Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jhm
I'm afraid not - from the T&C:

Plus you also need to bear in mind that you may need a visa for Shenzhen even if you don't need one for HK.
Thanks Jhm. I did look around the website but could't see it. That's a shame. I'll get to 40 nights in the 5 months between joining and the end of the year, but 60 looks beyond reach.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:23 pm

Curses. The Island Shangri La is booked out (but I'm waitlisted). I may have to jump over the the Shenzheng Shangri La just to get my second property!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:27 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
Curses. The Island Shangri La is booked out (but I'm waitlisted). I may have to jump over the the Shenzheng Shangri La just to get my second property!
Can't you stay at the Kowloon Shangri-La ?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:43 pm

Well, yes, I was thinking of the shopping @ Shenzheng, but that's a very good point. And if I flip over for a night then my one staff becomes three from the point of view of Frequent Flyer points.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Well, yes, I was thinking of the shopping @ Shenzheng, but that's a very good point. And if I flip over for a night then my one staff becomes three from the point of view of Frequent Flyer points.
I think this was jhm's point and it represents good advice IMHO. Another point, after you stay at Kowloon property, you may never retutn to Island property. Suggest you request high level room overlooking the breathtaking view they have of Victoria Harbor. WOW! Also, suggest you ask to shake hands with one of the real gentlemen and talents in the Shangri-la Executive Management organization if his schedule will allow---Mr. Heywood, General Manager, Kowloon, Shangri-la and of course mention your dilemma with the Golden Circle award program.

Regards
747LWW
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
I think this was jhm's point and it represents good advice IMHO. Another point, after you stay at Kowloon property, you may never retutn to Island property. Suggest you request high level room overlooking the breathtaking view they have of Victoria Harbor. WOW! Also, suggest you ask to shake hands with one of the real gentlemen and talents in the Shangri-la Executive Management organization if his schedule will allow---Mr. Heywood, General Manager, Kowloon, Shangri-la and of course mention your dilemma with the Golden Circle award program.

Regards
747LWW
Well, I'm waitlisted, hopefully it will come through for me. I'm working on the island, in the same complex as those hotels, so Kowloon would be less convenient. But on the weekend it won't matter.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:56 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
I understand that the promotion is now concluded. I apparently received credit for 7 nights hence 1 stay basis the rules as I interpret them. Would others like to share their results?
I received credit for my stays in Shanghai (2) and Bangkok (1) but my stay in Singapore (2) didn't count because, as GC explained when I e-mailed them, that was before I joined the programme. The logic does make sense so I haven't followed this one up - I'll just have to keep an eye out for the next promotion which I believe is held from time to time ?

747LWW, do the rules specify where your free stay can be ? It just seems slightly odd that someone who stays four nights in a Traders hotel in China or Malaysia (i.e. a lower cost destination) gets the same free night as someone who stays the same number of nights in a Shangri-La in Singapore or HK.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
I received credit for my stays in Shanghai (2) and Bangkok (1) but my stay in Singapore (2) didn't count because, as GC explained when I e-mailed them, that was before I joined the programme. The logic does make sense so I haven't followed this one up - I'll just have to keep an eye out for the next promotion which I believe is held from time to time ?

747LWW, do the rules specify where your free stay can be ? It just seems slightly odd that someone who stays four nights in a Traders hotel in China or Malaysia (i.e. a lower cost destination) gets the same free night as someone who stays the same number of nights in a Shangri-La in Singapore or HK.
Hi jhm!

I trust all is well with you.

Regarding credit at Singapore, I would follow-up with Valley Wing personnel (if you need email addresses let me know). Why? In my view, you could have stayed one night there, checked out, and checked in at Traders or Rosa Sentosa and qualified, right? (or did I misunderstand the T&C of the promotion and your joining Golden Circle requirements/conditions/timing?)

Seemingly, you are being denied at least one of the intended promo benefits-goodwill- and could have avoided the problem at a revenue loss to Shangri-la Inc.but you elected to take such action. I hope GC will reconsider your case--suggest you ask for Supervisor or Manager review if by email. If it were me, I would call and ask to speak to Supervisor or Manager (as you know, HK address and phone number. If you need info please PM.

Regarding the issue you directed to my attention, basis my somewhat related correspondence with Golden Circle, I understand that the "free night" can be used at any Shangri-la property. In response to your implied question, I assume that the free night is designed prinicipally to showcase the chain of properties. Do all guests benefit equally...I suspect not.

As you stated, if a person who normally stays at Traders "moves up" to try a Shangri-la hotel there is a good chance that the person will at least continue to be a frequent guest of Traders and perhaps a modest chance the person will stay more frequently at Shangri-la in the future should there be no Trader properties available at a particular location.

If a person normally stays at Shangi-la, I assume they will use the cupon to stay a free night at a Shangri-la or perhaps a Resort rather than Traders. Same for those who stayed at resorts for the 4 night minimum requirement to gain a "free" night cupon. I assume they will use the cupon the next time they are at a resort rather than use it at a Shangri-la or Traders

So my guess is the cupon will encourage additional visits (not many people stay one night at a hotel as you well know) with some "accomodation level" creep that will likely "pay out" to the chain over time by generating addtional revenue.

What do you think the Shangri-la marketing strategy is all about? In my opinion, the policy on this promotion by Shangri-la is not much different then many major brand hotel chain promotions, guest reward programs, etc., who often reward you with "award stays based on the number of paid-stay nights" rather than "visit expenditure" (e.g., stay at a cheap hotel in lowest cost room and you often get the same credit as you would if you stayed at same hotel in a suite or alternatively, in their most expensive hotel in the chain in their most expensive room.) Interesting.

I trust the following is still on-topic as it is just an analogy although not an especially good one. IMHO and as you know better than I, the international airline industry apparently operates their frequent "guest" promotional programs a little differently,as they seem to usually provide incentives for C and F class passengers compared with Y folks I bring to your attention, however, one very successful low-cost domestic service only US airline that provides each member of their program with one point after each one-way flight regardless of the miles flown and the cost of the ticket ---Southwest Airlines (Y only, no C or F). Thus you receive one point for a 160mile flight one-way from Houston to Austin on Southwest which only costs about US$50. This is the same number of points you receive one way from NYC to LA (~3500 miles and ~ $US400 cost) on Southwest. By the way, this airline gives you a free systemwide round trip ticket for your use or for someone designated by you, each time one acquires 16 points in a one year period. The complimentary award ticket has no capacity controls plus your use of the round trip free flight earns you 2 additional points in their "Rapid Rewards" frequent flyer program! ( I am a member as I use them for domestic flights.) In summary, 8 short round trips at min. cost and you can then fly transcontintial anywhere on their route free. (Very generous in my view.)

Warmest regards,
747LWW
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:26 pm

Well, I'm waitlisted, hopefully it will come through for me. I'm working on the island, in the same complex as those hotels, so Kowloon would be less convenient. But on the weekend it won't matter.
Hooray, the waitlist came through. I have a 'City view room' which I assume is not as good as a 'Harbour view'?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Hooray, the waitlist came through. I have a 'City view room' which I assume is not as good as a 'Harbour view'?
Hello again, FortuneofWar:

I am delighted that you "cleared" the waitlist and I celebrate with you! Oh, I am jealous of you as I think about the sights and sounds of HK---truly one of the greatest cities in the Far East.

For me, I love the "water" in general and the serene, spectacular scene that encompasses the "Harbor View" in HK. Hence I personally would prefer a room that provides such a view. However, I expect that the "city" view from your fine hotel will also be quite pleasing so do not worry. (By the way, I recommend you ask to visit one of the rooms that overlook the harbor while you are there as perhaps it might appeal to you and if so, you can request such a room during your next visit.)

Upon completion of your journey, I hope you will share your hotel experience with those of us that read this thread as I am sure everone will be interested in your impressions,thoughts, and recommendations.

Have fun!!!

747LWW
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Traders Hotel Promotion

I happened to uncover this promotion involving Traders Hotel, a Shangri-la chain as many of you know. My question is why should we not have mention of this item on the Golden Circle or Shangri-la site? Stated another way, why would the promotion not be advertised widely? Is it a secret?

My apologies to all if I have overlooked it and it does appear somewhere other than the United Airline MP site. jhm and you other careful observers of the travel sections of the web, please advise if you see it somewhere.

Any explaination from Golden Circle?

Text follows:

Toast the newest Traders Hotel with triple miles throughout Asia

Now through October 31, 2006

Traders Hotels is celebrating the opening of its newest property in Kuala Lumpur with triple miles and special privileges. You’ll earn triple miles for qualifying stays of two or more consecutive nights at a Smart Deals rate. You’ll also enjoy free breakfast and late check-out (3 pm), in addition to special benefits selected by the hotel. This offer is valid at Traders Hotels in Beijing, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Dubai, Changzhou, Kunshan, Shenyang, Penang and Yangon.

Make your reservation today. Book online at www.tradershotels.com or call 1-866-565-5050. Select or ask for a Smart Deals rate at the time of booking to earn triple miles.

Terms and Conditions:
Triple miles offer is for a minimum of two consecutive nights on Smart Deals rates at Traders Hotels only. Offer is subject to availability and cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions. Offer valid September 1 through October 31, 2006.
Promotion Code: MPH 616

regards
747LWW
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Competative Hotel Frequent Guest Award Program Comparision

I recently discovered a comparison of 4 major hotel chain frequent guest programs (which does not include Shangri-la, unfortunately) on the user-friendly, widely respected Starwood chain site.

The link is www.starwood.com then click on Member Benefits at the top of the page then on the left side of the next page on "Comparison". The Frequent Guest Programs that are compared are as follows: Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hyatt Gold Passport, and Priority Club Rewards. I urge you to review the information presented on this site as it is very interesting!

I bring this matter to the attention of loyal Shangri-la Hotel Golden Circle members like myself for comparasion purposes and especially for those individuals who may travel to distinations where Shangri-la does not have a property and hence may be interested in acquiring a second, etc. hotel affiliation.

Also, I thought the referenced comparison might be of benifit to any Golden Circle employees who may review this thread from time to time so that they could help us understand the differences in the Golden Circle program and their competitor's programs. Stated another way, perhaps experts could identify the advantages of Golden Circle membership.

Comments from any and all on this matter would be most welcome!

By the way, sorry I could not capture the matrix displayed on the Starwood site and display it here for your convenience but I simply do not know how to acomplish this task. Perhaps others could assit in this regard?

747LWW
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Just discovered a site that provides an annual readers survey conducted by the prestious Conde' Nest travel magazine, here is link:

[URL=http://www.concierge.com/bestof/readerschoice/top_hotels/tophotels_asia[/URL] .

I noted with interest that their list of "Worlds Best Hotels for 2005", which acording to the fine print is derived from the results of ~29000 reader surveys that were returned to them out of their circulation of over 300,000, had the Shangri-la's Island Hotel in Hong Kong as the top entry for any Shangri-la property and that put this property as #15 on their list. Shangri-la Singapore appeared at # 35 (I wonder if this was average of the Garden Wing, the Tower Wing, and the highly esteemed Valley Wing, or just one of the three, two of the three, etc.). For those interested, #1 in World in this survey was Peninsular, Hong Kong.

I recommend you review the entire survey---they included airlines , etc. in other sections.

747LWW
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Golden Circle Promotion- Free Night Details

I though readers of this thread may be interested in a reply I recently received regarding the details of a pending attempt to use a "free night stay" at a Shangri-la property that was awarded basis a now closed Golden Circle promotion event.

This is the response I was provided by Golden Circle following an email request for information:

"Thank you for your email again of 21 September 2006 regarding Golden
Circle
free room nights promotion.

Please be informed that all free nights acquired from this promotion
can be
redeemed at any Shangri-La hotels or resorts and Traders hotels till 15
December 2006. Redemption request for free nights must be made at
least 7
days in advance with the Golden Circle Center by phone or e-mail and is
subject to availability at time of booking. In addition, free nights
earned
will be redeemed at the best room category available at time of booking
excluding "suites".

Upon receipt of your request to redeem your free room night, we will
handle
your request and reservation confirmation with a confirmation number
will
be sent to you directly by our Worldwide Reservation Centre if the
redemption is in order. You may simply present your Golden Circle
membership card and your confirmation number upon check in to enjoy the
benefit."
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:46 pm

In 747LWW's absence from the forum (trust there's nothing too serious going on there) I'll step up to the plate to make sure the thread about my favourite hotel stays on the radar.....bump!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.