgin, Air France, Swissair have swanky new lounges and the home carrier has this "room" with lousy old chairs, thats cramped and crowded even during off peak times.

The arrivals lounge at the Inter Continental is closed too, with no alternatives.

Most annoying.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:05 pm
soy

Programs: various
[QUOTE=SAWorldVoyager;11921276]Its shameful that in JNB, BA, Emirates, Virgin, Air France, Swissair have swanky new lounges and the home carrier has this "room" with lousy old chairs, thats cramped and crowded even during off peak times.
[QUOTE]

Are you sure Swiss have a lounge, their website suggest they use the SAA lounge.

Last edited by soy; Jun 22, 2009 at 8:50 pm
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
Are you sure Swiss have a lounge, their website suggest they use the SAA lounge.
They are now in the new pier - I think it's shared with a non-airline organisation - it does not feature a *G logo.

LH share with SA, but not LX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.