Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Old Dec 19, 18, 9:48 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
Oh no it didn't!...

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Apparently the Melia Rewards points offer of 55,000 points resurfaced for one day last Friday, but at the higher price of GBP205. There was some talk (on HfP) that instead of the points from that offer being valid for just one year, that they are valid indefinitely as long as you complete a stay within a 12 month period. But I suspect the points are somehow ringfenced, as you can't turn those particular points in for airline miles. That suggest they are marked, somehow.

But my question is, what has happened to the buy points feature on Melia Rewards, once signed in? I couldn't find it anywhere, despite being signed in for a considerable length of time this evening and searching around for it. Withdrawn, maybe?
Oh my, you are right! I also can't see this option! It appears in the filter, but doesn't bring any results... In my case I can't buy more points because I exceeded my points purchasing limit for this year. Might this be the reason? Have you bought a lot of MeliaRewards points this year?
To find the 'Buy points' option one must go via points.com portal - there is a link to old design of Melia.com website and there is a 'Buy points' option available, but I see the message that I reached my limit for this year...
Let me know about your experience!
Old Dec 19, 18, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dumba View Post

Once the number of rooms allocated to lowest points bucket is exhausted, the prices in points go up.
Fine... except I have never actually seen rooms available at those flat rates and I don't book my hotel rooms 11 months in advance.

There surely is an algorithm that compares the cash rate to the points rate, once those flat rate rooms are gone.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by JFSV View Post
I have just purchased 35000 points for EUR 126. Overall good deal I would say to top up your Melia account (speculatively).
Where did you actually buy these from? The UK or Spanish amazon site? I too think it is a good deal and am ready to take a punt, in the absence of the Buy Miles option at melia.com.

Oh my, you are right! I also can't see this option! It appears in the filter, but doesn't bring any results... In my case I can't buy more points because I exceeded my points purchasing limit for this year. Might this be the reason? Have you bought a lot of MeliaRewards points this year?
To find the 'Buy points' option one must go via points.com portal - there is a link to old design of Melia.com website and there is a 'Buy points' option available, but I see the message that I reached my limit for this year...
I certainly didn't exceed my points buying limit this year, I didn't buy any. Probably their IT is all over the shop.
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Where did you actually buy these from? The UK or Spanish amazon site? I too think it is a good deal and am ready to take a punt, in the absence of the Buy Miles option at melia.com.
Spanish amazon site.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07JZDX9GJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A19DS4VOHXA6VT&psc=1
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: OZ, BAEC, SQ, AF
Correct, from the Spanish amazon site. Seems they still have some.
Old Dec 20, 18, 9:07 pm

Are there any Rewards points you can transfer in to Melia Rewards? AMEX? One of the Hotel or Airlines?
Old Dec 21, 18, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Are there any Rewards points you can transfer in to Melia Rewards? AMEX? One of the Hotel or Airlines?
I suppose that melia will consider these points as promotional points, if so it will not be possible to transfer them to any other programs
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piblo View Post
Thanks. I'm still dealing with the temptation of jumping in here. I really don't like the 1 year limit for using the points.
Old Dec 21, 18, 11:03 am

Amex MR into MeliaRewards

Yes, one can transfer Amex Spain Membership Rewards points into MeliaRewards with the exchange rate of 1:1.
https://catalogue.membershiprewards....enu-es1dhotels
Old Dec 21, 18, 11:06 am

MeliaRewards algorithm

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Fine... except I have never actually seen rooms available at those flat rates and I don't book my hotel rooms 11 months in advance.

There surely is an algorithm that compares the cash rate to the points rate, once those flat rate rooms are gone.
Ah yes, sure, there is an algorithm kicking in later on, of course. Sorry, my point was that there is some logic when charging in points and the minimum prices
Old Dec 21, 18, 1:41 pm

Yes, one can transfer Amex Spain Membership Rewards points into MeliaRewards with the exchange rate of 1:1.
https://catalogue.membershiprewards....enu-es1dhotels
I see, but i guess there are no US programs that can transfer into Melia?
Old Dec 26, 18, 10:41 am

I see, but i guess there are no US programs that can transfer into Melia?
Seems like no... https://catalogue.membershiprewards....ansferpartners
dreamspeed likes this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I really wasn't blown away by my Melia Berlin stay last night. The hotel, right next to Friedrichstrasse station, was nice enough but it quite lacked that extra little something. There was an extremely hard sell at check for my companion and I to receive a "nicer" room and breakfast for EUR28 per person, turned down flat and very apologetically (I mean, how else would you do it if they made such a daft offer?). Then, numerous things in the room didn't work and the amenities (such as a jammed soap dispenser) didn't work. Lastly the room was insufferably hot and stuffy, despite two windows being open (and this is Berlin in winter, although a relatively mild one). So, won't be staying there again!
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:59 pm

Has anyone ever booked for a third person with their MeliaRewards account? Are there any problems with check-in? I would like to use the 20% discount for a relative ...
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right, the option for buying Meliá points is still there, at points.com. Signing in, it just defaults back to your account page, with no sign of being able to buy points. But there is an option in the panel MeliáRewards benefits down below. That leads you to an old page where the cost per 1,000 points is €8, the old price. Then clicking through that brings you to a page where it says you have reached your limit. So it looks like we a done for here, as a means of extending points validity.

https://www.points.com/loyalty-partners/MeliaRewards

Originally Posted by piblo View Post
It looks like the special buy points option is still there. 35,000 points for €142.80 or 55,000 points for €224.40. Might be an option worth considering eventually

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07...p%3Bpsc=1&th=1

Search this Thread