Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:44 am

I'm new to Melia Rewards and have been trying to find out more about the program. The website is not very informative and there's no sticky on this thread.

Here's what I've learned (if any of these are incorrect please feel free to correct):
- There is no published award chart. One must search by city or specific property in order to see the price in dollars, points or points + dollars for any given date.
- Award availability is variable. There appear to be some rooms released at a low fixed price. Once these are booked the price in points fluctuates, but can still be good value.
- Using a small amount of points to part-pay for a room can also present a good saving.
- The low fixed price rooms are cancellable with no penalty. I've not tried this, but apparently the points are instantly returned to your account.
- The variable priced rooms have a cancellation policy which matches the policy of the equivalent cash priced room.
- Purchasing points directly from Melia Rewards website extends the life of all points by a year from the date of purchase. Making a booking also extends the life of all points by a year from the check in date of the reservation.
- Purchasing points is easy and the points are instantly credited to the account.

Hope this helps others, and perhaps we can build a bit of a knowledge base.
Cheetah_SA and piblo like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There's an interesting promotion that has been running since Monday, I think, and I have only just jumped in myself. Buying points costs only €3.60 instead of the usual €5.00.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Concerto
There's an interesting promotion that has been running since Monday, I think, and I have only just jumped in myself. Buying points costs only €3.60 instead of the usual €5.00.
Definitely incredible savings to be had with this Black Friday/ Cyber Monday promo. Ends tonight though - unless they extend it again.

The app is more reliable for the points purchase than the web site.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by flood
I'm new to Melia Rewards and have been trying to find out more about the program. The website is not very informative and there's no sticky on this thread.

Here's what I've learned (if any of these are incorrect please feel free to correct):
- There is no published award chart. One must search by city or specific property in order to see the price in dollars, points or points + dollars for any given date.
- Award availability is variable. There appear to be some rooms released at a low fixed price. Once these are booked the price in points fluctuates, but can still be good value.
- Using a small amount of points to part-pay for a room can also present a good saving.
- The low fixed price rooms are cancellable with no penalty. I've not tried this, but apparently the points are instantly returned to your account.
- The variable priced rooms have a cancellation policy which matches the policy of the equivalent cash priced room.
- Purchasing points directly from Melia Rewards website extends the life of all points by a year from the date of purchase. Making a booking also extends the life of all points by a year from the check in date of the reservation.
- Purchasing points is easy and the points are instantly credited to the account.

This is an excellent basis for a Wiki!

I will add: Meliá points can be converted to miles/Avios in various FFPs . The ratio for Avios is 10:3. This is not allowed with bought points though.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Definitely incredible savings to be had with this Black Friday/ Cyber Monday promo. Ends tonight though - unless they extend it again.

The app is more reliable for the points purchase than the web site.
I managed to buy 20,000 points on the website for €72, but my nationality (or credit card billing country, can't remember which) is stuck on Afghanistan. Don't know how to change it. Probably have to call in.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:55 am

I managed to buy 20,000 points on the website for €72, but my nationality (or credit card billing country, can't remember which) is stuck on Afghanistan. Don't know how to change it. Probably have to call in.
I heard of someone else who had a similar issue. It doesn't seem to affect the ability to buy points or make bookings, and of course when you check in you show your actual passport and credit card.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
This is an excellent basis for a Wiki!

I will add: Meliá points can be converted to miles/Avios in various FFPs . The ratio for Avios is 10:3. This is not allowed with bought points though.
That's a good point. I think the purchased points are ring fenced for hotel bookings only.

Aadvantage transfers are even worse than Avios, 6:1 if memory serves.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's a good point. I think the purchased points are ring fenced for hotel bookings only.

Aadvantage transfers are even worse than Avios, 6:1 if memory serves.
There may be ways that end up neutralizing the ring-fencing of points from an account.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how, though. The best plan is probably to use them as quickly as reasonably possible.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
MeliaRewards facts summary

Hi flood, thanks for a good summary!
I'd just add that there was published award chart and I think it is still in place, but since the Melia website was redesigned, I can't find it anymore.

Here is the award chart with prices in points per night 'from':
3* Sol - from 11,000
4* Sol - from 14,000
Sol Hotels All Inclusive - from 25,000
TRYP by Wyndham 3* - from 11,000
TRYP by Wyndham 4* - from 17,000
INNSIDE by Meliá - from 17,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts 4* - from 17,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts 5* - from 22,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts All Inclusive - from 34,000
ME by Meliá - from 28,000
Gran Meliá Hotels & Resorts - from 28,000
ME All Inclusive - from 42,000
Paradisus Resorts - from 42,000

There are also exceptions to this list:
Meliá Hotels in Paris (France) - from 26,000
TRYP by Wyndham Hotels in Paris (France) - from 23,000
Meliá White House (London, UK) - from 21,538
ME London (UK) - from 45,500
Gran Meliá Rome (Italy) - from 37,000
Meliá Recoleta Plaza (Argentina) - from 23,400

The prices depend on the room type, current availability, etc.
Room cancellation rules vary by room type and even hotels: some have free cancellation (with various cut-off date), some have a penalty, some non-cancellable. For example, all-inclusive or upmarket resorts might require 30 days cancellation cut-off date for the cheapest rooms. It is very important to check this before booking. Melia doesn't have an airline-style policy, when you can cancel a flight within 24 hours after booking. Once you book a non-cancellable room, even by mistake, your points are spent.
When you cancel a refundable room, the points are credited back to your account automatically and immediately. This is a very valuable feature.
Melia also has a very helpful 24hr multilingual customer service line.

Last edited by dumba; Dec 20, 2019 at 4:44 am Reason: formatting
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those points prices seem low to me. I paid quite a bit more for a Melia Boutique Hotel on Mallorca, about 38,000 I think, but the hotel was very classy.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
Hey Concerto, I didn't say these are fixed prices. These are the starting prices in points. Depending on the demand, they can be higher. But if you book early enough, you can get those. I am not sure which Melia hotel in Palma de Mallorca you are referring to - there are many. Random search for a 1 night in February 2020 shows that a night in most of the hotels in Palma starts from 17/18k points per night, except two Gran Melia - which are starting from 28k points per night. Which is all in line with the table I posted earlier. Sadly, the points prices are dynamic, but if you are flexible, you can get a great deal.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, interesting post. I can’t remember right now, but the boutique hotel was somewhere towards the south of the island, nowhere near Palma. There was a Sol in the vicinity too. It was a really nice property, which made me feel I got good value from it all.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dumba
Hi flood, thanks for a good summary!
I'd just add that there was published award chart and I think it is still in place, but since the Melia website was redesigned, I can't find it anymore.

Here is the award chart with prices in points per night 'from':
3* Sol - from 11,000
4* Sol - from 14,000
Sol Hotels All Inclusive - from 25,000
TRYP by Wyndham 3* - from 11,000
TRYP by Wyndham 4* - from 17,000
INNSIDE by Meliá - from 17,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts 4* - from 17,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts 5* - from 22,000
Meliá Hotels & Resorts All Inclusive - from 34,000
ME by Meliá - from 28,000
Gran Meliá Hotels & Resorts - from 28,000
ME All Inclusive - from 42,000
Paradisus Resorts - from 42,000

There are also exceptions to this list:
Meliá Hotels in Paris (France) - from 26,000
TRYP by Wyndham Hotels in Paris (France) - from 23,000
Meliá White House (London, UK) - from 21,538
ME London (UK) - from 45,500
Gran Meliá Rome (Italy) - from 37,000
Meliá Recoleta Plaza (Argentina) - from 23,400

The prices depend on the room type, current availability, etc.
Room cancellation rules vary by room type and even hotels: some have free cancellation (with various cut-off date), some have a penalty, some non-cancellable. For example, all-inclusive or upmarket resorts might require 30 days cancellation cut-off date for the cheapest rooms. It is very important to check this before booking. Melia doesn't have an airline-style policy, when you can cancel a flight within 24 hours after booking. Once you book a non-cancellable room, even by mistake, your points are spent.
When you cancel a refundable room, the points are credited back to your account automatically and immediately. This is a very valuable feature.
Melia also has a very helpful 24hr multilingual customer service line.
Thanks dumba, this is excellent information. Unfortunate that they've removed this valuable info from their website.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:45 pm

Those points prices seem low to me. I paid quite a bit more for a Melia Boutique Hotel on Mallorca, about 38,000 I think, but the hotel was very classy.
I recently booked a Melia hotel, also more than the prices dumba quoted above but as noted those prices are "from xxxx points" so those must be the cheapest rates booked well in advance. I was quite happy with my booking at ~30k/night. Sounds like your Mallorca hotel was good as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.