Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri La Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2003, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Shangri La Bangkok

Anyone have any recent info on this property.
Old May 17, 2003, 10:00 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
There is a discussion over at Cheryl's site that may interest you.

http://pub180.ezboard.com/fpriceline...picID=70.topic
Old May 18, 2003, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Davistev....looks a very nice place.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:26 pm

Programs: Many
I got the Shangri-La for US$66 on Priceline for November.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:19 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
just next door to the Oriental Mandarin, this is also a great place to stay (the only big diffence for me, compared to the Oriental, is the 'lack of history').

Shangri-La just announced:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">We understand that your travels have been affected recently and as a token of our gratitude for your loyalty, we have relaxed the tier upgrade criteria for valued Golden Circle members, such as yourself. Instead of 10 stays or 30 room nights required to achieve Executive status, if you stay only 8 times or 24 room nights during this calendar year you will be upgraded.</font>
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:19 pm

Shangri-La is certainly our hotel of choice for Bangkok. Great river location literally next to Skytrain station. Presumably the Krungthep wing is preferred. Seemingly much less impressed with themselves than Oriental. Or perhaps it isn't the Oriental, but the people who take themselves there.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:06 am

Does anybody know whether you receive Golden Circle benefits on a priceline stay?
I read the T&Cs and couldn't find anything that said you didn't.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
It's a great hotel, and right next door to the Skytrain, which gives you easy access to downtown.

I registered for Golden Circle just before my Priceline stay last August. I showed the printed-out membership card (they don't send you a physical card until after your first stay) to the desk at check in, and they gave me the free buffet breakfast (very nice) for the length of my stay.

However, I did not receive stay credit and have not received a physical card.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow not much of a thread

I've been staying here for years. They've messed up my room assignment twice in a row now. Original assignment both times (as reflected on the check-in card) was to my preferred corner balcony river view on a high floor on north side of the property. Then someone gives away my room prior to my arrival and they stick me on southside of building on floor 5 or 6 (really loud due to traffic from the river and highway).

This time I had confirmed with reservations in advance a northside room on a high floor, and they had assigned me 2014. When I checked in someone had given that away and they offered me a room southside 6th floor

I pay a big premium to stay at this property over Hyatt Erawan and the location is not at all convenient to Sukhumvit. I think I'm done here.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:44 am

Anyone know if you can use the facilities on the Kungthrep side of the hotel if staying on the main side? Vice versa?
Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FoggyBridges
Anyone know if you can use the facilities on the Kungthrep side of the hotel if staying on the main side? Vice versa?
Thanks!
Which facilities? From Shangri-La wing, you can certainly use the fitness center.

Krungthep wing is dead. Rooms are horribly outdated. I wouldn't even think of booking there.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hi Guys,
does anyone have recent experience to show with the rooms? How does the "Horizon Club" rooms compare to the "Krungthep Deluxe Balcony"? Which one would you prefer if they are equally priced? Are they worth an uplift of ~ 200 USD for a 3 nights stay compared to the "Deluxe River View" rooms or do you think they are just fine and good enough? Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: LH FTL
No one with advice?

No one out there to share insights on the comparison between the two options?

Any recent experience is appreciated.

Thx
Old May 31, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Which facilities? From Shangri-La wing, you can certainly use the fitness center.

Krungthep wing is dead. Rooms are horribly outdated. I wouldn't even think of booking there.
I thought all of the rooms were renovated in 2014 including the Krungthep wing?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Shangri-La Bangkok = Subpar Value without Loyalty Status

Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

89 Soi Wat Suan Plu, New Road Bangrak Bangkok, TH 10500

Shangri-La Bangkok = Subpar Value without Loyalty Status (13 Photos)

Shangri-La resisted for a long time giving me a status match, and continued to refuse even during covid when in theory they should have been hurting for business.  Consequently I have resisted staying at their hotels simply because I was unwilling to start from scratch with no benefits and have to work my way up to Diamond status (50 nights required) without the benefits that I would have at the big hotel chains.  That said I am running out of new hotels to try in Bangkok so out of curiosity I booked at Shangri-La for the bare minimum, a one-night staycation package which excludes loyalty benefits which was not a restriction that would apply to me anyway.  My stay was more or less aligned with my expectations with good service, an above average breakfast buffet, nice river views, however the room was entirely forgettable and moderately aging so it confirmed that it’s not a hotel I would want to stay at simply to make progress to elite status.  I would not mind staying at SL again, but not at the expense of giving up on the generous room / suite upgrades at other programs.  

Room

The Deluxe river view room was in decent condition but it has seen better days, which is not entirely different from other riverside hotels such as Peninsula and Royal Orchid Sheraton which have not been renovated for a while.  The one which was renovated is Millenium Hilton and they were unable to raise rates substantially afterwards so I cannot blame Shangri-La for not spending big money on renovations.  

My other concern about the room is that it was not very spacious for luxury hotel standards at 36 square meters and materially smaller than the rooms at Peninsula which start at 45 sqm.  Very little in the room stood out positively including the bathroom which was ok but nothing special.  The body lotion was L’Occitane but the rest was unbranded made in China although specifically made for Shangri-La and marked as being without parabens.

IMG_5972.jpegIMG_5973.jpegIMG_5974.jpegIMG_5975.jpegIMG_5976.jpegIMG_5977.jpeg

Dining

The breakfast was a strong point, first off the venue was excellent with lots of seating options outdoors by the river which makes it one of the best breakfast locations in the entire city.  The buffet itself was varied with a Thai station, Indian station, sushi station, etc.  The buffet was not self-service as a covid precaution; there was plenty of staff available to serve guests what they wanted which was better than some other less careful hotels right now which allow guests to manipulate tongs by themselves. 

IMG_5981.jpegIMG_5982.jpegIMG_5983.jpegIMG_5984.jpegIMG_5985.jpeg

We had a food & beverage credit to use during our stay and we did not want to go to the restaurant.  In-room dining was far less impressive than breakfast - I do not recall any 5-star hotel in Bangkok only offering three Asian main courses – this was very weak.

IMG_5979.jpeg

Among the riverside hotels in Bangkok, Shangri-La has possibly the best location of all because the hotel is adjacent to the Saphan Taksin sky train BTS station.  

Pool

We did not use the pool but it seemed quite nice and gave a resort-style feeling.

IMG_5980.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well with download speed 45 Mbps and upload speed 25 Mbps.

Overall

Overall the hotel was ok and can be a cheaper option than Peninsula, but more expensive than Royal Orchid Sheraton and Millenium Hilton.  The later two provide generous elite benefits which make it a hard sell for me to return at Shangri-La without breakfast, lounge access, and room upgrades because SL was ok but not fantastic enough to draw me back.  This is only a hotel I would recommend to travelers who do not have elite status at any hotel chain and who do not have the budget to pay for Peninsula or other more expensive riverside hotels.

Shangri-La Bangkok = Subpar Value without Loyalty Status

Would you like to write a review on the Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.