Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: GHA Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by escape4
During a stay at a Kempinski, I was chatting with staff and they seemed to have a bit more information regarding the new program than what is publicly available. It sounds like elite tier qualification will be via spend OR nights, similar to Hyatt and Hilton. They mentioned 30 nights for top tier, or $15k USD. It seems $15k is very steep but anyway the current route of 30 nights would remain so it does not make qualification more difficult than it is now, it simply provides an additional route for high spenders. They also mentioned that there might be a third route to quality, which is via the number of brands stayed in a year. They said 3 brands would get top tier which is hard for me to believe because it would be infinitely easier that way, than qualifying via $15k spend.

Another interesting tidbit is that one of the new elite tier perks would be having access to GHA hotel facilities even if not staying at the hotel.
Spend OR nights, and the top tier qualification remained the same. That's better that what I expected . For the three-brand stay, I think they might offer some kind of challenge maybe?, ex. stay three brands for XX nights within XX months. Similar to the acceralate mission from IHG? If it's simply only stay a night at each brand, that would be veryyyyyyyy easy for me. Thailand has 6-7 domestically.
The new perk of accessing the facility when not staying is such a ++++. Love it.

Current unused local experience awards will be eliminated next month, and to be converted to points as compensation. The conversion ratio and/or the value of points is still unknown.

In the future hotels might continue to have some kind of local experiences but they will be provided at a charge for guests, so for me that's no different than any other hotel where you can pay to go to the spa or book excursions if you wish. So that's not really an elite guest perk, just a standard offering that hotels do.
I am quite certain that the conversion rate would be not that good . But we'll see.
I think I will use some of them, and let the remaining be converted to points. I currently have 6, saving for international trip but they decided to eliminate it .

Last edited by Rambluesky; Oct 19, 2021 at 9:28 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Quite excited to be able to use hotel facilities. If I can pop to the Anantara Dubai to chill for free that would be enough a perk for me.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:27 am

During a stay at a Kempinski, I was chatting with staff and they seemed to have a bit more information regarding the new program than what is publicly available. It sounds like elite tier qualification will be via spend OR nights, similar to Hyatt and Hilton. They mentioned 30 nights for top tier, or $15k USD. It seems $15k is very steep but anyway the current route of 30 nights would remain so it does not make qualification more difficult than it is now, it simply provides an additional route for high spenders. They also mentioned that there might be a third route to quality, which is via the number of brands stayed in a year. They said 3 brands would get top tier which is hard for me to believe because it would be infinitely easier that way, than qualifying via $15k spend.

Another interesting tidbit is that one of the new elite tier perks would be having access to GHA hotel facilities even if not staying at the hotel.
https://visit.discoveryloyalty.com/g...und-the-world/

New updates from their website. So that 3-brand thing seems to be true. It would be very easy to reach BlackTitanium then.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Rambluesky

New updates from their website. So that 3-brand thing seems to be true. It would be very easy to reach BlackTitanium then.
Very interesting. I would assume that they wouldn't allow you to recycle brands YOY? Would be TOO easy to cycle the same handful then to keep status.

Last edited by onetouchpass; Nov 1, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:11 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Wow, I thought it was too good to be true when I heard it first. But sounds like it will be the case - only 3 one-night stays in different brands sufficient to reach top tier. Very easy for Dubai and Bangkok, among other places.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by onetouchpass
Very interesting. I would assume that they wouldn't allow you to recycle brands YOY? Would be TOO easy to cycle the same handful then to keep status.
I have the same thoughts as well. YOY recycle would be too easy to reach top tier status. Maybe they will set a limit that it shouldn’t be a same brand in the consecutive year or sth. We’ll have to wait and see the full T&C

Wow, I thought it was too good to be true when I heard it first. But sounds like it will be the case - only 3 one-night stays in different brands sufficient to reach top tier. Very easy for Dubai and Bangkok, among other places.
Yes, I agree that if it is only 3 one-night stays, it will be very easy for Bangkok-based member (like me) and some selected cities. But if the status is easy to get, I wonder that the elite status recognition and experience will go downhill or not, since there will be too much elites member in those cities.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The 3 brands stay requirements will be way much easier to achieve compare to the spends or nights requirements.

The spends qualification also good for encourage members trying their higher priced brands or booked higher type rooms.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: NZ
Achieving Titanium via 3 brands is great for me as there are numerous brands in NZ and all fairly cheap. However I don't think Titanium itself will come with too many real benefits (room upgrades, late check-out "subject to availability") though I like the idea of using a hotel's facilitites even if you are not staying there.

I suspect that Discovery Dollars (D$) is where the real benefits will lie, and that will require $$ spend. I am thinking they will give you D$5 for every $100 spend, with uplifts for elite status (maybe, 25% Gold, 50% Paltinum, 75% Titanium), but that is just a pure guess. Also, I wonder if they will do regular promotions for extra D$ like Marriott, Hilton and IHG?

Local experiences may stay, but I suspect they will have a $ cost attached to them which you can use your D$ to pay for.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
Local experiences may stay, but I suspect they will have a $ cost attached to them which you can use your D$ to pay for.
That's what I was told. So if we have to pay for it, then local experiences are pretty much dead to me. Every hotel offers such services for a charge so it's nothing special.

Regarding promotions, all hotel chain has promotions once in a while but GHA by virtue of not having points, they were limited in what they could do besides double night qualification credits. So going forward I am sure there will be promos.

If they retain +2 room category upgrade for Titatinium it will have value at some hotels which do not have too many room categories.

Also, the early check-in and late check-out has historically also been very competitive versus other hotel chains - this is another area of value.
Rambluesky likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
The spends qualification also good for encourage members trying their higher priced brands or booked higher type rooms.
If you have a guest spending $20-30k per year in a single expensive vacation of 7-14 days, realistically it makes business sense to give top tier to that guest despite the low night count. Most hotel chains have a spend-related path to top tier even if very few nights per year (Hyatt, Hilton, Accor, IHG) and it was missing from GHA. It's definitely a decent option to add for some travellers.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:22 pm

I suspect that Discovery Dollars (D$) is where the real benefits will lie, and that will require $$ spend. I am thinking they will give you D$5 for every $100 spend, with uplifts for elite status (maybe, 25% Gold, 50% Paltinum, 75% Titanium), but that is just a pure guess. Also, I wonder if they will do regular promotions for extra D$ like Marriott, Hilton and IHG?
From what I heard, they certainly will provide bonus D$ based on your etile status. But I am not sure with what percentage.

Also, the early check-in and late check-out has historically also been very competitive versus other hotel chains - this is another area of value.
Historically for 80%+ of my stay, I am granted with late check-out at 3pm as Platinum and 5-6pm as Black. But early check-in is quite subject to availability. So I agree that this benefit is valuable.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: NZ
....Historically for 80%+ of my stay, I am granted with late check-out at 3pm as Platinum and 5-6pm as Black. But early check-in is quite subject to availability. So I agree that this benefit is valuable.
This is good to know. How about upgrades?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:53 am

This is good to know. How about upgrades?
I always get upgraded when I’m staying in Thailand — except the New Year’s stays. Maybe because I’m a local, or maybe that’s not a reason.

For other countries (I only stayed in Asia anyway) — I was Platinum pre-covid, but I usually (meaning, more than 80%) got one-category upgrade. If not available, they will try to get me the high-floor or better room, that kinda thing.

one-cat upgrade for many properties did not make that much difference if you book a lower room type. But at some hotel, if you booked a room below the room+club access level and got upgrade, that upgrade will come with club benefit as well (namely, Anantara Chiang Mai and Siam Kempinski Bangkok)
minz56 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I did get at least one cat upgrade in all of my stay except 1, Capella Ubud due to the next category villa was fully booked.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:08 am

I usually get +2 upgrade, sometimes even better. There are a handful of hotels which will not upgrade +2 depending on the room type booked, for example if +2 would end up being a villa or a 2-bdr suite then it might be out of bounds. It does require checking in advance with some properties to make sure, but for the most part upgrades are given proactively.
minz56 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.