Club Quarters

Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Club Quarters

I just returned from my trip to dca. i stayed at club quarters. the company i works for has a membership. i reserved my room three months ahead of time. asked for the biggest room with two beds (a pull out couch would do). when i got there at 3pm, check in time, we were told our room wasnt done. so we went into the bar and waited for an hour and a half. finally to our rooms, open the door and its a closet with two single beds. we had three people. i go back downstairs and explain my case. she says thats what was on the reservation. then she "upgrades" us to a suite, 45 minutes later. we open the door and its only slightly larger with one queen and a pull out. and DIRTY. for some reason we looked under the bed and there were crumpled up kleenex i dont want to know! no sheets for the pullout or pillows, none either in the supply closet in the hallway. at the end of the trip, she, the manager, says she did us a favor and didnt charge us for the "suite". we had to catch our plane so i didnt have time to work it out. what/who should i talk to and what should i look for because of this hassle?

p.s. this is not the first time ive had this happen at club quarters. same thing in new york at the downtown one.

Last edited by grbflyer; Jul 12, 2005 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Club Quarters DC Review

This was my first time booking and staying at a Club Quarters hotel, although I travel about 2-3 times a month. I felt it would be a comparable value to say Priceline with perhaps a few extra perks.

The Booking Process
I found an Expedia rate for about $95, but I am affiliated with a company that is a CQ member that offered a better rate. However, the CQ web site will only book member standard week day rates. It will not book the discounted weekend and holiday rates which represent a tremendous value such as might be found on Priceline.

Like most chains CQ has a centralized reservations phone number which is (212) 575-0006. When this office is closed, you are prompted for which CQ city you want to book, and then are transferred to the front desk of said hotel. The front desk, apparently not aware of this telephone forwarding practice, kept forwarding me back to the CQ centralized reservations. I was stuck in this loop for about 2-3 cycles.

Finally I got the front desk agent on the phone. First he tried to tell me the hotel was sold out. I did not think this was true since it showed rooms available on the CQ web site. He then agreed the hotel had rooms, and he quoted me a total of 3 rates before reaching the weekend rate that I wanted. In other words, I had to keep prompting him that I wanted the weekend rate before he finally gave it to me. Then he only took my last name, and no other information. I asked him if he needed my credit card number and other details, and he said no. I was advised I had a confirmed reservation, and that it would even be held after 6:00 P.M. without a credit card. The agent really did not want to book this, and it felt like I was really troubling him to complete this transaction. Eventually the room was booked in an unfriendly and cold sort of way.

As a test I also called the centralized reservation number, and selected Boston. At Boston, the front desk also seemed unaware that central reservations forwards calls to the hotels, but they were friendlier in answering my questions about rates.

I travel enough to know this seemed strange so later on I called CQ centralized reservations to confirm. They had no reservation for me, and they transferred me back to the hotel. The hotel said that they had no reservation either. Also at this point the hotel was trying to charge me a higher price than the one they had confirmed earlier on in the day. One agent spoke to another one, and coming back to the line, they told me the first agent thought I was going to call them back to confirm the reservation when it was my understanding it was confirmed. At this point they were closing the door on the airplane I was on, and it made my blood boil! It was not like I could not find another hotel, but just the shoddy rude and incompetent service I had gotten from most all of the hotels front desk agents by telephone. The service from the hotel thus far was one star.

Check In
The plane landed, and I vowed to go to the hotel and straighten it out rather than take the easy way out and say just book a Priceline room. Plus I genuinely wanted to check out CQ since I had never stayed their before. I also felt this should be CQ's mess to fix not mine.

I arrived at the hotel, and after a bit of rankling and again not finding my reservation, they did agree to force the system to honor the weekend rate even though at this point it was technically not available. They actually gave me a slightly lower rate than the agent quoted over the phone. FYI this weekend rate was approximately $75 per night, so that's a good DC value no matter how you cut it! Given how unhelpful they were by phone, I was a little apprehensive that they would not fix this problem when I arrived, but they did as noted. While the error was corrected, they never appologized nor empathized in regards to the trouble I had with the booking and arrival process.

Hotel Room, Location, Services
I was placed in an "executive" which is the smallest room type CQ's offer. All CQ's have these rooms which are called executives. The room had a bed with at least average comfort, a desk, flat screen TV over the desk, clock radio with a cord that can connect to MP3 player (reminded me of the Hilton radio), and wifi. Also at CQ hotels you receive a direct 10 digit phone number where people can call you. Also this would enable one to say forward your phone calls to that number since it would go directly to you or your voicemail if you were out of the room. The air conditioning unit was not the quietest but not the loudest, and I don't think it would have bothered me if I had to keep it on all night. Again, the room was very small, but this was largely psychological. After all, why would one person need all this extra space? It would be perfect if you were not going to spend much time in the room, but I don't know how it would be if there a long time. But again you have your bed, your desk, your bathroom, etc., and its not like your going to pace around a big room anyway. The shower water pressure was adequate which I liked. There is nothing worse than bad (low) water pressure. As noted in other reviews, bathroom very small and only one wash cloth provided which was fine for me staying alone. I did see a housekeeping cart in the hall where I grabbed some extra towels, but I don't know if this is normally available. The hotel provides soap, shampoo, and mouth wash.

It is a good location, but again the Farragut West 17th street exit is closed on the weekends. However, this exit is literally right next door to the hotel. I'm not sure why in Washington people have a fascination or interest in how close a hotel is to the White House, because its not like you can drop by there for a beer or coffee or to say hello to the residents.

One guest went to the front desk in the evening, and wanted to change rooms because they said something had bitten or eaten them. I don't know what to make of seeing this. It made me nervous about cleanliness, but again I don't know what to make of it.

Conclusions
In conclusion, I do think the hotel provides a great value for midweek and weekend stays. If you book through CQ as part of a member organization, you get a discount certificate every business stay. Like other big cities, midweek DC hotel stays (even for a 3* like say a Hilton Garden Inn) can cost you $200-$400. So the CQ represents a great value. The trend right now, June 2006, shows hotel prices very high even for modest accommodations so there can be no question that CQ is a value leader while providing a 2 or 3 star experience.

I was disappointed in the service overall and the level of friendliness of the staff. There was one lady who was very friendly and helpful, but most of the rest of the staff largely was not.

I will try to book the reservations in the future either on the web, or through CQ member services. I suspect that the front desk agents are not really trained in reservations.

I would recommend that you read the Features section of the main Club Quarters web site to learn more about amenities, programs, and services which sound interesting. You can also see the various room types that all CQ hotels offer. CQ does not offer a multi level frequent guest program like chains such as Starwood or Kimpton do.

I would stay here again not because I loved the hotel, but it does offer good value, has a good location, and also they will store your items for about $4 between visits. Also having the direct dial phone number is a cool feature. Its certainly adequate if you mainly need a place to sleep, and its silly to pay $200 or more a night for that if your not going to really enjoy a 3-4-5 star place. I would think long and hard though before booking this if I was going to spend a long time in the room or be entertaining anyone but very close friends. Also the hotel offers larger rooms at higher prices.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
It's been a while since there has been a discussion about Club Quarters in this forum. What's the current concensus? Has it improved? Is it worth it?

A new company will be spending lots of time in NYC, and Club Quarters presents an intriguing option for lots of stays there...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I had a project in Lower Manhattan last year and reserved several night at the CQ, and encouraged my team to do the same. Within a couple of weeks we were all staying at the Chelsea Four Points, two subway trains and about 20 minutes away, and $80/night more. It was simply unacceptable to professional business travelers.

If I were in town on my own dime, by myself, I might stay there for a night or two. But I wouldn't take a family member/friend there.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have stayed at the CQ in downtown Chicago a number of times on the weekend (all PL or HW I believe) and found the rooms and service top notch. Are these locations franchisee or company owned? Could that explain the difference in experience.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:24 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the "Other Hotel Programs" Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
I like the CQ, but only for a few days.

I stay at the CQ in Houston quite frequently. I've also stayed at the CQ in Philly. I'm a Hilton/Intercontinental guy, but I don't mind staying at the CQ when I need to stay downtown, mainly because of the low rates. Its always a great deal. When people ask me about the room size, I'm honest. They are small rooms, perfect for someone traveling alone and only staying 1-3 nights. (I did spend a week (5 nights) at the CQ-Houston once and will admit I was feeling a bit cramped by the end of my stay.) I will agree that everything is well organized for a small space. My biggest complaint is that you have to go to the supply closet in the hallway for a iron and ironing board or call the front desk.

The staff at the CQ-Houston is awesome. I got upgraded to a suite the last night I was there. They are always pleasant and very helpful. The Table 7 bistro connected to the lobby is good place to grab a meal if you don't want to leave the hotel (although there are a ton of good restaurants around, that are never crowded in the mid-week evenings).

I'm thinking about staying at one of the CQs in NYC. Any advice on which one (WTC, Midtown, Rockefeller Plaza) is the best deal?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I stayed in the Club Quarters DC and found it to be "just okay." Given the good rate and, as another FTer mentioned, good location, it was fine, I suppose, for my purposes. However, if one was wanting a true hotel experience, Club Quarters really isn't going to give you that. My room was also very small (the executive) but since I was barely in my room during my stay other than just for sleeping, it was alright. If you're looking for excellent service and nice hotel amenities, you won't get it from CQ. It's fairly utilitarian, but it wasn't a negative experience either. Overall, I rate it as "just okay." My preference is usually to try to find a great rate at more of a "hotel" sort of hotel (usually one I'm loyal to). If I'm unsuccessful finding a near-comparable rate somewhere else and need to go on a budget, I'd consider CQ.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just checked in to the CQ World Trade Center in New York. The location is overlooking Ground Zero so I am a little worried about noise. Normally I am am SPG or Hilton gal, but there was literally nothing available for less than $400 this week, so I decided to give a whirl rather than hike from one of the bridge and tunnel locales. The rooms are certainly small and there are little things missing from the room. There are only two pillows(no extras in the closet) on the bed. Only one hand towel in the bathroom. Iron and boards are in the common guest hall closet, and when I went to get one at 8pm for the next morning they were all gone.there is no luggage rack, so ihad to place my suitcase on the only chair. Overall it is just okay, and I am glad I am not here long term.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:01 pm

Love the Club Quarters in Chicago.. Restaurant not so much..

The Club Quarters Chicago ( 75 East Wacker, Chicago, IL ) Hotel offers great service and frankly a very fresh look and feel to a hotel, which I find very appealing. Note, I travel very frequently and a Club Quarters is the only ""uniquely different"" hotel that I have found.

The downside with the Club Q on East Wacker in Chicago is the Bella Bacino Restaurant. Bella Basino's service is horrible and the food is unfortunatley, the worst I have ever tasted. The pizza was worse than a stale frozen pizza, ie the kind a college kid chokes down due to desperation. And Bella Bacino's staff will remind you of your least favorite TSA Agent, with out the pat down of course.

So two thumbs up for the Club Quarters, but dine elsewhere ... "
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, SkyMiles,Avis
I was not alone

I have the same experience as previous posters: liked the room, hated the service. Its on the smaller size but when in NYC, i dont expect more...

Good service, especially during the reservation, can really make or break the relationship between a client and the hotel.

IMO they should outsource their booking service after hours to a professional call center (some of them are not that bad and its not the most complicated task to accomplish) instead of forwarding to the front desk.
Large hotel chains has been doing it for years and it proven to be more efficient than having the very busy front desk handle those calls
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
CQ NYC

I've stayed multiple times at the CQ on 51st. It's a good location, and nice enough. Probably the smallest room I've ever stayed in, but it is NYC. I'd have no issues with staying there again.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Club Quarters has changed its "Night on the House" program from paper certs to an online system (and is running a double points promo -- i.e., one night free with every paid stay). Has anyone tried redemptions under either the old or new systems?

Availability seems to be tied to the "low member weekend rates" availability bucket, and I've never had any success calling in to get those. Plus, room redemptions have a $25 fee attached, knocking down the value even more.

They also seem to be marketing rooms to the public under parallel hotel names: River Hotel and Central Loop Hotel in Chicago, for instance.

Reservations/rewards/IT wackiness aside, the value can't be beat, and the recently spruced up rooms I saw last week at Chicago/Wacker were great -- with iHome units, K-Cup machines, new desk chairs, etc.

Last edited by paytonc; Mar 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AGR WOH
There's a promo (code BRND) on the front page right now promising 2X rewards -- in other words, buy one night, get one night free. No idea when it expires, but the rates shown look similar to the BAR.
https://be.synxis.com/?chain=14601&l...062.1615999450

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.